Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:47:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Come and See

Started by bgmnts, September 08, 2021, 02:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replies From View

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2021, 10:48:28 PM
Don't think any art is worth killing an innocent creature for, personally.

I mean, I may. But that really is a big ask.

The cow wouldn't still be alive today even if it had eaten all its greens and not been shot

But if it helps, try to think of the cow as a cataclysmically non-innocent bellend who deserved it.  Nigel Farage in cow form or something like this

Dex Sawash

Watched this last night, didn't like the bits where people were not nice to animals or other people.

An tSaoi

Quote from: Replies From View on September 12, 2021, 09:44:47 AM
The cow wouldn't still be alive today even if it had eaten all its greens and not been shot

They say the cow was sick and had to be shot anyway. But they would say that wouldn't they? Who knows.

If you've ever eaten a steak you can't complain I suppose.

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 12, 2021, 09:16:48 AM
that guy has such an ace face

He looks younger it that clip than he does for half the film, what with the wrinkly makeup. One of those strange half-adult, half-child faces.

Good timing: that clip mentions the cow being ill.

Poobum

Probably in people's recommendations if they watched the Aleksey Kravchenko interview, but this series of interviews with the director are good.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN9_r1NEnGM&t

Amazing perseverance to get the film made, and quite amazing that the Soviet Union eventually allowed it.

I had a brief obsession with trying to find out what happened to Olga Mironova who played Glasha, but seems see fell off the earth with only red herrings and false leads as to what she's up to now.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: An tSaoi on September 12, 2021, 02:42:56 PM
They say the cow was sick and had to be shot anyway.

Lead poisoning

chveik

An tSaoi

mothman

A very intense scene to shoot. The steaks were never higher.

An tSaoi

mothman

Don't, er, hog all the puns - let udders have a go.

chveik

there was an easy ethical solution - find an old nazi that has escaped the justice system, put him in a cow costume and then blow him up

Replies From View

Quote from: An tSaoi on September 12, 2021, 02:42:56 PM
If you've ever eaten a steak you can't complain I suppose.

Unless they managed to cut that steak off without killing the cow.  Surely possible.

I watched this tonight.
Looked and sounded great. Really good sound design, if that's the term, like when he went a bit deaf from the bomb and the slow ominous humming of those german planes getting louder before they appeared.

Not even the backwards benny hilter bit at the end was enough to cheer me up.

Does a really good job of making the war feel real, like when you see that footage at the end and it's some stuff you've lived through in the film.
Always feel a bit detached from that sort of newsreel stuff.

I'm guessing Russia was a bit lax with on set health and safety back then, what with that poor cow, that bloke sliding off the roof, I thought his knees were gonna explode coming down hard on his feet like that, and then shortly after, it seems the actors just manage to walk out of shot before flaming napalm rains down onto the road!

Really good film. Think I'm gonna have to watch something proper fluffy next though.

greenman

Not sure I really buy the "no art is worth an animals life" when meat eating is so widespread, moreso I think you could question machine gunning the cow as cruel but honestly I suspect probably no less cruel than a lot of slaughter practices.

I'd recommend The Ascent from the late 70's by the directors late wife Larisa Shepitko, very similar kind of setting about Belarussian partisans but dealt with in a rather different fashion, does have a fair bit of grueling physical experience at first but shifts more into a personal moral drama.