Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:09:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

20 years since them slags smashed into the twin towers...

Started by Butchers Blind, September 10, 2021, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 15, 2021, 02:21:43 PM
They probably would have been happy with one tower, with the other tower as a back up. The pentagon being the second back up.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail, as the posters in Bin Laden's cave said.

MikeP

Quote from: buzby on September 15, 2021, 09:40:26 AM
Crashing a plane into the containment vessel of a nuclear reactor would be pretty pointless.

Naturally they would have tried the same experiment on a control room mock-up and its backup bunker.

Maybe

MikeP

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 15, 2021, 12:48:19 PM
Why is 9/11 art and Hiroshima not?

Audience paticipation.

Is art art if no-one can see it?
This degenerates into earnest philosophical discussions over warm beer in a student bar.

JaDanketies

The flight that crashed into the Pentagon was a bit of a damp squib, wasn't it? And the one that the passengers took down - I believe that was headed for Camp David? Which is like Chequers for the President? Bin Laden's lucky that this plane crash-landed because his idea for it was tremendously shit and what really happened is a far better story.

Buelligan

Quote from: Replies From View on September 15, 2021, 08:55:22 AM
Wake me up when someone a bit unique dies please

Shan't.  Enjoy them all or not at all.  You're not cherry-picking this.

touchingcloth

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 15, 2021, 02:44:57 PM
The flight that crashed into the Pentagon was a bit of a damp squib, wasn't it? And the one that the passengers took down - I believe that was headed for Camp David? Which is like Chequers for the President? Bin Laden's lucky that this plane crash-landed because his idea for it was tremendously shit and what really happened is a far better story.

They were actually heading for that field to smash it to pieces because Bin Laden thought it was that one from the XP wallpaper.

JaDanketies

Oh apparently it was heading for the US Capitol building and reports it was heading to Camp David were just speculation. Apologies to Al Qaeda

Icehaven

I always thought the field one was heading for Camp David too but one of the 9/11 docs I watched last week said it was aiming for the Capitol Building, and Wikipedia says the same. Maybe they were seeing how it went on the day. 

I can't be bothered to look up the exact dimensions but surely it'd be much harder to hit the Capitol building than the WTC or the Pentagon because it's much smaller than both, so ironically they probably had their best pilots on that plane. The ones that hit the WTC must have been the dunces of hijacking class.

imitationleather

How do they know where it was heading? The guys flying the plane are dead.

idunnosomename

intelligence recorded in the 9/11 commission report. It's pretty certain that flight 93 was heading for the Capitol. although it could've been the white house. Bin Laden was quite keen on the latter. but surely the Capitol would've been easier and more spectacular

the pentagon crash was total rubs i agree. the capitol and the white house were evacuated before 10 am. Flight 93 crashed at 10:03 because the passengers had learnt what was going on and the terrorists couldn't lie to them about them just going back to the airport like they did with the others

JamesTC

Quote from: imitationleather on September 15, 2021, 03:02:35 PM

Derek Acorah said so.

touchingcloth

I find it grimly fascinating how much detail of what happened in the cabins on those four flights is known, or roughly known. I don't think I've ever been on a plane with telephones, but it seems like the passengers and crew on that day were auditioning for a BT advert with the amount of calls they were placing to the ground. "Hello, passenger in seat 8A has stabbed the one in 9B, I would estimate at roughly 09:01.23. Cheers."

PlanktonSideburns

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: buzby on September 15, 2021, 09:40:26 AM
Crashing a plane into the containment vessel of a nuclear reactor would be pretty pointless. In 1988 a Japanese engineering company involved in their nuclear programme contracted the Sandia National Laboratory in the US to conduct a test that launched an F4 Phantom fighter attached to a rocket sled travelling at 500mph into a 3.7m thick 470-ton block of reinforced concrete that was a simulation of the outer containment vessel wall of a reactor. The Phantom was vapourised in the impact with barely any damage to the concrete (a 60mm deep crater on the surface)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ8uvQk1H9I

Must remember to sample that

chveik

it's very easy to criticise after the fact but i'd say they did a pretty good job as far as creating terror goes

Buelligan

I don't see the point of the WTC though, really.  If it was up to me it'd be -

• Whitehouse
  • Capitol
  • Pentagon x 2
  • AOB
Whilst I accept personal choices and preferences are bound to come into it, I cannot, for the life of me, see their logic.

idunnosomename

It represents globalised western capitalism and all the decadent values it spreads. They were always very keen on it, since at least 1993

robhug

it would have been a bit shit just flying a plane into Camp David which would only be 1 person, whereas the TT got a much bigger headcount

pigamus

Quote from: chveik on September 15, 2021, 04:13:34 PM
it's very easy to criticise after the fact but i'd say they did a pretty good job as far as creating terror goes

You do gotta hand it to them a bit

Replies From View

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 15, 2021, 12:37:11 PM
Yeah it's because they don't really care about death toll one way or another and first flights of the day were the easiest to pull off together. They wanted the symbolism above all and bloody hell they certainly got it.

It has been argued as the biggest piece of performance art in history. Which sounds wanky and offensive and maybe it is, but also it's got a point.

bit of an outlandish commercial for jenga but still good

lankyguy95

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 15, 2021, 04:30:49 PM
It represents globalised western capitalism and all the decadent values it spreads.
In another life, Mohamed Atta is merely a zealous CaB member.

Replies From View

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2021, 02:46:05 PM
Shan't.  Enjoy them all or not at all.  You're not cherry-picking this.

>:-(

Buelligan

You got away lightly this time, because I like you.  Now buck up and enjoy yourself.

MikeP

Flight deck recorder.

Buelligan

Zetetic

Quote from: MojoJojo on September 15, 2021, 02:23:22 PM

What's genuinely surprising is that no terrorists have tried to copy the Boston sniper. Two guys - and you probably only need one - with a shit car and a cheap rifle - caused terror for 3 weeks. It may not have a big body count by terrorism standards, but it did generate terror.
You need quite a particular guy I think though, in terms of local experience and preparedness to murder individuals.

And again, it comes back to what you're trying to achieve.

bgmnts

Just get a few dozen medieval Mongol warriors, plonk them in the Midwest and give them some horses and boom, they will have half of the US fucked for years.

Our capacity to instil terror has definitely diminished. 

Quote from: Zetetic on September 15, 2021, 05:39:09 PM
And again, it comes back to what you're trying to achieve.

Because of course Islamic terrorists are so focused and defined in what effect they want their terrorism to achieve aside of the destruction, death and injury caused.

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 15, 2021, 04:30:49 PM
It represents globalised western capitalism and all the decadent values it spreads. They were always very keen on it, since at least 1993
I find to very hard to understand what the cultural relevance of the NY WTC towers was prior to 9/11.

I would have said that I'd never heard of them - but I know I'd have been wrong because they're featured in a mission in Red Alert 2 (albeit not in a way that I'd ever have connected to real life).