Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bisto Best gravy powder as sandwich seasoning(?)

Started by Shit Good Nose, September 08, 2021, 04:30:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shit Good Nose

I was at a site meeting this morning and noted that one of the guys had a jar of Bisto Best chicken gravy powder on his desk.  Purely out of curiosity I asked if they had a lot of hot meals there, as I didn't see a microwave or oven in the kitchen, but his answer was that he uses it as seasoning for sarnies and that.  "Not too much, add it like it's salt".

Kinda makes sense I guess?

He was VERY quick to say that he only did it with the Bisto Best (the one with the little bits of real meat juice in it), because no other dried gravy did it apparently.

Anyone else?  Tempted to try it......

(waits for someone to post multiple links to previous threads about the same dating back years)

Sebastian Cobb

I'll give it a bash, got some of the posh onion bisto in the cupboard.

I guess my weird one of these was adding Lloyd Grossman curry paste to cheese sandwiches, I reckon Pataks might be a bit too aggressive (only bought LG because shop was out of Pataks).

Gurke and Hare

There are some curry pastes that carry stern injunctions on the jar not to eat them uncooked. Dunno why.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 08, 2021, 04:35:11 PM
There are some curry pastes that carry stern injunctions on the jar not to eat them uncooked. Dunno why.

I like to live dangerously.

I got the idea from The Viz when someone in one of the letters mentioned their 'post pub curry pizza (Lloyd Grossman curry paste smeared on a naan)' and thought "hang on, I've got some of that, this gives me an idea!".

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2021, 04:33:32 PM
I'll give it a bash, got some of the posh onion bisto in the cupboard.

I guess my weird one of these was adding Lloyd Grossman curry paste to cheese sandwiches, I reckon Pataks might be a bit too aggressive (only bought LG because shop was out of Pataks).

I used to LOVE the pastes in the old Knorr recipe kits.  The Thai green curry was particularly delicious.  Sadly they don't do them anymore.

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 08, 2021, 04:35:11 PM

I don't know that this is the answer, but some spices are not good for the tum-tum when eaten uncooked.  Doubt you'll die from it, though.

madhair60

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 08, 2021, 04:39:34 PM
I don't know that this is the answer, but some spices are not good for the tum-tum when eaten uncooked.  Doubt you'll die from it, though.

Since I've started making curries more from scratch, I wouldn't be surprised if most of them are little more than your standard basic curry spices (cumin, corriander, garam) and oil. Maybe some veg matter lobbed in as well.

If I've got some left over roast chicken or turkey to put in a sandwich, I mix a bit of chicken gravy powder into some mayonnaise.

Most of the supermarket chicken sarnies either do the same thing or mix liquid gravy in with the mayo. Otherwise the sandwich just tastes of nothing.

beanheadmcginty

Used to work with a bloke who would eat a big heaped spoonful of dry bouillon powder for a quick snack.

touchingcloth

You know crisp sandwiches? I do that, but with Oxo cubes.

Dex Sawash

I licked stock cubes as I kid (28) took about 30 minutes to get through one. Not sure I could freebase spoons of powder.

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 08, 2021, 05:55:11 PM
Used to work with a bloke who would eat a big heaped spoonful of dry bouillon powder for a quick snack.

Lynda Bellingham?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 08, 2021, 05:58:53 PM
You know crisp sandwiches? I do that, but with Oxo cubes.

Imagine wrapping bread round it so it's a ball of bread-covered oxo then dropping it in a fryer.

Like a wartime-rationing version of a Scotch Egg I suppose.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2021, 07:08:10 PM
Imagine wrapping bread round it so it's a ball of bread-covered oxo then dropping it in a fryer.

£40 starter at The Fat Duck.

king_tubby

My partner sprinkles this on cooked stews/casseroles and such like.

Sherringford Hovis

^ That Bouillon is mostly salt anyway; you can get a much better version with a greater proportion of dried vegetable powder in your local Polski Sklep (or Lidl occasionally).

See if you can wean 'em onto Marigold Yeast Flakes (or its Aldi equivalent) instead - I get through tons of this stuff: much tastier and packed with healthy chemicals. Mmmm. Chemicals.

Norton Canes

Cilla Black's snack of choice was half an orange, the cut area rubbed with an Oxo cube.

king_tubby

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on September 08, 2021, 07:25:27 PM
^ That Bouillon is mostly salt anyway; you can get a much better version with a greater proportion of dried vegetable powder in your local Polski Sklep (or Lidl occasionally).

See if you can wean 'em onto Marigold Yeast Flakes (or its Aldi equivalent) instead - I get through tons of this stuff: much tastier and packed with healthy chemicals. Mmmm. Chemicals.

Wait a minute, that's what she has - not the other stuff. So good news all round!

Johnny Textface

Sprinkle a bit on roast potatoes before they go in.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 08, 2021, 07:26:54 PM
Cilla Black's snack of choice was half an orange, the cut area rubbed with an Oxo cube.

Dead now; makes you think.

Sebastian Cobb

I quite liked that bullion stuff, thought it was a step up from oxo/knorr veg stock.

Never tried it as a drink though, no more mad than drinking bovril though I guess.

imitationleather

Sherringford Hovis

Quote from: king_tubby on September 08, 2021, 07:29:33 PM
Wait a minute, that's what she has - not the other stuff. So good news all round!

Their branding does seem somewhat inconsistent - an image search turns up green, blue, red, purple and brown cylinders of the same flakes. My wife refers to them as 'Oscar Scabs' in memory of our deceased (diseased?) Bull Terrier Cross who suffered greatly with seborrheic dermatitis. Appetising. 

Sebastian Cobb

Glebe

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sherringford Hovis on September 08, 2021, 07:58:57 PM
Their branding does seem somewhat inconsistent - an image search turns up green, blue, red, purple and brown cylinders of the same flakes. My wife refers to them as 'Oscar Scabs' in memory of our deceased (diseased?) Bull Terrier Cross who suffered greatly with seborrheic dermatitis. Appetising.
The different colours relate to different added vitamins, I think. Nutritional yeast flakes seem to be a real marmite-style foodstuff: some people (especially vegans) will put them on cereal, toast, pasta, sprinkle on anything. They definitely remind me of bodily secretions.

As for gravy, you can get various sorts of onion powder and onion salt for seasoning (canonically of white sauce), which is basically what cheap Bisto is except Bisto is dyed brown.

Sebastian Cobb

did someone really suggest a marmite-like substance as a good alternative to normal vegetable stock‽

how different is onion powder to onion granules? I've been using them interchangeably as I assumed they were pretty similar.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2021, 07:08:10 PM

By "imagine" do you mean "remember"? Those things are good, but I have much fonder memories of oxo cubes wrapped in wafer thin ham - can't be those trimmings at Christmas.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Glebe on September 08, 2021, 09:44:57 PM
Your friend is a sick demented pervert, SGN.

No idea who he is - never met him before today and probably won't ever see him again.  But he has given me some food for thought...

touchingcloth

Quote from: Glebe on September 08, 2021, 09:44:57 PM
Your friend is a sick demented pervert, SGN.

The swingers? From memory that was a work colleague of his rather than a friend.