Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I'm indifferent to most of the song but I like that bit

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 09, 2021, 10:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

At the time I was never a big fan of Outkast's 'Hey Ya'[nb]Listening now, I reckon it might have been partially to a tin-ear and its ubiquity, there's some great bits, but the 'polarioid picture' stuff will never allow me to consider it a 'banger'. But this isn't an Outkast discussion.[/nb] but really liked the boop-boop-boop faux xylophone

chutnut

Disco/funk is full of this (and a big reason why edits are so popular)

Jorge santana - Darling I love you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnxnilGyve4
from about 4 mins to the end is great, the first half not so much

Billy Paul - Only the Strong Survive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqzMJKyASTg
from 3:40 to the end of this one I love but god the chorus is horrible. I'm not aware of any edits of this actually but there must be a few

famethrowa

I Just Called To Say I Love You. Yes that old syrupy chestnut, it's pretty awful, but I find myself sitting it through just to hear Stevie's magic voice take off for the ad libs in the last 20 seconds.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

The intro to William, It Was Really Nothing features a great riff and poignant lyrics, but it only lasts about 20 seconds before making way for a fairly average Smiths song. I used to hit |<< on the CD player a lot just to hear the intro again.

Egyptian Feast

I like the bits of 'In Another Land' with Mick Jagger singing, but Bill Wyman can fuck off entirely. Nobody wants to know what goes on in your dreams, you tombstone-faced nonce.

the ouch cube

"First few seconds of Spaceman by Babylon Zoo" to thread

boki

For the longest while, I considered Another Girl, Another Plant to be two great chord changes wrapped up in a just-about-adequate song.  Warmed to the rest of it a bit more in recent years.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: boki on September 10, 2021, 05:07:48 PM
For the longest while, I considered Another Girl, Another Plant to be two great chord changes wrapped up in a just-about-adequate song.  Warmed to the rest of it a bit more in recent years.

I think I'm a bit like that with some of the bits in Wreckless Eric's Whole Wide World, where it sounds like someone's just dropped the drumkit.

kalowski

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 09, 2021, 10:51:22 PM
At the time I was never a big fan of Outkast's 'Hey Ya'[nb]Listening now, I reckon it might have been partially to a tin-ear and its ubiquity, there's some great bits, but the 'polarioid picture' stuff will never allow me to consider it a 'banger'. But this isn't an Outkast discussion.[/nb] but really liked the boop-boop-boop faux xylophone
I've said it a million times but Speakerboxx is a load better than The Love Below.

Video Game Fan 2000

The Love Below is an insanely impressive thing but considering I played Stankonia enough to almost memorise it, despite that record having some truly WTF filler, I've barely listened to The Love Below at all. Honestly like less than 10 times front to back. Played the shit out of Aquemini too.

Not to continue with the Outkast derailment but "Roses" is my genuine candidate for this thread. Love the synth and groove of the verses but otherwise its probably their worst single. Its like Andre sat down and thought "how can I write a good song around the dumbest hook in the world"

Video Game Fan 2000

Led Zep throwing A+ opening riffs away on irritating shit songs in Led Zep II - Moby Dick, Bring it on Home, Heartbreaker, etc

willbo

There was a dubstep song by a group called Modestep that had a heavy metal ish outro

GoblinAhFuckScary

Sowing the Seeds of Love by Tears for Fears

first verse has this great harmony but a lot of the song is embarrassing

JesusAndYourBush

East 17's "It's Alright" has a nice intro but once the song kicks in it's typical boyband shite.

pigamus

The beginning and especially the end bit of Subterranean Homesick Alien. Sublime, mysterious and ethereal. The rest of it seems to mostly consist of tortured wailing.

markburgle

Intro to Benefit of Mr Kite is the only good bit of the song.

jobotic

I can't really get on with The Bee Gees' singing but Spirits (Having Flown) is so great musically.

Wish the last minute or so was just repeated over and over for hours, it's gorgeous.

markburgle

Hidden tracks thread just gave me one - Endless Nameless! The verse of that is great. Shame they didn't work it up into a proper song

willbo

the bridge line of Bedouine's "one more time". I like it but she only sings it once before the chorus. i feel like it should repeat.

https://youtu.be/8CPHjJNEC5U?t=68

Johnny Yesno

The first 16 seconds of Froot by Marina and the Diamonds are great. However, the track gradually gets less interesting as it progresses through the first minute while still promising to ramp up into something great again for the chorus, which turns out to be disappointingly Eurovisiontastic.

Brundle-Fly

When the orchestral strings swirl and dance with the accordion at the end of the 'Allo 'Allo theme tune . Wasn't a fan of the series or harbor much nostalgia for the theme tune but that bit gets me every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIhSAGwqsUg

The same goes for the mawkish Last Of The Summer Wine theme. The strings are exquisite.

who cares

Indifferent to their entire oeuvre, but there's a nice bit at the end of one of the chilli pepper's songs. I can never remember which; one of the singles I think. There's no shouting, no funk bass or whatever, just a noodly little guitar riff.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2021, 07:47:37 PM
When the orchestral strings swirl and dance with the accordion at the end of the 'Allo 'Allo theme tune . Wasn't a fan of the series or harbor much nostalgia for the theme tune but that bit gets me every time.

The same goes for the mawkish Last Of The Summer Wine theme. The strings are exquisite.

ooh yes. i go mad for the last of the summer wine theme

jobotic

Quote from: who cares on September 13, 2021, 11:27:21 PM
Indifferent to their entire oeuvre, but there's a nice bit at the end of one of the chilli pepper's songs. I can never remember which; one of the singles I think. There's no shouting, no funk bass or whatever, just a noodly little guitar riff.

There's a Coldplay song with a lovely intro which rapidly deteriates into a Coldplay song.

Norton Canes

non capisco

I like that the 'Allo 'Allo theme music is this wistful, slightly yearning and elegiac tune which heralds a load of knob jokes.

gilbertharding

Quote from: markburgle on September 11, 2021, 10:40:12 AM
Intro to Benefit of Mr Kite is the only good bit of the song.

The version on the Anthology is fantastic - they strip away the song halfway through so you can hear the tape loops properly.

gilbertharding

Did Ronnie Hazlehurst arrange both of them?

buzby

Quote from: gilbertharding on September 14, 2021, 11:14:32 AM
Did Ronnie Hazlehurst arrange both of them?
Hazlehurst composed and arranged the LOTSW theme. The Allo Allo theme ('London Calling') was written by David Croft and Roy Moore. Hazlehurst covered it on one of his Themes albums, but he had nothing to do with the version used on the show. He did co-write the Are You Being Served? theme with David Croft though.