Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:27:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Cornwall (The Wall of Corn)

Started by Lost Oliver, September 10, 2021, 07:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lost Oliver

I'm going to Cornwall in about half an hour. Anywhere you'd recommend I should go? I'm staying near Padstow. I've been before but that was without a car so I didn't really leave Rick Stein land. This time I intend to roam around and perve on stuff.

Twit 2

Check out Tintagel and Boscastle. Walk on the coastpath. Cycle on the Camel trail between Wadebridge and Padstow. Go to the beach, Polzeath is big.

Neville Chamberlain

I went to St. Ives many years ago and actually met a man with seven spouses!

Norton Canes

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 10, 2021, 07:55:23 AM
Check out Tintagel and Boscastle. Walk on the coastpath. Cycle on the Camel trail between Wadebridge and Padstow. Go to the beach, Polzeath is big

That's exactly what we did when we went in 2003. Did you come with us?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I went to Truro which was nae more than pleasant. Aggro gulls, of course, but the river and harbour are a bit sludgy and the centre is just a piddly market town really. Pleasant in the sunshine and far from the worst place I've been.

Falmouth is more interesting as everything is so steep, it sprawls a bit, has some actual working docks, they got palm trees motherfucker, as well as actual amenities and attractions. There is definitely a cunt Tory surfer/sailing set but to a degree avoidable.

Twit 2

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 10, 2021, 09:00:11 AM
That's exactly what we did when we went in 2003. Did you come with us?

I was already there, man. I'm from north Cornwall.

Falmouth's great for independent cafes and the like and there's some great pubs. I live there and would recommend Beerwolf, a book shop/pub that sums up the arty/slightly pretentious vibe of the town. It's miles away from Padstow though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Beerwolf Books was a really nice place. Carrom boards as well.

The Chintz was more pretentious but too ramshackle to be that cunty. Quite fun and unusual for England to have a bar like that.

Jerzy Bondov

Welcome to Kernow, have a lovely time, it's great here, proper job, and so on. I recommend St Nectan's Glen, a lovely little woodland walk with a really impressive waterfall what goes through a hole, and a cafe. It's quite hippy-dippy but great.

Cape Cornwall is worth checking out. There are plenty of guided walks online that will take you around the coast path. We used this one, but there are plenty of different routes of varying length and difficulty that take in the Cape.

Neomod

Looe is nice (Best sausage rolls)

Polperro is nicer.

ElTwopo

Hillbilly Moonshine shooting gallery in an arcade on St Ives seafront

At least I think that was what it was called.

shiftwork2

A long-time returner to Port Isaac, Port Gaverne and the surrounding clifftops for walking.  Really must venture further afield.

Jack Shaftoe

I'm in Cornwall right now. It was a bit drizzly earlier, but seems to have cleared up.

greencalx

On the North Coast you will find rugged, windswept moorland. On the south, your charming fishing villages and secluded creeks. I come from the North Coast, hence the lack of charm. (And fish). I have a soft spot for the Lizard, pretty much everywhere from Praa Sands to Mevagissey - although it's hard to think of anywhere less accessible from Padstow. If you stick to the coast you can't go wrong, although I'd avoid Newquay and S'naasl (St Austell).

Proactive

Can't go wrong in Cornwall mate alright cheers.

Replies From View

kalowski

Quote from: Lost Oliver on September 10, 2021, 07:24:33 AM
I'm going to Cornwall in about half an hour. Anywhere you'd recommend I should go? I'm staying near Padstow. I've been before but that was without a car so I didn't really leave Rick Stein land. This time I intend to roam around and perve on stuff.
Don't go to Stein's restaurant. Rubbish.
Jamie Oliver's 15 on Watergate Bay is great, though.
There's a wonderful outdoor pool in Penzance you should go to.

kalowski

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Fishfinger

It's an hour+ away from Padstow, but Kenneggy Cove is a nice beach location, with cliffs and caves and a rope ladder descent to the sand from the nearby campsite. Had a lot of formative childhood experiences there. As a kid it was perfectly safe, but it felt adventurous. In the evening, there were bats along the upper beach path.

badaids

The bit I liked best is the cliff face next to the border as you drive over from Devon with 'Kernow is not England' painted on it in massive letters and 'Grokels go home' with a massive Cornish flag.  This was in the 90s mind.