Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 01:47:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I hear you're a child abuser now, Josh Homme

Started by The Mollusk, September 10, 2021, 01:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: iamcoop on September 13, 2021, 10:02:10 PM
Someone threw a wheelchair at Daphne and Celeste when they played Reading. A booking that was as pathetic as it was unfair from the organisers.

An incident that inspired the development of an unsuccessful video game.

Pauline Walnuts

What is it with Reading and dilberts throwing things?

And at the Reading festival, lolz.

iamcoop

Quote from: Kankurette on September 13, 2021, 02:43:04 PM
If 50 Cent at Reading is anything to go by, it hasn't worked. People were yeeting everything they could find at him.

I was there that year and I have to admit, 50 had the last laugh when he said "Thanks, that was the easiest two hundred grand I've ever made" whilst walking off after three minutes.

holyzombiejesus

Was it back when it was known as Reading Rocks when Meatloaf was faced with a torrent of bottles of piss? According to Melody Maker (or probably Sounds) he confronted the crowd with "Hey, do you guys want to throw piss or do you want to ROCK AND ROLL!!!??" Cue zillions of bottles of piss.

As an aside, who was the female fronted grungey US band whose singer gave their boyfriend a blowjob on stage because she had a sore throat? Think Everett True liked them and may have got them a MM cover or two on the back of it? Keep thinking 'The Germs' but obvs not them. I only ask as I had her (whoever she is) confused with Brodi Dalle and just realised it's not her.

iamcoop

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 13, 2021, 10:14:37 PM
Was it back when it was known as Reading Rocks when Meatloaf was faced with a torrent of bottles of piss? According to Melody Maker (or probably Sounds) he confronted the crowd with "Hey, do you guys want to throw piss or do you want to ROCK AND ROLL!!!??" Cue zillions of bottles of piss.

I think you've got two different events mixed up.

Twisted Sister endured the same thing and I'm sure Dee Snider says that exact phrase. (To give them credit they battle on through and deliver a very entertaining set.) It's on YouTube but I can't be bothered to find the exact time stamp : https://youtu.be/Zm-DA8TXuPM

And then of course there's the Nickleback classic : https://youtu.be/X5tBJ34wfOA

(FWIW I think bottling is pathetic. If you don't like it, don't watch. Simple)

EDIT: I think the Nickleback thing was my own memory and not yours. Not sure about the Meatloaf one but as soon as I read your post I immediately thought it was the Twisted Sister set.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 13, 2021, 10:14:37 PM
As an aside, who was the female fronted grungey US band whose singer gave their boyfriend a blowjob on stage because she had a sore throat? Think Everett True liked them and may have got them a MM cover or two on the back of it? Keep thinking 'The Germs' but obvs not them. I only ask as I had her (whoever she is) confused with Brodi Dalle and just realised it's not her.

That was Inger Lorre of The Nymphs, I think.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: iamcoop on September 13, 2021, 10:20:54 PM
I think you've got two different events mixed up.

Twisted Sister endured the same thing and I'm sure Dee Snider says that exact phrase. (To give them credit they battle on through and deliver a very entertaining set.) It's on YouTube but I can't be bothered to find the exact time stamp : https://youtu.be/Zm-DA8TXuPM

And then of course there's the Nickleback classic : https://youtu.be/X5tBJ34wfOA

(FWIW I think bottling is pathetic. If you don't like it, don't watch. Simple)

EDIT: I think the Nickleback thing was my own memory and not yours. Not sure about the Meatloaf one but as soon as I read your post I immediately thought it was the Twisted Sister set.

I was thinking of Meatloaf although the actual quote is slightly different.

"The tradition of unpopular artists getting bottled off at Reading goes back a long way. In 1988, Meat Loaf was bombarded with bottles of urine and stopped his set to inquire: "You wanna rock 'n' roll, or you wanna throw stuff?" A cider flagon in the face supplied his answer, and he stormed off."

https://www.nme.com/photos/worst-onstage-disasters-1416815#:~:text=MEAT%20LOAF%20PARADISE,answer%2C%20and%20he%20stormed%20off.

JaDanketies

Dr Rock

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 13, 2021, 10:25:07 PM

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html

I was there that year, my first Reading, and to be fair, look at that fucking saturday line-up. Bonnie Tyler, then Meatloaf then fucking Starship headlining. Nobody wanted any of that. Much of the piss was being symbolically thrown at the festival organisers, although it was Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf who actually had to dodge it.

GoblinAhFuckScary

that's a wonderful photo. would expect it on a v/vm release or mark fisher book or summin

edit:

ahhh yess this is what it reminds me of

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 14, 2021, 12:52:08 AM
I was there that year, my first Reading, and to be fair, look at that fucking saturday line-up. Bonnie Tyler, then Meatloaf then fucking Starship headlining. Nobody wanted any of that. Much of the piss was being symbolically thrown at the festival organisers, although it was Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf who actually had to dodge it.

It was my first Reading too. It was a fucking atrocious line-up made somewhat entertaining by the audience.

gilbertharding

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-88.html

That site is hilarious. This quote from a punter:

QuoteYes, as all reports stated, Reading 88 sucked badly. It was severely mismatched and felt like the organisers were doing it on purpose to get rid of the rockers and bikers. 'Host' Liz Kershaw was a complete tool and irritated the audience, talking to us like she was a higher lifeform.

When Deacon Blue were bottled off after 10 minutes (the poor, fragile dears), she berated us all and ordered us to ''pass all your bottles to the front of the stage immediately." Well, of course we co-operated - the sky was suddenly black with bottles and cans, all headed in one direction. She called us 'children' and that was the last of Ms Kershaw for the entire festival.
Meatloaf lost his temper when a bottle caught him square on, left the stage, came back on and said if one more flew, he was gone... well, Liz should have warned him about statements like that, so that was all for Meat. The in-between set music was also geared away from Reading's traditional fayre, being booed on a regular basis.

Ultimately, new organisers the Mean Fiddler got what they wanted, and for many of us, it was the last 'real' Reading Festival. Trouble was, no-one turned up to replace the lost revenue - should have been obvious guys - goodbye to another institution.

Yeah - whatever happened to the Reading Festival which was last staged in 1989?

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/reading-89.html

QuoteAttendance in 1989 doubled over 1988 and the festival was a sellout for the first time in years.

Pauline Walnuts

If you're a swaggering aggressive young man I suppose the downside to a festival full of nothing but gangs of swaggering aggressive young men wouldn't be so obvious.

gilbertharding

Reading 1989 was my first festival, as I might have said before. There were LOADS of people there from around the small East Anglian market town in which I lived at the time. Most of them roughly my age and similarly inclined towards the goth/indie/punk spectrum.

But I happened to bump into a couple of the older rock fans from the biker pub we all went to, and expressed my surprise at seeing them there. And they, in turn, told me how shit they thought it was this year. I didn't quite appreciate at the time, why they'd turned up to be so disappointed - but of course a mere 12 months earlier, I wouldn't have been seen dead there, and they'd have been right in their element watching Dumpy's Rusty Nuts.

Dr Rock

Quoteand felt like the organisers were doing it on purpose to get rid of the rockers and bikers

They were.

Pauline Walnuts

Tell you who would have gone down well at 70s Reading? Josh Homme and His Queens of the Stoneage.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 14, 2021, 11:58:37 AM
They were.

...which made it all the more poignant to see the ever dwindling numbers who didn't get the memo. My friends from the biker pub in 1989. I think the Mutoid Waste people were there then too, but not in 1990. And I saw this old hippy bloke walking around the arena completely naked in 90 or 91, like it was Woodstock or something.

Kankurette

Quote from: iamcoop on September 13, 2021, 10:02:10 PM
Someone threw a wheelchair at Daphne and Celeste when they played Reading. A booking that was as pathetic as it was unfair from the organisers.

I also remember the singer from Panic at the Disco getting knocked clean out by a bottle about ten seconds into their set, it's a vivid memory as my girlfriend at the time loved them and was absolutely distraught.
I also remember that. I didn't mind them but it was pretty funny.

I do not miss Reading. Way too old for it now.

On topic: didn't Josh Homme kick a photographer in the face?

rue the polywhirl

Just saw an update from a few days ago that a restraining order has been granted against Josh Homme for the third older child. 'They've turned the wee Hommes against us!'

The Mollusk

What do you expect? They come from a broken Homme.

Goldentony

£3000 donation to a children's charity from the OP if this ends up as any more Homme puns

Goldentony

his entire name it goes for, theres no technicalities from now

holyzombiejesus

Why does Sean Connery make jokes about the singer of Queens of the Stone Age?

He's Josh homme-musing (just amusing) himself.

Steven88

BeardFaceMan

GoblinAhFuckScary

Icehaven

I was amused when I learned that Homme is actually pronounced "Hommy", because it sounds sille, but apparently that's right.