Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

G11nner's erosion eleven: TERF speedrun (career/family skip, any%)

Started by madhair60, September 07, 2021, 05:52:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
There's an episode of Phoneshop where a man is presenting himself as a successful Dragon's Den-esque entrepreneur - the conclusion to the episode shows the Phoneshop staff in a busy pub spotting the man coming out of the ladies toilets in uniform after restocking the sanpro machine.

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: FalknerHinton on September 08, 2021, 11:22:03 AM
lmao

A career homophobe, the banjo player from Mumford & Sons, a woman currently charged with malicious communications, that Tory who had his beanie nicked and bananacunt are going to have a little chat on zoom. Hilarity no doubt ensues.

lol they can't even spell Marion Millar's name right. I think people complaining about it has probably peaked, so that's something.

A few years ago, I found a YouTube channel where the owner had made one video a day for over a year about how Captain Marvel was going to be a disaster because Brie Larson was an SJW. Like, right up to the premiere. Every day. That's what Graham is like.

Barry Admin

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 08, 2021, 11:21:29 AM
Recalling this isn't the first time he's gone after Robin Ince

Such an awful bully. He will always be more cunt than bananas.

I was hunting through the old Comedy Chat blog this week to find stuff I'd written about joke construction, and had a quick look to see what I'd said about Glinner back then. [NB]For anyone who wasn't around, back in 2012 I wrote a thread and then a blog about comedians using their Twitter followers to dogpile their critics, and they got a lot of traction, and Linehan himself went nuts about the blog when it got adapted for a newspaper and for an Australian media site.[/NB]

I only skimmed through it, but it seems that back then Linehan was a huge advocate for everyone being nicer to each other on social media - however, when you scrutinised his position, it became clear that what he really meant was: everyone should be nice to celebrities. If I recall correctly, Richard H Cooper's blog went into this a great deal too, and called it a 'feudal approach to Twitter.'

I was really taken aback by this. When I watched the GB News thing the other night, I wondered just how many times Linehan has mockingly referenced Eddie Izzard now. It's astonishing to think that Linehan used to be constantly banging the drum and asking people not to be hateful to celebrities in the direct and personal way that social media enables.  His life is now dedicated to trying to publicly shame and embarrass celebrities, so I think it's fair to say that what he was actually advocating for back then was that everyone should have to be nice to him.

I wish he'd just take the "I'm from Iran" L on the chin, work on himself, and leave trans people the fuck alone.

idunnosomename

I saw the bit on GB News where he defended "punching up" at Sam Smith. Now I think Sam Smith is a load of old shite, but I don't make fun of them for their gender expression because you know, that's like playground gaybashing?

But Andrew Doyle, like a particularly feeble grad student running a Oxford undergrad seminar discussion he cant be fucking arsed with, does a half hearted chuckle and goes back to fucking about on his laptop. Because he is SUCH A STRONG MIND AND CLEVER INTERVIEWER.

JaDanketies

It's pretty basic 'not being a shithead' lessons that they teach you when you're a tiny child. No, it's not okay to insult someone based on their race, gender or sexual orientation, even if you don't like them! Pretty sure most eight-year-olds have figured this out

George Oscar Bluth II

The Mumford and Sons guy, literally an example of someone cancelling themselves, in a thing on cancel culture is properly good.

king_tubby

Off the back of censoring the Butler article, the Guardian UK cancels an entire Guardian US series on trans lives.

https://eoinhiggins.substack.com/p/guardian-pulls-judith-butlers-comments

Barry Admin

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 08, 2021, 12:36:55 PM
It's pretty basic 'not being a shithead' lessons that they teach you when you're a tiny child. No, it's not okay to insult someone based on their race, gender or sexual orientation, even if you don't like them! Pretty sure most eight-year-olds have figured this out

That's interesting, because yesterday when I read him say, "Judith Butler... a penisoner who thinks she's non-binary", I immediately thought that he was actually communicating how old and out of touch he has now become.  He's essentially reached the "they don't make music like they did when I was a kid" stage of his life, except that he's gone down the terfy route instead.  So their argument is more along the lines of "we did all this 'gender bending' stuff back in my day, but Boy George never called himself a trans woman or tried to shit in ladies toilets!" (That's more or less literally what they say when they reflect on punk and new romantics etc.)

I've always been scared of falling prey to that kind of mindset myself, because it means you start closing yourself off to a lot of great stuff, but it also means that your personal development falters and dies, or rots like a black banana.  And I'm almost as thin-skinned as Linehan, so I know how tough it is to deal with criticism, and have a lot of sympathy for sensitive artists in the public eye.  It can't be easy, particularly since the advent of social networking.

Let me just say this: CaB was created over 21 years ago now, in the dark ages of the internet, and obviously the net and the world itself was very different back then.  About 4 or 5 years ago, I noticed a few ex-posters - women - bashing CaB and calling it a sausage-fest and stuff like that.  We all think we're good people here, but who doesn't, right?  This was communicated brilliantly in Four Lions, of course, and also in the Mitchell and Webb "maybe we're the baddies" sketch, which has found very wide traction as a meme these days.

So... initially, when I saw these criticisms, I was hurt.  Deeply.  It stung, and I guess I went into denial.  I started a thread to see what other people thought, and then I went and had a long private chat with one of the women to better understand her perspective. 

Anyway, I know that CaB hasn't always dealt with topics like this one brilliantly in the past, but I am really incredibly glad that we do seem to be getting more progressive and empathic as the years pass, rather than becoming the embittered cunts we're often characterised as.  The fact that these threads are finding a readership beyond the site - and are educating people about trans issues - while also standing as a counterpoint to this relentless and hateful culture war is a source of real pride to me.  I said a few years ago that I could foresee this current culture war on trans people getting worse and more intense, and that's certainly happened.  Again, thanks to everyone who contributes such intelligent and entertaining posts here, and to those who fact-check Graham Linehan's lies.  People just shouldn't have to live with this kind of shit, it's abhorrent, and I still can't believe that the co-creator of a show as beloved as Father Ted has now chosen to dedicate his life to spreading hatred and bigotry. 

madhair60

You can go back to the threads in the directory in the second post and find me "just asking questions" and being pretty much straight-up transphobic, at times. I'm ashamed of that, but it's because of the perspective I was showed on here that I realised what I was doing and tried my best to change - which I like to think I have. When I saw Joss Prior share the OP of one of these threads, I was quite touched by that. Not that it's me who brings anything to the table here, really, but it's been personally enriching to be able to sit back and go "yes, things are different now, and if I changed that means others are changing, too".

I dunno.

idunnosomename

JL is interpreting the censoring of Butler as the Guardian fanatically protecting her reputation because they are the guardians of queer theory and trans ideology.

The malicious glee the way JL uses "trans-identified male" like someone calling a gay man a sodomite is always really disturbing.

Chollis

LemenTheGent

Quote from: pupshaw on September 07, 2021, 09:29:47 PM
I'm still not completely sure about TwoBigSteakPies

It's him. I'd wager good money it's him. Now following Bill Bailey, Aisling Bea, Ken Cheng, etc. It's either Glinner or someone who wants people to think they're Glinner, and surely nobody is that fucking stupid.

JaDanketies

Quote from: LemenTheGent on September 08, 2021, 02:29:11 PM
It's him. I'd wager good money it's him. Now following Bill Bailey, Aisling Bea, Ken Cheng, etc. It's either Glinner or someone who wants people to think they're Glinner, and surely nobody is that fucking stupid.

Do you reckon the pics of that feminist-looking bloke are a stooge? Some guy who Glinner has roped into his façade to make his account less blatant?

sophie.pilbeam

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 08, 2021, 02:04:22 PM
JL is interpreting the censoring of Butler as the Guardian fanatically protecting her reputation because they are the guardians of queer theory and trans ideology.

The malicious glee the way JL uses "trans-identified male" like someone calling a gay man a sodomite is always really disturbing.

She also thinks she's scoring points against other people by just quoting them asking the extremely reasonable question "Why are you citing Jennifer Bilek?".

Article also helpfully underlines why they fell out of favour: They think any form of change is impossible.

Quote from: LemenTheGent on September 08, 2021, 02:29:11 PM
It's him. I'd wager good money it's him. Now following Bill Bailey, Aisling Bea, Ken Cheng, etc. It's either Glinner or someone who wants people to think they're Glinner

It's one of them, the guy in the pic is bald so if someone can coerce a sneaky dick pic from him we'll be able to confirm whether he's a member here or not.

Jumblegraws

Cuellar

MigraineBoy

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 08, 2021, 02:38:43 PM
Do you reckon the pics of that feminist-looking bloke are a stooge? Some guy who Glinner has roped into his façade to make his account less blatant?
A couple of days ago @2bigsteakpies had an exchange with a like-minded fella who said:
"There's a list for chaps like us. Have a look at my pinned thread, see what you reckon." to which @2bsp said "I was part of it on one of my older accounts, I've just realised it's you!"  Anyway, cut to yesterday and @2bsp is happy to show his face, which looks suspiciously like another member on that list.

Sonny_Jim

Tin foil hat firmly attached:

It's Glinner, the picture is one of his new 'friends'.  The reason why none of the usual crowd are liking/following that account is that he has in his capacity as King Of TERFs decreed that no one is to follow him until the Great Unveiling, where all the plebs are peaked and Jon Ronson kisses his feet and apologises.

idunnosomename

That message usually means the user deleted it themselves. They have a month to reactivate.

sophie.pilbeam

"Doesn't Exist" means she voluntarily wheesht. If it's suspended, it'll specifically say "Suspended".

People were digging up her "old" (not very old) Islamophobic / Katie Hopkins stuff recently, so that might be why. IDK. May have been advised to.

peteprodge

Quote from: Jumblegraws on September 08, 2021, 02:46:23 PM
Marion Millar's twitter account appears to have been suspended. I guess some women will wheesht after all.

I don't think that is the case.

"This account doesn't exist" usually appears when the account owner decides to deactivate their account. If they don't reactivate it within 30 days, then it's deleted permanently. It's the sole option presented to you if you want to delete your account, but gives you that leeway to change your mind. Pretty sure Facebook does a similar thing. The far-right 'comedian' Andrew Lawrence did this.

"Account suspended" is definitely Twitter removing the account.

FalknerHinton

edit: on second thoughts, I don't want to get Barry or CaB in trouble by speculating on ongoing legal proceedings so I've deleted all that.

retsuza

Steak Pie account was created at the beginning of this month and has nearly 800 tweets already. Get another hobby Graham.

Quote from: FalknerHinton on September 08, 2021, 02:58:09 PM
edit: on second thoughts, I don't want to get Barry or CaB in trouble by speculating on ongoing legal proceedings so I've deleted all that.

I saw your post, didn't think it was troublesome and agreed with it.

MM's Twitter posts must have been trawled over with a fine tooth comb by herself and many other people by now.

Sonny_Jim

Here's a fun game, open up this website:

https://www.womenarehuman.com/

And see just how many times TwoSpunkyPies refers to things that are mentioned on there.  So far I've got Police Scotland, Barbie Kardishan and Karen White in the space of two tweets.  It's like he goes off to a TERF website, reprograms his brain with some talking points then races back to Twitter to somehow shove his new 'facts' into his arguments.

It's pathetic.

Barry Admin

Katy Montgomerie has been banging on for years now about how the GRA doesn't mean "self ID' as it's portrayed by the terfs, and that trans people have already been able to use suitable public toilets for a long time. That article she wrote about it recently seems to have got some real traction, and has done a phenomenal job of making more people aware of what's actually at stake. I can understand why Linehan hates her so much... She's a fucking brilliant communicator, and a very likeable, smart woman. Her and Joss Prior are out there fighting this battle every day with wit and intelligence, more power to them.

And another good one from @katyscartoons that I just saw when digging that out:

BennyHedgehog

Quote from: MigraineBoy on September 08, 2021, 02:48:13 PM
A couple of days ago @2bigsteakpies had an exchange with a like-minded fella who said:
"There's a list for chaps like us. Have a look at my pinned thread, see what you reckon." to which @2bsp said "I was part of it on one of my older accounts, I've just realised it's you!"  Anyway, cut to yesterday and @2bsp is happy to show his face, which looks suspiciously like another member on that list.

He's deleted his face now (if only!) and changed avatar to a picture of pie. As has his pal.

Didn't take well to being called a piedophile