Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:00:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Those Twitter 'best album/ song' polls.

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 07, 2021, 02:36:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Anyone do these?

I really like the one that I think is run by Tom Ewing. It's currently doing a 'best song with a four letter word title' and they have a 'best song released by a black artist between '68 and '72' coming up. You get to nominate songs once the next poll is announced and it's a nice distraction. Must take so much effort to organise though. Quick tip: click on 'media' if you don't want to see endless retweets.

https://twitter.com/peoples_pop

There's another that's drawing to a close soon, which is 'best album of 1991'. I think we're almost in to the quarter finals where it's Nirvana vs De La Soul and R.E.M. vs Teenage Fanclub but before that we've got Pearl Jam vs Dinosaur Jr, A Tribe Called Quest vs Talk Talk and Slint vs Massive Attack. There's about 4 hrs left of the PJ V DJr and the former have a lead of about 0.8% or 7 votes. (In other words, I started this thread because I hate Pearl Jam and like Dinosaur Jr and imagine people on here that are tempted to vote would do so for J Mascis.)

https://twitter.com/bestalbum95

the science eel

Has CaB ever done a members' top 50 or top 100 album poll, by the way?

Brundle-Fly

chutnut

That's a tough one for me, I'd like it if Dinosaur Jr won because they're much better than Pearl Jam in general, but realistically I think Ten is probably the better album out of those 2

sevendaughters

Quote from: the science eel on September 07, 2021, 02:39:24 PM

I would be willing to admin this if there is interest.

the science eel

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 07, 2021, 03:15:57 PM
I would be willing to admin this if there is interest.

might be worth starting a separate thread to see if there IS interest

it might be fragmented to a degree but you usually get consensus around albums like Forever Changes, Pet Sounds, Revolver etc. etc.

Dusty Substance

I always love a good list and would be really interested to see how a CAB Top 100 albums/songs would turn out.

How best to do it? Ten albums each, then score ten points for first place, nine for second and so on?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2021, 04:26:51 PM
How best to do it? Ten albums each, then score ten points for first place, nine for second and so on?
Not to get all Robert Christgau but no, you have to start higher because reducing your final entry to just one point doesn't make much sense - obviously your favourite album is not ten times better than your tenth, and one point is pretty much irrelevant if you do it like that. You have to stack it higher. So if it's a top ten then something like twenty points for first, nineteen for second etc. Not exactly that necessarily but something along those lines, where consistent placing can matter just as much as an album showing up twice at the top of a list.

I don't think I would take part because I think it would take me months to satisfactorily narrow it down to ten or twenty.

Cuellar

Quote from: the science eel on September 07, 2021, 02:39:24 PM

Some Stupid Bullshit - The Fall

end of poll

jamiefairlie

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 08, 2021, 04:55:10 PM
Not to get all Robert Christgau but no, you have to start higher because reducing your final entry to just one point doesn't make much sense - obviously your favourite album is not ten times better than your tenth, and one point is pretty much irrelevant if you do it like that. You have to stack it higher. So if it's a top ten then something like twenty points for first, nineteen for second etc. Not exactly that necessarily but something along those lines, where consistent placing can matter just as much as an album showing up twice at the top of a list.

I don't think I would take part because I think it would take me months to satisfactorily narrow it down to ten or twenty.

Erm, 20 to 11 scoring is exactly the same as 10 to 1. Top is still 9 points more than tenth.

Top 10, 10 to 1 gets my vote. Followed perhaps by a seeded head to head knockout tournament.

lankyguy95

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 07:04:23 PM
Erm, 20 to 11 scoring is exactly the same as 10 to 1. Top is still 9 points more than tenth.
Thanks for the Maths lesson but no, it's not the same. On one points system an album appears three times in tenth and receives thirty three points. On the other an album appears three times in tenth and it only receives three. The latter means consistent list appearances are under rewarded and an album appearing just once near the top of a list is over rewarded. If a record appears towards the bottom of five or six people's lists, it clearly should hold more value than one album appearing at the top of just one. That's what stacking it higher changes.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 08, 2021, 07:27:39 PM
Thanks for the Maths lesson but no, it's not the same. On one points system an album appears three times in tenth and receives thirty three points. On the other an album appears three times in tenth and it only receives three. The latter means consistent list appearances are under rewarded and an album appearing just once near the top of a list is over rewarded. If a record appears towards the bottom of five or six people's lists, it clearly should hold more value than one album appearing at the top of just one. That's what stacking it higher changes.

Ok, let's try again.

20 - 11 scheme:

Album A is top 3 times and gets 60 points, album Z is tenth 3 times and gets 33 points. Gap is 27 points.

10 - 1 scheme:

Album A is top 3 times and gets 30 points, album Z is tenth 3 times and gets 3 points. Gap is 27 points.

Goldentony

where would place Cargo by Men At Work for optimum points and oveall chart position

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 07:54:50 PM
Ok, let's try again.

20 - 11 scheme:

Album A is top 3 times and gets 60 points, album Z is tenth 3 times and gets 33 points. Gap is 27 points.

10 - 1 scheme:

Album A is top 3 times and gets 30 points, album Z is tenth 3 times and gets 3 points. Gap is 27 points.

Yes, but:

20-11 scheme:

Album A is top once and gets 20 points, album Z is tenth three times and gets 33 points. Album Z ends up 13 points ahead of Album A.

10-1 scheme:

Album A is top once and gets 10 points, album Z is tenth three times and gets 3 points. Now album Z ends up 7 points behind Album A.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on September 08, 2021, 08:09:59 PM
Yes, but:

20-11 scheme:

Album A is top once and gets 20 points, album Z is tenth three times and gets 33 points. Album Z ends up 13 points ahead of Album A.

10-1 scheme:

Album A is top once and gets 10 points, album Z is tenth three times and gets 3 points. Now album Z ends up 7 points behind Album A.

Ah I see now, you're right. So the question is do we think being tenth three times is more deserving than being first once, in principal?

Video Game Fan 2000

Cuellar

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 08:20:01 PM
Ah I see now, you're right. So the question is do we think being tenth three times is more deserving than being first once, in principal?

Yes, but I think lankyguy95 wanted us to consider other weightings to find the best compromise.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 08, 2021, 08:20:01 PM

Considering the vast amount of different albums likely to get nominated on such a poll then, yes, I reckon this is the fairest way of scoring.

The other option is to not put them in order and just score one simple point per mention.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 08, 2021, 04:55:10 PM

I get where you're coming from - I imagine every music fan on CaB will struggle to do the same, but polls like these are never set in stone. Don't overthink it *too* much and just go with whatever feels right in the moment. We can do the poll with the proviso that if we were to do it again next year, everybody's Top 10 would very likely be different.

EDIT - Possible suggestion to limit the list to having only one album per artist on each individual Top Ten as this might add a bit of variety?

lankyguy95

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2021, 10:11:18 PM
I get where you're coming from - I imagine every music fan on CaB will struggle to do the same, but polls like these are never set in stone. Don't overthink it *too* much and just go with whatever feels right in the moment. We can do the poll with the proviso that if we were to do it again next year, everybody's Top 10 would very likely be different.
You're not allowed to list Titanic Rising ten times by the way.

Goldentony

would this not work

1. Men At Work - Cargo [10 POINTS]
2. Men At Work - Business As Usual [9 POINTS]
3. Killdozer - Uncompromising War on Art Under the Dictatorship of the Proletariat [8 POINTS]
4. SUTCLIFFE JUGEND - WE SPIT ON THEIR GRAVES [7 POINTS]

ETC

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 08, 2021, 10:57:12 PM
You're not allowed to list Titanic Rising ten times by the way.

Ha! That gave me a proper laugh.

It's crazy how much that album affected me. The other day I was just thinking about the lyrics to Andromeda and I started fucking crying. Pathetic. VERY much the soundtrack to my mid-life crisis breakdown.

Captain Z

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2021, 04:58:09 PM
The Fall
Half Man Half Biscuit
Carly Rae Jepsen
Various bands/titles that genuinely look like they belong in an HS Art thread

sevendaughters

If I were to admin I woud ask for your 50 top albums.

#1 gets 75 points
#2 to #5 gets 50
#6 to #10 gets 45
#11 to #15 gets 40
#16 to #20 gets 30
#21 to #30 gets 20
#31 to #50 gets 10

I cba explaining why save to say #1 should be taken seriously and no one cares what your 22nd and 24th is terms of specific place, they're in the same bracket.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Dusty Substance

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 09, 2021, 12:43:01 AM
If I were to admin I woud ask for your 50 top albums.

#1 gets 75 points
#2 to #5 gets 50
#6 to #10 gets 45
#11 to #15 gets 40
#16 to #20 gets 30
#21 to #30 gets 20
#31 to #50 gets 10

I cba explaining why save to say #1 should be taken seriously and no one cares what your 22nd and 24th is terms of specific place, they're in the same bracket.

That works as well but may very well result in you doing quite a bit of admin. Doing such a poll on here will probably mean at least 50 contributers and even taking into account inevitable duplicates you'll still be looking at a couple of thousand different albums.

Dusty Substance

Another thing we'd need to establish is what albums are allowed and what wouldn't be permitted.

For example, I've see Pixies' Come On Pilgrim crop up on best album lists when it's actually an E.P.

The one that always annoys me is Bob Marley's 1984 Legend turning up on album lists when it's a compilation. There's a whiff of "Oh well, it's only reggae - Not real music" about it. Can't imagine Mojo allowing CaB and Alan Partridge favourite The Best Of The Beatles onto such  list.

Live albums?

Various artist compilations?

B-side and rarities compilations?

E.P collections like The Beta Band's?

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Cuellar on September 08, 2021, 04:58:09 PM
Some Stupid Bullshit - The Fall

end of poll

*snorts* That one isn't even in their top twenty.

beanheadmcginty

Tough one. I think I would have to say the Best of the Beatles.