Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I moaned into the abyss and it moaned back at me

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 08, 2021, 03:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: jobotic on September 09, 2021, 09:41:22 AM
GB News are gonna need another couple of channels to fit all the cancelled heroes on, for no one to watch.

A "free speech" channel that cancelled one of its presenters for taking the knee. Of course Toby Young et al were quiet about that one.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: olliebean on September 08, 2021, 04:39:28 PM
That Alan Carr story, though. He made some bland comment on Twitter, some people without much imagination made some lame-ass jibes about first world problems, he somehow got triggered because he apparently doesn't understand what "first world problems" means, and consequently made a personal choice to cancel himself from twitter.

"You can't say anything these days," he says, about something utterly innocuous that, in the pre-Twitter days when you presumably could say anything, it wouldn't even have occurred to him to say publicly.

That's what I thought.  It sounds like he'd never encountered the phrase "first world problems" before and has taken it completely the wrong way.

Either that or the newspaper got the wrong end of the stick, and at the same time they probably horribly misquoted the joke.

When I saw the headline "Alan Carr quit Twitter after curry post sparked backlash" my first thought was that he'd made the cliched comments about getting 'the shits' after having a curry, with people piling on saying it was racist to say that.  Instead the story is totally innocuous.  It's a non-story.  Also in the nearly 4 years since it happened he would have learnt what first world problems meant, realised he'd made a stupid assumption, then brushed it under the carpet and never mentioned it again.

Fambo Number Mive

Aren't Kent Live the people who did that "eat for £10 for a family" story? I can imagine they would want to stir up a non-story like this for clicks.

jobotic

Kent ive used to be the more reasonable alternative to Kent Online, which is a cesspit. Obviously now going for the cesspit market.

Talking of Kent, you can't move here from Northampton/Darlington/Liverpool and get called a "Kent funnyman". Assimilate outsiders - we don't have funnymen.

Fambo Number Mive

Kent Live have a story about a story in the Liverpool Echo with someone angry when  a delivery driver walked into their house to leave a parcel when no-one answered the door.

This is journalism these days. Not sure whether the delivery driver did the right thing, but reporting on a non-story in another local paper that didn't even happen in Kent is a bit desperate.