Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another Manics thread

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, September 10, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

I prefer it as it is. It wouldn't have worked if they'd tried to be like Swans. I wish I could articulate why.

Rev+

Intense Humming of Evil is the centrepiece of the album for me, although it's near the end.  It's the point, the summary, where it all leads.  Mausoleum is the awkward one.  I've always thought it would be better much earlier on - maybe swapping it with She is Suffering.

Glyn

Yeah, TIHOE is the most atmospheric track for me. The feedback and drum pattern all combine into that sound of an oppressive and relentless machine. Horrible sound but a great track.
The only clunker for me is She is Suffering. Always seen it as a dirgy retread of Life Becoming a Landslide. Can remember Nicky Wire laughing in an interview that when recording it they genuinely thought it would be a hit single in the vein of Every Breath You Take. Think it was the same interview where they mentioned that Revol and This is Yesterday were added very late to the album ,long after they thought it was finished. Revol gets a hard time but it would have been a very different album without those two on it.

Custard

I love Revol and She Is Suffering!

Btw, I highly recommend the Record Collector special Manics magazine what's just come out. A massive interview in it, and they seem to have finally come around to liking Lifeblood. Which is nice

bgmnts

Quote from: Glyn on October 13, 2021, 09:23:57 AM
Yeah, TIHOE is the most atmospheric track for me. The feedback and drum pattern all combine into that sound of an oppressive and relentless machine. Horrible sound but a great track.
The only clunker for me is She is Suffering. Always seen it as a dirgy retread of Life Becoming a Landslide. Can remember Nicky Wire laughing in an interview that when recording it they genuinely thought it would be a hit single in the vein of Every Breath You Take. Think it was the same interview where they mentioned that Revol and This is Yesterday were added very late to the album ,long after they thought it was finished. Revol gets a hard time but it would have been a very different album without those two on it.

Ha.

I dont really follow music as such but when was the last time the Manics had an actual hit?

Spiteface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on October 13, 2021, 11:23:06 AM
Your Love Alone...?

Sounds right.

They had high hopes for the singles from Postcards, but Some Kind of Nothingness became the first single since Motown Junk to miss the top 40.

Even Lifeblood had two #2 singles

bgmnts

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on October 13, 2021, 11:23:06 AM
Your Love Alone...?

Fair enough. 15 years ago.

Had a quick listen to the last few albums. Cant say there is a single track on there I love. Bit gutted.

markburgle

I'm sure the overlap between people who are CAB readers, Manics fans and Times subscribers must be large, so can one of that crowd copy and paste this for me please? ta

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/manic-street-preachers-james-dean-bradfield-and-sean-moore-on-bullying-bigotry-and-losing-a-friend-hw7sns66v

Custard

Saw them in Kingston last night. A short acoustic set (7 songs), and a short Q&A session.

Loved every minute. JDB pulled out Donkeys (I bet he did, the dirty bollocks), which was nice

PaulTMA

Spiteface

Quote from: Shameless Custard on October 21, 2021, 11:32:00 AM
Saw them in Kingston last night. A short acoustic set (7 songs), and a short Q&A session.

Loved every minute. JDB pulled out Donkeys (I bet he did, the dirty bollocks), which was nice

Saw that setlist, Sleepflower and Die in the Summertime as well. Sounds like a real treat.

Custard

Yeah, was great. Though James didn't seem too pleased about doing Sleepflower!

Custard

Glyn

They also played a new song (featuring the words of R S Thomas' poem Christmas Eve) about 6 minutes into this clip from Micheal Sheen's Radio Wales show yesterday:

https://youtu.be/na-Mgd8R85A?t=381

Fairly sure that's the only Manics song to start with that word.