Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:40:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Yet another Manics thread

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, September 10, 2021, 12:48:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

The Secret He Had Missed has to be a modern Manics classic. Julia Cumming's vocals complimenting the tune perfectly. Lovely stuff

Kankurette

It's on of my favourites, along with Don't Let the Night Divide Us. Quest for Ancient Colour has some dreadful lyrics though.
Quote from: Shaky on September 13, 2021, 05:08:28 AM
I actually think it's OK, tune-wise, and the grim subject matter vs narcoleptic music vibe almost works (minus the Jimmy McGovern verse, of course).

My money's on that football song from a few years ago. Shitawful.
See, I liked that song BUT it was partly because it mentioned Gary Speed and I'm biased. I also like Liverpool Revisited, though a friend who's a massive Manics fan has a mate who was at Hillsborough and finds that song insulting.

Vivian isn't THAT bad but thanks to this forum, I'm never going to be able to listen to it with a straight face.
Quote from: amateur on September 13, 2021, 08:59:04 AM
Wither "Baby Elian"?
Don't remind me. AMERIKKKA LOL NO DEVILZ PLAYGROUND!!!11

Custard

I honestly haven't found any of the lyrics too clunky on this new one. Nothing that stands out as being particularly honking, anyway

"I've burned every bridge, except the one that leads to you" is lovely and moving and I thought "ah, that's nice for his wife to hear". But then I thought that's another one about Richey, isn't it? With the mention of a bridge an that. Maybe I'm reading too much into it

Glyn

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 14, 2021, 03:58:16 PM
"I've burned every bridge, except the one that leads to you" is lovely and moving and I thought "ah, that's nice for his wife to hear". But then I thought that's another one about Richey, isn't it? With the mention of a bridge an that. Maybe I'm reading too much into it
It's also the way I took it. They seem to have become a lot more coy about referring to Richey in songs though (or admitting it) after falling out with Edwards' sister around the time of Journal for Plague Lovers. It's only a theory but both taking Nobody Loves You off the This is my Truth reissue and denying that Walk Me To The Bridge was about him (it has to be, surely) were a bit odd.

On the topic of the lyrics I would say that despite all of the reviews quoting the Eton line  Afterending is a decent political lyric from Wire. Stands up with Golden Platitudes and 30 Years War I would say.The slow piano version of The Secret He Had Missed is also a bit of alright.

Kankurette

Nobody Loved You is one of the better songs on This Is My Truth as well. Cunts.

purlieu

I mean, it's still on there, just as a hidden track. And Prologue to History is an even better song. And the original album is still in print as it was. So not a big deal really.

Kankurette

I'm just annoyed I've never heard it live. Or Prologue to History, which is a banger. I love Black Holes for the Young as well, on the subject of B-sides.

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 10, 2021, 12:48:47 PM
Starting a new Manics thread as the new singles ended up being discussed in a This Is My Truth thread.

So the new album, The Ultra Vivid Lament, is out today.

We all know that Orwellian is bad, but Don't Let the Night Divide Us surpasses it. They've got some dreadful songs in their back catalogue but that one might be the absolute worst. The verses are painful, and then a few tracks later Into the Wings of Love copies the melody. Bizarre.

Like the last album, there's half a good record here but it's worrying how quickly they've become a pleasant Radio 2 band so soon after Futurology.

The definition of a 6/10 album. Maybe stick James Dean Bradfield's Even In Exile on instead because it's fucking great.

It's happened. It always happens. I think it's great now. Even Orwellian. Complicated Illusions and Afterending are the highlights though.

Don't Let The Night Divide Us is still rubbish, mind. Get rid of that and Into the Waves of Love and it's a 9/10. Though I'll probably change my mind on those songs in two to three weeks and claim they're in my Manics top 20.

Shaky

I will say that Blank Diary Entry is lovely, has a great chorus, and Lanegan's vocals work really well.

amateur

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 14, 2021, 03:58:16 PM
I honestly haven't found any of the lyrics too clunky on this new one. Nothing that stands out as being particularly honking, anyway

"Are we living in Orwellian times" is a little on the nose for me, personally.

Not enough lyrics in modern Manics imo. Much more fun when James had to fit three thousand into every song.

Quote from: Kankurette on September 14, 2021, 10:26:43 PMOr Prologue to History, which is a banger.

Yes, this slaps.

I'm also very fond of Judge your'Self, a right old racket.

markburgle

Orwellian has a great chorus but the verse sounds like it was written by an untalented beginner. "It - gets - haarrd / To-pick-a-side". Clunky dunky dunk dunk 

Kankurette

Fair play to Bradfield though, having to figure out how to cram Richey's lyrics into a tune must have been nightmarish.

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: markburgle on September 15, 2021, 09:33:43 AM
Orwellian has a great chorus but the verse sounds like it was written by an untalented beginner. "It - gets - haarrd / To-pick-a-side". Clunky dunky dunk dunk

They aimed for Abba and wound up with the theme from Bullseye.

zonko

Loathed the album on the first few listens, absolutely adore it now. I even love Don't Let the Night Divide Us, love the sentiments and the joyfullness, don't even mind that the tune is exactly the same as Kyle from South Park's 'Hey People You Gotta Drive Hybrids Now'.

Custard

Relistening to Rewind The Film now. That's a really strong album. Especially love the title track and 4 Lonely Roads with Cate Le Bon. Lovely stuff

Here's what I think should have made it to Resistance Is Future ahead of Vivian, Mirror Gaze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf3suY4U81Q

Pauline Walnuts

Nicky Wire needs to stop dying his hair, makes it look like a cheap wig.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmICzpbi5CA

Or maybe it is a cheap wig?

Limmy in a wig/fake beard combo.

My original post looks more ridiculous the more I listen to this record. Though I stand by my comment that Don't Let the Night Divide Us is pure plops. Get rid of that and the album's a belter.

Kankurette

CaB has officially RUINED Vivian for me now. I cannot take that song seriously because I keep thinking of him out of The Young Ones.

Custard

Liverpool Revisited is not far behind in the shit stakes

JohnnyCouncil

I confess that the first song has been darting around my brain all week without subsequent listens.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 16, 2021, 11:18:39 AM
Here's what I think should have made it to Resistance Is Future ahead of Vivian, Mirror Gaze

I don't like it. So I'll be back here in ten days to claim it's the best thing they've ever written.

Custard

A big reason I like it is cos its not Vivian

Glyn

Yes! They are making a habit of hiding away good tracks as Japan only releases . It was probably  left off due to it being too personal a lyric but My Drowning World has now turned up and is a belter of a Nicky Wire track (if you can take his vocals that is) :
https://youtu.be/T1jBJPL7jx8

JohnnyCouncil

I've caved on this one following a second listen.

purlieu

They've been knocking out exclusive bundles on the official store all week as Steps are closing in on them, although it's currently still the highest selling album, only by 330 copies.

JohnnyCouncil

Relistening to Rewind The Film now. That's a really strong album. Especially love the title track and 4 Lonely Roads with Cate Le Bon. Lovely stuff

Really love that album, last song shows they can still write a tune with teeth too.

Glyn

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 16, 2021, 11:50:25 AM
My original post looks more ridiculous the more I listen to this record. Though I stand by my comment that Don't Let the Night Divide Us is pure plops. Get rid of that and the album's a belter.

The one review that I found interesting before it came out (from Mojo of all places. Don't judge me too harshly , it's a free subscription that comes with my bank account) said something along the lines of 'you first think this could be their worst album but after giving into it you begin to suspect it could be one of their best' . Wasn't sure what they meant at the time but I'm also coming around to it the more I listen to it so I guess it's an official 'grower'. It helps for me that it stays relatively strong throughout the album and has a strong finish. It feels a lot more cohesive than Resistance is Futile and  more in the mould of their later albums that have a good level of depth to them. (Journal for Plague Lovers, Rewind The Film & Futurology)

For me it's only Into The Waves of Love which I still just can't get on with (it's the sequel to The Year of Purification that no one wanted) and even that has that mad 45 seconds which are interesting.

itsfredtitmus

whats wrong with the mcgovern verse

bgmnts

I once told a woman on okcupid my favourite Manics album was Send Away the Tigers and she abruptly blocked me.

amateur