Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:09:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Come and See

Started by bgmnts, September 08, 2021, 02:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Is this worth a watch? As someone who has grown a bit more sensitive to these subject matters over the years, is this even watchable or will it make me so horrified and disturbed I'd want to jump off a bridge? I've heard lots of good things but even the shots of the lead actor's face just creep me out.

sevendaughters

It is one of the best films ever made, but it isn't an easy one.

greenman

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2021, 02:18:37 PM
Is this worth a watch? As someone who has grown a bit more sensitive to these subject matters over the years, is this even watchable or will it make me so horrified and disturbed I'd want to jump off a bridge? I've heard lots of good things but even the shots of the lead actor's face just creep me out.

Its depressing but not a total tide of grimness and death, most of the latter is implied more than its shown and the lead character is show as likeble with some scenes actually quite idyllic.

Rizla

Definitely worth a watch, it's maybe a bit tame compared to the sort of thing you can see on websites now, no things going in and out for example. Lead actor seems alright to me -

Oh, Come and See, I thought you meant Come and Play.

Yeah it's tremendous but very very heavy.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2021, 02:18:37 PM

It's an absolute five alarm masterpiece and is essential viewing.  However, from memory you're particularly sensitive to real animal deaths in films, and it features a cow getting shot (Klimov used real ammo to get a more realistic look for tracers and that) so, ignoring anything else, you might want to give it a miss for that reason alone.

bgmnts

Oh Jesus christ may have to then.

GoblinAhFuckScary

watched it for the third time (somehow) last year with a biggish group of people, and there's a scene just before the end which has only intensified on my rewatches to the point where i came close to running out of the room that third time round

literal nightmare movie. essential

Keebleman

You don't watch Come And See, you live it.

El Unicornio, mang

Some really harrowing scenes, particular the
Spoiler alert
barn burning sequence
[close]
which is something the real life Dirlewanger Brigade liked to do among many other atrocities. It does suffer a bit from feeling like an exploitation film at times. The sexy SS woman sucking on crabs legs, and generally not a lot of subtletly/shading given to the German characters. But still, probably the film which matches up mostly to the testimonies of real life survivors of WWII. Harrowing in a different way to Schindler's List, although I think they're both essential.

Twit 2

shagatha crustie

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2021, 03:36:41 PM
Oh Jesus christ may have to then.

Just watch it for chrissake, it's supposed to put you through the wringer, that's why it was made and how it goes about delivering its message. If you jump off a bridge then sorry, but I really strongly doubt you will.

studpuppet

The director used live rounds for some of the scenes to get authentic reactions from the cast. Also, THIS (gets going about a minute in).

Edit: SGN beat me to it with the live rounds.

bgmnts

Quote from: shagatha crustie on September 08, 2021, 09:49:30 PM
Just watch it for chrissake, it's supposed to put you through the wringer, that's why it was made and how it goes about delivering its message. If you jump off a bridge then sorry, but I really strongly doubt you will.

Don't think any art is worth killing an innocent creature for, personally.

I mean, I may. But that really is a big ask.

Poobum

Gonna be lazy and quote myself from another thread.

"This is a film I've always felt that I needed to watch but have always been afraid to. It is and isn't all that I expected it to be. The deliberate choice to avoid the gore really works, it strips you of the autonomic reactions of seeing something so horrific as to look away, instead your left to really take in the atmosphere with a kind of bewilderment. It's brilliant in that it's rewatchable, allowing you to engage with what is absolute despairing horror where, despite everything, humanity remains. I found Glasha a really powerful character, a pure (untainted) knowing compared to Florya's pure ignorance."

I'd definitely recommend watching it. Astounding experience.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Keebleman on September 08, 2021, 04:34:30 PM
You don't watch Come And See, you live it.

This.

In the same way that after watching Gravity on the big screen, and I felt like I'd spent 90 minutes in outer-space, watching Come And See felt like spending several months in a war.

In fact, it's not a war film - It's a true horror film.

zomgmouse

intense experience watching this in a cinema. horrific stuff. amazing film. i think the only thing that stopped it being perfect was
Spoiler alert
the title card at the end saying this was a true story, felt a little naff, like, yeah, we know
[close]

Butchers Blind

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Butchers Blind on September 09, 2021, 08:41:28 AM
Is this on Netflix?

No.

Disney have acquired the rights and have made it part of the MCU.

sevendaughters

Quote from: zomgmouse on September 09, 2021, 06:21:18 AM
intense experience watching this in a cinema. horrific stuff. amazing film. i think the only thing that stopped it being perfect was
Spoiler alert
the title card at the end saying this was a true story, felt a little naff, like, yeah, we know
[close]

I read about a screening at a London university that had a survivor of the depicted massacre who began his post-talk seminar with "of course, it was much worse in reality".

Cuntbeaks

Saw it a few years back and thought it was incredible, seeing it the cinema would be quite an experience I would imagine. Picked up the remastered Blu Ray last year but haven't gotten round to watching it yet.

bgmnts

It was alright like.
The real murdering of a cow was genuinely triggering (ugh) but i dont really know how to feel about it.

That ambient droning sound that mirrors the appearances of the planes was fucking terrifying.

Poobum

The plane is such a simple and effective throughline, a constant finger in the wound.

An tSaoi

Top class film, and not at all what I imagined. Before I saw it, I expected an extremely gritty, realistic, documentary-style film, but it's actually very odd. Much more abstract and strange than I was prepared for.

The opening scene has a strange feeling to it, with the younger boy doing a weird growling voice right at the camera. It almost feels like some bizarre comedy before the credits roll. The performances are downright bizarre at times, especially the girl. The way everyone is clearly trying not to blink for extended periods is very unsettling. Most actors try not to blink much in films generally, and you don't really think about it, but there's something about the POV camerawork that really drives it home. As GoblinAhFuckScary said, a real nightmare.

The sound design is outstanding, a combination of unsettling droning and rumbling sounds, normal war film sound effects, and five minutes of solid tinnitus following a bombing scene. It's simultaneously too loud and too quiet (because he's gone temporarily deaf). An outstanding, unique film.

mothman

I discovered this on Belgian TV only a few years after it was released, and really in completely the wrong way - I happened upon it while channel-surfing one Sunday night, and at the part where the village is... "attacked" doesn't really seem to cover it! What the fuck was I watching?! I may even have failed to identify what it was at the time, no internet to look stuff up and my dad hadn't started buying me the latest edition of Halliwell's every time one was released, so I might even have forgotten about (*mercifully blocked it out) it until much more recently...

jobotic

Have had this on DVD for years and never felt quite ready to watch it.

bgmnts

If anyone is interested in learning more about this part of the Holocaust and the treatment of citizens on the Eastern front, check out a French doc on Netflix called Einzatsgruppen. Grim grim stuff but informative.

Something I never really knew was that for the most part at the beginning the segregation and beatings of Jews and Bolsheviks etc were committed by the native population and collaborators, before the Germans even started. Just a horrible, horrible time for humans, something this film captures to a tee, in it's unique way.

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on September 11, 2021, 07:32:44 PM
Something I never really knew was that for the most part at the beginning the segregation and beatings of Jews and Bolsheviks etc were committed by the native population and collaborators, before the Germans even started. Just a horrible, horrible time for humans, something this film captures to a tee, in it's unique way.

yeah, i seem to recall some of them were even too violent for the nazis, or at least not organised enough (like in Romania)

Brundle-Fly

Interesting interview with the young lead some years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oLF0qKobKs

GoblinAhFuckScary

Indomitable Spirit

that guy has such an ace face