Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:26:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

20 years since them slags smashed into the twin towers...

Started by Butchers Blind, September 10, 2021, 12:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 10, 2021, 10:34:45 AM
On a serious note, these two new feature length BBC documentaries about it are really fascinating/riveting/depressing stuff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z95y/surviving-911

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8p5/911-inside-the-presidents-war-room

Regarding the latter, I was amazed that they managed to get all the political players from then including Bush and Cheney for a sit down to reminisce about their crimes and how they just had to "kick ass".

Yes the Bush one is pretty damning really isn't it, absolutely no introspection 20 years on, absolutely no hint of even a sliver of regret.

robhug

On a serious note, these two new feature length BBC documentaries about it are really fascinating/riveting/depressing stuff

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z95y/surviving-911

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000z8p5/911-inside-the-presidents-war-room

Regarding the latter, I was amazed that they managed to get all the political players from then including Bush and Cheney for a sit down to reminisce about their crimes and how they just had to "kick ass".

The best thing that could have possibly happened to dubya was trump turning up and people forgetting what a pigshit thick chancer he was

Small Man Big Horse

The filmed version of the 9/11 musical is out now thanks to AppleTv+, can't wait until this evening so I can watch it and sing along with some of the hits like "That bird looks really big" and "We'll be fine, I'm sure someone will have put a trampoline down there". https://www.avclub.com/apple-tv-plus-shows-off-its-heartwarming-9-11-musical-w-1847576524

Mister Six

Love that all the 9/11 cynicism has been grandfathered into the new, touchy-feely, friendly CaB. Although actually there was quite a bit of an anti-black-humour push at the time (including some irritation at the Morris & Iannucci retrospective that suggested people in the UK were delighted to see America taken down a peg), IIRC. Tragedy + time etc.

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on September 10, 2021, 10:26:16 AM
Really miss 9/11 trutherism, a conspiracy theory that didn't encourage people to ingest horse paste.

I dunno, a conspiracy theory that weeds conspiracy theorists out of the gene pool sounds all right by me. Run out of patience with harmful, stupid cunts at this point.

Captain Z

Oh that's disappointing. When I heard they were getting the old cast back together I thought it was for a new one-off special, not just interviews.

buttgammon

Quote from: Captain Z on September 10, 2021, 10:58:12 AM
Oh that's disappointing. When I heard they were getting the old cast back together I thought it was for a new one-off special, not just interviews.

Yep - not even a cheeky little reunion massacre, it's a waste of everyone's time.

Kankurette

I always felt a bit sorry for people whose birthdays were on 12th September, like one girl in my year. The sixth form common room was like a ghost town the day after.

Quote from: buttgammon on September 10, 2021, 10:59:45 AM
Yep - not even a cheeky little reunion massacre, it's a waste of everyone's time.

The gossip mags reckon that Bush and Cheney are now dating, so at least something good came out of it.

Buelligan

buttgammon

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 10, 2021, 11:24:59 AM
The gossip mags reckon that Bush and Cheney are now dating, so at least something good came out of it.

It's in Heat (of Molten Steel) magazine.

Stupid gag, still makes me laugh - very much too soon at the time.

I remember suggesting at work the next day that it would be a nice gesture if the major airlines could arrange for passenger jets to do a very low fly-by over lower Manhattan to show respect for those who died. It wasn't particularly well received.

bgmnts

Bush: I absolutely fucked up an entire region of the planet in order to maintain the American stranglehold on global politics, the campaign of imperialistic terrorism and the ludicrous funding of the military industrial complex.

Now watch this drive.

Blumf

Quote from: robhug on September 10, 2021, 09:24:58 AM
These lot set the terrorist attack bar so high with this one that its rendered all the other ones since a bit shit, theres only ever a limited head count driving a van into a christmas market etc. If I was on the payroll as a consultant I'd put it to them they should just stop all this shit and club together to buy an old Russian nuke then drop it on Harvard or somewhere like that

Ooop! Don't turn on the news.

holyzombiejesus

20 years since I got sucked off by a racist girl from Aberdeen.

robhug

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 10, 2021, 12:51:52 PM
20 years since I got sucked off by a racist girl from Aberdeen.

noun: humble brag
an ostensibly modest or self-deprecating statement whose actual purpose is to draw attention to something of which one is proud. 20 years since I got sucked off by a racist girl from Aberdeen

dissolute ocelot

Wikipedia's list of things that happened on that date makes it sound a real pisser.
QuoteSeptember 11, 1649 – Siege of Drogheda ends: Oliver Cromwell's Parliamentarian troops take the town and execute its garrison.
September 11, 1826 – Captain William Morgan, an ex-freemason is arrested in Batavia, New York for debt after declaring that he would publish The Mysteries of Free Masonry, a book against Freemasonry. This sets into motion the events that led to his mysterious disappearance.
September 11, 1897 – After months of pursuit, generals of Menelik II of Ethiopia capture Gaki Sherocho, the last king of Kaffa, bringing an end to that ancient kingdom.
September 11, 1974 – Eastern Air Lines Flight 212 crashes in Charlotte, North Carolina, killing 69 passengers and two crew.
September 11, 2012 – A total of 315 people are killed in two garment factory fires in Pakistan.
On the other hand, they'll be dancing in the streets of Edinburgh and Glasgow on September 11th: anniversary of the devolution referendum in 1997.

touchingcloth

Only one more sleep til the proper 20th! Anyone else planning a very early night then getting up at 00:00 to rewatch the footage on a loop while wanking? Something so fucking erotic about when you see the second plane going in and hear the person behind the camera going "arh".

H-O-W-L

Hark at the anointed ones here. In my day we were only allowed SIX elevens! And we ha no planes for em. Had to walk a mile and a half uphill both ways to get em back to the shack.

Vitamin C

There are still more than 1,000 people whose remains have not been found. Would have been a great day to fuck off and reinvent yourself somewhere.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 10, 2021, 09:29:46 AM
Ahh there used to be a song on YouTube by conspiracy theorists that was a parody of "Stayin' Alive" with the chorus "Whether you're a brother or whether you're a mother 9/11's a lie, 9/11's a lie", but it's since been taken down for copyright infringement. It was legitimately a good song. There was a bridge section where they spliced in the rhythm from "Another Brick in the Wall pt. 2" and chanted "9/11 was an inside job!", really smartly done. I wonder if I'll ever hear that song again.

This is still up tho : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr8UK1xmEas

Cuellar

48 years since them slags in the CIA installed Pinochet and still freaks my nut out to this day

Video Game Fan 2000

9/11 conspiracy stuff seemed dangerous at the time but it looks adorable now.

Ferris

I moved to Canada on the 10th anniversary because all inbound flights to the eastern seaboard were massively reduced and I had no money so I figured I'd mix it with an al qaeda tribute act if I saved 200 quid.

Famous Mortimer

I hope that the modern even-more-bonkers conspiracists are equally civically minded.

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Vitamin C on September 10, 2021, 02:04:00 PM
There are still more than 1,000 people whose remains have not been found. Would have been a great day to fuck off and reinvent yourself somewhere.

From memory I think there were stories of people did this but were found out. Also people who falsely claimed compensation on family members who were no where near them towers at the time. 9/11 chancers.

ersatz99

On the morning of the attacks my boss wanted me to give him a lift to pick up his car from the dealership in Norhtampton. It was a Porsche 911. The type was a 993 (flight 93 crashed into the ground). The dealers were called Arlingtons (name of where Pentagon is). None of this clicked with us until days later when they started to call them the 911 attacks.