Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:52:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Connector port and dying battery confusion

Started by Smeraldina Rima, September 09, 2021, 03:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Something went wrong with the connecting port or battery for my Lenovo Ideapad. I tried a different charger that also needed wiggling around to find a charge and needed keeping still not to disconnect. Took it to the repair shop and they fixed the port for a very reasonable price. The fixed port didn't hold the connector so firmly in place but even if it felt looser it kept the charge. That worked for about six months but then what seemed to me like the same problem started again. This time when I took it to the same place, they said it was just a problem with the battery and that the previously fixed port was fine - they were very confident about that while I was more confused. They wouldn't take any payment for the time and said to just pay for them to install the replacement battery after I buy that.

I don't doubt that the dying battery needs replacing. I've abused it by keeping the laptop in one place permanently on charge since finding and keeping a connection became precarious and I was worried about losing the battery life and not being able to get the laptop charged again. Sometimes even when the connection is showing now, the battery starts charging down or standing still, which I understand as a more obvious problem with the battery itself.

But since the connection still mostly depends on moving the connector around (now ridiculously delicately) I'm worried that there's a problem with both the port and the battery. Can someone reassure me that the guy at the repair shop is right - that even though the connection comes and goes from moving the connector around as was initially treated and fixed as a problem with the port, replacing the battery will make this apparent problem go away? I don't think he believed me that wiggling it around was still making a difference.

touchingcloth

Based on what you've said, your repair place sounds more than trustworthy. Maybe ask them to replace the port again just to rule it out? What age is the laptop?

It's six years old. I like them and just found it hard to understand how there was no problem with the port (how a battery problem alone would make the charge come and go as a result of moving the connector). They moved it around briefly when I was in the shop to show me it was ok and - like in a distressing movie - it worked fine. But it was back to not working when I got home. I don't want to tell them to replace the port if they're sure there's nothing wrong with it but I'll ask them to check it a few times when they've installed the battery.

Sebastian Cobb

Did they use their own charger when demoing it with you, or the one you use at home, perhaps the wiring at the jack is fucked?

I think it was using mine but thanks for pointing that out. Since I'd had the same problem before and changed chargers with no difference I assumed it was the same problem this time. I'll try to find the spare charger and check that before the new battery arrives.