Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:41:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I moaned into the abyss and it moaned back at me

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 08, 2021, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

And that's why I'm leaving twitter, says thin skinned chatty cunt: https://www.kentlive.news/news/celebs-tv/alan-carr-quit-twitter-after-5884627

It's only Wednesday but that's not the most egregious bit of culture war bullshit I've seen this week. Jeremy Kyle has been given a new radio show, and has spent all the interviews he's been given to talk about how he was 'cancelled' after hectoring people on his television show to the point that some of them killed themselves.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/jeremy-kyle-d-list-celebrity-24927780

When will this career-negligible-to-actually-career-advancing persecution stop for the inexplicably popular?

touchingcloth

Speaking out while on stage in Leeds as part of his Regional Trinket tour, the Kent funnyman finally revealed the reason behind quitting the site.

He told the crowd: "It's the cancel culture. You can't say anything these days. That's why I came off Twitter."

Imagine being there. Standing up in front of a stage in Leeds, guffawing out loud and masturbating furiously as a bird-voiced tooth cunt talks about cancel culture to you.

Jack Shaftoe

Got a friend who worked on the pilot for the RuPaul UK drag show and said something about the UK presenters they'd got in for it. When I asked who they were, he said 'Jimmy Carr and Alan Carr*. You know, (perfect comedy pause) the creme de la creme' in the most withering tone I've heard in my life.

*obviously it would have been better if he'd been able to link the two presenters together via their shared surnames in some way, but he didn't.

olliebean

That Alan Carr story, though. He made some bland comment on Twitter, some people without much imagination made some lame-ass jibes about first world problems, he somehow got triggered because he apparently doesn't understand what "first world problems" means, and consequently made a personal choice to cancel himself from twitter.

"You can't say anything these days," he says, about something utterly innocuous that, in the pre-Twitter days when you presumably could say anything, it wouldn't even have occurred to him to say publicly.

jamiefairlie

Funny how anyone called a 'funnyman' is never, ever funny.

Gurke and Hare

QuoteThe comedian, 45, regularly posts to his one million followers on Instagram, but hasn't been seen on Twitter since the beginning of 2018.

20 fucking 18? The cunt's been brooding on this for nearly four years?

Quote"I just feel that if stand-up comedy disappears, where do you go... I don't know.

If your stand-up comedy disappears, to see a good comedian.

Fambo Number Mive

It's interesting how any criticism of someone famous, no matter how mild, is now "cancel culture".

Because the idea behind "cancel culture" is that people are trying to "cancel" someone, surely? I'm sure no-one who replied "first world problems" to Alan Carr's curry tweet was trying to "cancel" him.

Sebastian Cobb

It is quite funny that they inadvertently caused him to go into exile though.

Beagle 2

Are we sure he didn't say "It's the cancel culture. You can't say anything these days" in a sort of a knowing and exaggerated way to get a laugh, like stand up comedians often do? Perhaps he was telling a story about leaving Twitter over something really petty because he thought it would be funny, and he actually left for a variety of reasons such as it being absolutely full of dickheads.

Just putting across an alternative theory to him being worse than Hitler. I have no strong opinions about Alan Carr other than he really looks like my wife's friend Jenny.

olliebean

Come to think of it, that seems much more likely. He was making a joke, and Kent Live didn't get it (much like most of us here) and reported it as if he were being serious. (The Daily Mail and the Express also didn't get it, btw. For this interpretation to work, you pretty much have to assume the audience he said it to didn't get it, for it not to have been obvious it was a joke.)

I think probably what happened was he was making a serious point about having left twitter for fear of offending people (and has decided to label this "cancel culture" because he's an idiot), and then riffed on that to make a joke about a curry tweet causing a "first world problems" backlash.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 08, 2021, 05:05:48 PM
Are we sure he didn't say "It's the cancel culture. You can't say anything these days" in a sort of a knowing and exaggerated way to get a laugh, like stand up comedians often do? Perhaps he was telling a story about leaving Twitter over something really petty because he thought it would be funny, and he actually left for a variety of reasons such as it being absolutely full of dickheads.

Just putting across an alternative theory to him being worse than Hitler. I have no strong opinions about Alan Carr other than he really looks like my wife's friend Jenny.

I don't think he's worse than Hitler. It's quite clear to me that he's exactly as bad.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Beagle 2 on September 08, 2021, 05:05:48 PM

Yeah this was my first thought as well. It's such a non-story from the information provided that it works very thinly when intended as a joke but even thinner as an actual complaint. I can't see that he actually gives that much of a fuck, he's always seemed like a nice down to earth person even if you think his comedy's a load of guff (though I bought he was frequently funny and charming as a guest judge on RuPaul's Drag Race).

If a publication like this is going to make a big deal out of it whilst also mentioning in the article the place where he lives alongside two other gay celebrities as if that's a fucking thing worth noting in fucking 2021 for fucks sake, then I'm going to give Carr the benefit of doubt over Kent Live on this one.

Beagle 2

Hitler of course flounced from the world of the living when the Nazis were about to get cancelled which was incredibly thin-skinned.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2021, 06:06:05 PM
I'm going to give Carr the benefit of doubt over Kent Live on this one.

Still, if a comedian tells a joke and nobody can tell that it's a joke, that's usually the comedian's fault.

The Mollusk

Eh. If I were him I would almost certainly have followed it up with "I'm only messing by the way, I don't really think things are that bad" but then not everyone is as wonderfully eloquent and infallible (or, incredibly anxious about everything that comes out of their mouth) as I am.

Still not arsed about this though, it's the most piddly bit of nothing I've read all day.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 08, 2021, 06:25:48 PM
Still not arsed about this though, it's the most piddly bit of nothing I've read all day.

It's odd many are putting effort into being indignant about the existence of the "non-story" of the Carr thing when the Kyle thing is an actual thing that is far worse.

MikeP

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 08, 2021, 06:18:00 PM
Still, if a comedian tells a joke and nobody can tell that it's a joke, that's usually the comedian's fault.

Unless it's Socratic irony

idunnosomename

what is cancel culture? is it like if you said something edgelordy a decade ago? or is it just if you're a cunt someone tells you to fuck off?

Captain Z

It's basically when someone cannot accept being told that they may have gone a bit too far.

touchingcloth

It's when you don't agree with someone freely speaking their thoughts on your free speech.

shiftwork2

Couldn't give a fuck about whatever this is

alright lads cheers nice one

Noodle Lizard

QuoteThe Chatty Man star, who lives in Aldington alongside fellow comedians Julian Clary and Paul O'Grady, went into further details about the incident.

What an odd "by-the-way".

Buelligan

"Always kind to dogs, like Hitler and Ian Austin"

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 08, 2021, 05:03:03 PM
It's interesting how any criticism of someone famous, no matter how mild, is now "cancel culture"

Yeah cancel culture is losing your job and/or ending up in court over a silly or racist/sexist joke. Not plebs replying to you.

Someone should explain this to Alan of The Carrs because he seems confused.

It might be a bleed over from America where cancel culture seems to be any time anyone disagrees with you at all.

Icehaven

I actually think it's impossible to get cancelled now because even if you said or did something genuinely heinous a million defenders of free speech would suddenly rush to your defence and form a new fanbase just to piss off the snowflakes.

jobotic

GB News are gonna need another couple of channels to fit all the cancelled heroes on, for no one to watch.