Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

20 years since them slags smashed into the twin towers...

Started by Butchers Blind, September 10, 2021, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

On September 8th, no-one died
On September 9th, no-one died
On September 10th, no-one died
On September 11th, someone died

Inspector Norse

Can't wait for the special Expanded Anniversary Edition

The Mollusk

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 10, 2021, 06:54:14 AM

Reckon I'll skip this to be honest. You just know they'll butcher it with excessive dramatisation and cram in a load of CGI and make it look unrealistic. John McClane making fists with his toes on the plane as the hijack is announced. Wilhelm screams dubbed over the people jumping out the windows while the emotive crescendo of "Chop Suey!" by System of a Down (from the album Toxicity released Sept 4 2001) blares over the top. Morgan Freeman as God stepping on Jabba the Hutt's tail as he paces about trying to bargain with him about who gets priority when boarding the lifts. Stuff like this ruins the magic of the original, just watch it as it was intended to be seen.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 10, 2021, 06:54:14 AM

"A refurbished 9/11 is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any tragedy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the attack was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen 9/11 over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy's eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

'I would love you to do something for me,' I said.

'Anything! Anything!' the boy said rapturously.

'You won't like what I'm going to ask you to do,' I said.

'Anything, sir, anything!'

'Well,' I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see 9/11 again?'

He burst into tears. His mother drew herself up to an immense height. 'What a dreadful thing to say to a child!' she barked, and dragged the poor kid away. Maybe she was right but I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.

Icehaven

We're going to a wedding tomorrow and I really want to ask the couple if they got a good deal on the date because no one wants it as their wedding anniversary, but I don't know them well enough so I can't. Bet they did though.

batwings

Quote from: Mobius on September 10, 2021, 01:12:45 AM
THE DAY THE WORLD CHANGED

Wasn't there some new comedy that was airing that day, and got utterly fucked and no one watched it? Maybe a Richard Herring show or something?
George Carlin had recorded a special called something like I love it when lots of people die on September 10th which never saw the light of day.

shiftwork2

I'll never forget the half-hour incineration window for complimentary coffee and mini-muffins.  Om nom nom

buttgammon

Those events left quite a legacy, especially the script for an episode of Seinfeld that deals with the attacks that was written by a fan. It's pitch perfect.

QuoteKRAMER

You remember my crazy friend Mo Atta?

ELAINE

The guy you fish-sit for when he goes
to Florida? What about him?

KRAMER
Look at this!

KRAMER HANDS ELAINE A NEWSPAPER. SHE READS.

ELAINE

"The leader of the hijackers has been
identified as Egyptian-national
MOHAMED ATTA." GET - OUT!

ELAINE SHOVES KRAMER FROM ACROSS THE TABLE.

KRAMER

You know he was always talking about
how evil America was? Eventually I
told him, "Why don't you do something
about it?" I thought he'd write to his
Congressman!
JERRY

Kramer, he just crashed a plane into
the World Trade Center! He slit the
pilots' throats with a box-cutter!

KRAMER

Not "a" box-cutter - MY box-cutter. He
borrowed it last week!

touchingcloth

If steel melts at 1,200 degrees but jet fuel only burns at 800 degrees, how come no Jews died on 9/11?

DoesNotFollow

Quote from: icehaven on September 10, 2021, 08:15:24 AM
We're going to a wedding tomorrow and I really want to ask the couple if they got a good deal on the date because no one wants it as their wedding anniversary, but I don't know them well enough so I can't. Bet they did though.

We're going to a wedding tomorrow as well. Seeya there!

Blue Jam

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 10, 2021, 08:39:37 AM

I'll never forget the half-hour incineration window for complimentary coffee and mini-muffins.  Om nom nom

Should have been Kit Kats.

robhug

These lot set the terrorist attack bar so high with this one that its rendered all the other ones since a bit shit, theres only ever a limited head count driving a van into a christmas market etc. If I was on the payroll as a consultant I'd put it to them they should just stop all this shit and club together to buy an old Russian nuke then drop it on Harvard or somewhere like that

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Which tower was your favourite? Mine was the one on the left. Didn't mind the first one overly but when the left one went I thought right that's it, time to proper kick off about this

The Mollusk

Ahh there used to be a song on YouTube by conspiracy theorists that was a parody of "Stayin' Alive" with the chorus "Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother 9/11's a lie, 9/11's a lie", but it's since been taken down for copyright infringement. It was legitimately a good song. There was a bridge section where they spliced in the rhythm from "Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2" and chanted "9/11 was an inside job!", really smartly done. I wonder if I'll ever hear that song again.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 10, 2021, 09:24:15 AM
Should have been Kit Kats.

With a sign naming it after the acclaimed metalcore band Four Finger Death Lunch.

Paul Calf

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 10, 2021, 09:29:46 AM
Ahh there used to be a song on YouTube by conspiracy theorists that was a parody of "Stayin' Alive" with the chorus "Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother 9/11's a lie, 9/11's a lie", but it's since been taken down for copyright infringement. It was legitimately a good song. There was a bridge section where they spliced in the rhythm from "Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2" and chanted "9/11 was an inside job!", really smartly done. I wonder if I'll ever hear that song again.

You might

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBYdRRuLxI

The Mollusk

Holy shit how'd I miss that? Wow it's even better than I remembered. Absolute belter.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 10, 2021, 09:31:41 AM
With a sign naming it after the acclaimed metalcore band Four Finger Death Lunch.

They'd have to be two finger Kit Kats, silly.

Pretty insensitive of Marriott to prominently display their logo, looking as it does like two toppling towers, right next to the commemorative mini muffins.

touchingcloth

Should have been 8:46 - 9:03. Complimentary five-sided cookies at 9:37, and complimentary coffee at 10:03 in the field out back.

shiftwork2

Amazing that this was all over by 10:03.  It's 10:16 now and I've basically scratched my bollocks and put the kettle on.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lemming on September 10, 2021, 02:52:05 AM
Happened to be faking sick to stay home from school that morning. Saw it on the news while flicking through channels and thought "the fuck's all this?". #NeverForget

I didn't even know until I got home. Wouldn't get that now.

George Oscar Bluth II

Really miss 9/11 trutherism, a conspiracy theory that didn't encourage people to ingest horse paste.

El Unicornio, mang

On a serious note, these two new feature length BBC documentaries about it are really fascinating/riveting/depressing stuff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z95y/surviving-911

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8p5/911-inside-the-presidents-war-room

Regarding the latter, I was amazed that they managed to get all the political players from then including Bush and Cheney for a sit down to reminisce about their crimes and how they just had to "kick ass".