Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:49:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

G11nner's erosion eleven: TERF speedrun (career/family skip, any%)

Started by madhair60, September 07, 2021, 05:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QDRPHNC

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
You can go back to the threads in the directory in the second post and find me "just asking questions" and being pretty much straight-up transphobic, at times. I'm ashamed of that...

I feel the same way. I've always been a live and let live type, but I also had the devil's advocate / just asking questions stank on me when it came to trans people. These threads (and ultimately, I suppose, Glinner) have been a huge eye opener for me, and have taught me to have a lot more empathy and respect for what other people have to go through. Sophie in particular has been knocking it out of the park lately with the insightful posts.

Kankurette

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Zetetic on September 08, 2021, 11:11:18 AM
I don't understand how people haven't seen those signs for themselves if they're old enough to be capable of forming sentences.

I can't say I've ever noticed or read one but that doesn't really mean they're not commonly there.

The (woman) cleaner at my place leaves approximately 200 milliseconds between giving a courtesy knock and barging into the men's.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 08, 2021, 03:47:40 PM
I feel the same way. I've always been a live and let live type, but I also had the devil's advocate / just asking questions stank on me when it came to trans people. These threads (and ultimately, I suppose, Glinner) have been a huge eye opener for me, and have taught me to have a lot more empathy and respect for what other people have to go through. Sophie in particular has been knocking it out of the park lately with the insightful posts.

Honestly, I think I was the same to some extent.

I also had the thing where I'd be totally non-committal on feminist issues but expect every sort of kudos whenever I did get myself involved as Glinner used to (pre Bananas) and a lot of cishet men do, as mentioned upthread.

I was in my late teens/early 20s at the time, so I think that's a common thing that a lot of cishet men go through. These threads (as well as others sources - friends, family etc) have helped steer me away from that.

Sophie in particular has been knocking it out of the park lately with the insightful posts.

Yes, excellent poster.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 08, 2021, 04:20:15 PM
Yes, excellent poster.

Thank you! I don't think we should worry too much about not being as aware in the past as we are now. I took a lot of "sex-based rights" rhetoric on face value in my 20's, tried to accommodate people who were blatantly terrible, had arguments I shouldn't have had, tried to compensate by being too woke, the whole catastrophe. A lot of my feminist friends are open about having a "TERF Phase" before developing their understanding more. It's just part of maturing. The only people who think insensitive posts from years ago still define us are bullies like Graham trying to score points (and it still defines them, because they never move on). Even Graham had literal years in which he could have turned things around and made up for his actions (his attack on Mermaids was the crossing of the transphobia Rubicon, though).

Bigfella

I'm quite heartened by the folk in this thread who have held their hands up to past mistakes and expressed regret.  UNCANCELLED.  Chances of the Glinster following suit: slim.  You live and hope, though.

JaDanketies

I feel the same way. I've always been a live and let live type, but I also had the devil's advocate / just asking questions stank on me when it came to trans people.

I think one of the absolutely dumb ways my brain understands people living differently than me is with the knowledge that a terrorist suicide bomber or a Japanese Kamikaze pilot or whoever is even more convinced that they are right than I am. Mix it in with a bit of 'the world could have been created last Tuesday / disappears when I close my eyes' solipsism and I have to accept that I really don't know what's best for every other human in the world.

I'll never walk a second in the shoes of someone with gender dysphoria, so I'd have to be a right idiot to "know they've got AGP". Really I don't have any respect for the views of anyone who thinks they know what's best for literally every other human. Maybe it's also a bit of a hangover from a former 'live and let live / your right to swing your fist ends at my face' social libertarianism that I had as a teenager.

Terfs are such an abhorrent representation of a political viewpoint anyway; strongly appealing to the "my political views are to offend people" alt-right. Not really suitable for anyone who has empathy.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 08, 2021, 04:41:06 PM
I'll never walk a second in the shoes of someone with gender dysphoria, so I'd have to be a right idiot to "know they've got AGP".
Even if you didn't have that level of self-awareness, i.e. to know it's not possible for a cis person to fully understand what it's like to be trans, there are so many trans people on YouTube and writing blogs that you can watch and read, and through doing that you can find out that they're just ordinary people, going about their lives, except that they're trans. And they don't even all agree with each other. Almost like they're individuals or something.

Bigfella

Quote from: LemenTheGent on September 08, 2021, 02:29:11 PM
It's him. I'd wager good money it's him. Now following Bill Bailey, Aisling Bea, Ken Cheng, etc. It's either Glinner or someone who wants people to think they're Glinner, and surely nobody is that fucking stupid.
Does he still cyberstalk comedians and try to work them into his nutty campaign? You can imagine Bill Bailey going 'Whoah, give this a bodyswerve, thanks'

JaDanketies

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 08, 2021, 04:47:18 PM
Even if you didn't have that level of self-awareness, i.e. to know it's not possible for a cis person to fully understand what it's like to be trans, there are so many trans people on YouTube and writing blogs that you can watch and read, and through doing that you can find out that they're just ordinary people, going about their lives, except that they're trans. And they don't even all agree with each other. Almost like they're individuals or something.

It's that impossible question, "who is a better source of wisdom regarding the minds of trans people? The minds of many thousands of trans people, who have told their stories in a myriad of different ways, or Count Arthur Strong writer Graham Linehan and a handful of his acolytes?"

The answer might seem obvious to me, but there are a number of alt-right media personalities who seem to disagree.

Quote from: Bigfella on September 08, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
                       Does he still cyberstalk comedians and try to work them into his nutty campaign? You can imagine Bill Bailey going 'Whoah, give this a bodyswerve, thanks'

I truly can't fathom Bill Bailey ever agreeing with Linehan or terfism. Not that I love the guy but I think I'd be bitterly disappointed if he did. He's far too 'live and let live', and also 'alternative is fine by me'.

BennyHedgehog

You know what? I don't think it's glinner. TwoBigSteakPies is furiously tweeting right now at the same time Glinner's live sordid grief vlog is on.

idunnosomename

Amazing how TERFs are piling on this terrible story of police incompetence from SIX YEARS AGO with shit for brain takes about ribbons

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1435213084201730055

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on September 08, 2021, 04:47:18 PM

Yeah, not even trans people know what it's like to be other trans people. There are a lot of things that don't bother me at all, but trans friends of mine find incredibly distressing, and vice-versa. There's also so many different social and medical pathways. I have a pretty big trans peer group spread out all over the globe, and nobody really "matches".

retsuza

Quote from: gazliddon on September 08, 2021, 04:54:39 PM
You know what? I don't think it's glinner. TwoBigSteakPies is furiously tweeting right now at the same time Glinner's live sordid grief vlog is on.

I had actually considered checking this, nice catch.

BennyHedgehog

Quote from: retsuza on September 08, 2021, 05:02:03 PM
I had actually considered checking this, nice catch.

That said Staniland is liking tweets as the show runs despite not being anywhere near a phone or computer. And this is the first episode I've seen where they haven't mentioned anything going on it chat. Could be a pre-recorded video broadcast as live though I'm not sure someone who can't pull on a pair of trousers without getting spunk all down them is that crafty.

peteprodge

Quote from: gazliddon on September 08, 2021, 05:20:37 PM
That said Staniland is liking tweets as the show runs despite not being anywhere near a phone or computer. And this is the first episode I've seen where they haven't mentioned anything going on it chat. Could be a pre-recorded video broadcast as live though I'm not sure someone who can't pull on a pair of trousers without getting spunk all down them is that crafty.

Also, tweets can be scheduled. Tweetdeck is free and available for all to use. (As is OBS for streaming out pre-recorded video 'as live'.)

imitationleather

Glinner's never going to be able to use them, though.

He has the same computer proficiency as my Nan.

Dr Rock

Quote from: gazliddon on September 08, 2021, 05:20:37 PM
Could be a pre-recorded video broadcast as live though

Assuming that Sall Grover is in Queensland right now there's a good chance it's prerecorded as it's 2.37am.

BennyHedgehog

Zetetic

Quote from: sophie.pilbeam on September 08, 2021, 04:58:43 PM
Yeah, not even trans people know what it's like to be other trans people.
People don't even have a fantastic idea of what it's like to be themselves, filtered as all that is by extremely janky meat-based memory and whatever reasons one has for trying to get at that idea in any particular context.[nb]Edit: Linehan actually being an extreme example of a lack of self-insight and tendency to rewrite personal history at this point.[/nb] The main advantage they have is that they're around themselves all the time (and I think that's still a good enough reason for generally listening to people when trying to understand who they are and what their lives are like, to be clear).

I do think that makes the idea of not being able to "fully understand" someone either a bit meaningless or a bit of a cop-out. (Although I appreciate that Poirots' post was fundamentally advocating for trying to understand other people.)

retsuza

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 08, 2021, 05:37:43 PM
Assuming that Sall Grover is in Queensland right now there's a good chance it's prerecorded as it's 2.37am.

I checked in and saw she actually did mention it was 2am, that she had to go soon, to be on GB News[nb]And of course Graham, Arty and Helen are all so happy for her for appearing on Gbeebies, a great platform for their fringe nonsense[/nb]. She currently is actually live on GBNews.

Its possibly prerocorded but is a weird detail to fake.

idunnosomename

Graham has uploaded his mindimage to the world brain and is infinitely self-replicating

LemenTheGent

Quote from: retsuza on September 08, 2021, 05:51:27 PM
I checked in and saw she actually did mention it was 2am, that she had to go soon, to be on GB News[nb]And of course Graham, Arty and Helen are all so happy for her for appearing on Gbeebies, a great platform for their fringe nonsense[/nb]. She currently is actually live on GBNews.

Its possibly prerocorded but is a weird detail to fake.

Do you think Graham asked them to have her on?

"I've got this great pal who you should talk to-"
"Joanne's already said no."

JamesTC

Pimhole

Quote from: madhair60 on September 08, 2021, 01:56:32 PM
You can go back to the threads in the directory in the second post and find me "just asking questions" and being pretty much straight-up transphobic, at times. I'm ashamed of that, but it's because of the perspective I was showed on here that I realised what I was doing and tried my best to change - which I like to think I have. When I saw Joss Prior share the OP of one of these threads, I was quite touched by that. Not that it's me who brings anything to the table here, really, but it's been personally enriching to be able to sit back and go "yes, things are different now, and if I changed that means others are changing, too".

I dunno.

I read a bit of that the other day when I was correcting Lienehan's latest "why & when I got into this" bullshit. Tbh it was kind of fun and thrilling to see you take on board new information, have a bit of a think and then completely revise your position. It seems simple enough but that is so, so rare these days and the lack of capacity for that sort of thing entirely explains TERFism in general and Linehan in particular.

I also used to be a bit of a TERF 'n' SWERF. Can I have a headpat too?

JamesTC

Was laughing to myself on my run earlier thinking about the time Glinner posted a video of a trailer for a gory videogame to the TERF pensioners that are his audience and one of them did a big rant. Just imagining all of those people at the Women Won't Wheesht protest watching a trailer for Dying Light really amused me.

Pimhole

David Allsopp @doublehelix is another recommended follow on twitter, he's good at digging up receipts and proper sources of research and he's pretty funny too.

Someone in the replies to him has pointed out that the account that tweeted #IStandWithMarionMillar over 500 times to get it trending has, by sheer coincidence, also disappeared today.

https://twitter.com/fleeto91/status/1435611903192141827