News:

*** BRIEF DOWNTIME SCHEDULED FOR 8:15 ***


Omar (not) listening.

Started by Endicott, September 07, 2021, 09:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Nehamkin

Omar going...


Super sad. He was great.

shiftwork2

This is very sad, terrific in that role.  Finding out that his middle name was Kenneth has put a smile on my face that I suppose he never would have understood.

RIP

bgmnts

Yeah heard it last night, was he was 'no age'.

Very good actor in my view who should've been in more.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 07, 2021, 12:54:59 PM
This is very sad, terrific in that role.  Finding out that his middle name was Kenneth has put a smile on my face that I suppose he never would have understood.

RIP

He was aware of his partial namesake:

Quote from: @rufusjones1The K in Michael K Williams stands for Kenneth and one of the first things I ever did on Twitter was contact him and tell him who Kenneth Williams was. He was intrigued, and we briefly chatted about a Carry On clip I sent him. The thrill was - I suspect- completely mine.

Fantastic actor, absolutely magnetic in everything I have seen him in. RIP.

kngen

Scunnered. Had been watching Boardwalk Empire these past few weeks, of which he is a highlight of course, and found myself on Sunday night idly wondering what he was up to these days, knowing that he'd had drug use issues during The Wire, and hoping that he'd got that aspect of his life under control. Was a real punch in the guts when I got the news update on my phone last night. Made it all the more cruel.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

West and K. Williams commentary on The Wire DVDs are really fun. Wouldn't be surprised if some level of intake had been had.

Guy as Omar was electric, something in his eyes. Sure, some good direction emphasised it but he was box office.

The line 'I got the shotgun, you got the briefcase' back in the day was a philosophical turning point on my views, and I guess both that character and the actor as a person exemplified the importance of not looking at life or people in absolutes.

bgmnts

Yeah the thing about Omar is he is such a fantasy character in such a grounded, brutally so, world yet somehow imparts and highlights a lot of the philosophy of the show.

sevendaughters

so many of the characters are wrapped up in their own mythos (as it is, weirdly, with realism) and i think of Omar as a character that deliberately queers it, quite literally in some cases, a romantic amongst the intensely pragmatical, someone for whom performance is life and death. i think MKW knew that intimately, had been part of choreographing queer dance for years, an absolutely nuanced performance from someone who deserved as much as some of the others from the show.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 07, 2021, 12:54:59 PM
Finding out that his middle name was Kenneth has put a smile on my face

Did Carry On do well in America? I can't imagine his folks were big fans of ooh matron!

Custard

Great in The Wire and Boardwalk Empire. Not seen him in much else, except a supporting role in that toothless RoboCop remake. But what an actor, what a face, and his sheer presence every time he was on screen. Or even when he wasn't, in some cases. "Omar's walking. Omar's strolling"

Really sad, RIP

This might make me finally get my arse in gear and start a Wire rewatch

Waking Life

Quote from: kngen on September 07, 2021, 01:20:41 PM
Scunnered. Had been watching Boardwalk Empire these past few weeks, of which he is a highlight of course, and found myself on Sunday night idly wondering what he was up to these days, knowing that he'd had drug use issues during The Wire, and hoping that he'd got that aspect of his life under control. Was a real punch in the guts when I got the news update on my phone last night. Made it all the more cruel.

Exactly the same. Had just watched a Chalky heavy episode (where he didn't end up in a good place)  and then browsed the news after it finished, so it felt all the more shitty. I'd just been thinking that he'd done well on the tv front and thought he probably deserved more juicy film roles.

His acting was good but he also has an excellent face for expressing vulnerability; almost a wounded puppy face, even when he was trying to go for menacing. I actually felt sorry for his drug dealing boxer at the end of The Night Of when
Spoiler alert
Riz leaves prison
[close]
which I'm not sure was intended.


kngen

Quote from: Waking Life on September 09, 2021, 03:29:51 PM
I actually felt sorry for his drug dealing boxer at the end of The Night Of when
Spoiler alert
Riz leaves prison
[close]
which I'm not sure was intended.

Hard to say, but he brought a complexity to that role that could have easily been fairly two-dimensional which really elevated that character, and - as you say - left with you something to mull over. Hallmark of a great actor, right there.

Hap and Leonard is pretty good if you are looking to catch up on some of his work (he plays Leonard).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmuCgGcZydY

sevendaughters

the video where Wendell Pierce (Bunk) talks about him while he is standing there is lovely: https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1435063470039392260

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: bgmnts on September 07, 2021, 01:04:26 PM
Very good actor in my view who should've been in more.

If it's any consolation, he was in when he died.

Utter Shit

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 13, 2021, 08:58:22 AM
the video where Wendell Pierce (Bunk) talks about him while he is standing there is lovely: https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1435063470039392260

Ah man that was great, and led me down a Youtube hole of videos going into detail about why The Wire was so great. It really was, wasn't it.