Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:34:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hidden Tracks

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 11, 2021, 12:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Fucked if you've got a deck with auto-return ain't you.

New side prick (must be a stacker)

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: studpuppet on September 11, 2021, 10:02:15 AM
This whole video about Jack Black's Lazaretto ULTRA LP is ridiculous but there are hidden tracks under the label in the centre of the record.

The tracks are on the label, not under them. Ones a very short version of Curtis Mayfields' Pusherman, the other was the sounds of little kids laughing. (Watches video, oh yeah, they show that.)

Nothing clever, "Congratulations. You've just discovered the secret message. Please send your answer to my old wife and sister, care of the weightloss farm, Chalfont," Nothing good, nothing worthy of note or listening more than a couple of times, just novelty, bit like the whole thing really.

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2021, 07:27:39 PM
On the original copies of the One Step Beyond LP by Madness, their cover of the ska classic 'Madness' that closes Side 2* is oddly not featured in the tracklisting. It was appended to the US Sire LP release and later releases on CD.

Is that an early example of a hidden track?

*I don't include Chipmunks Are Go as really it's an album skit

REM have Untitled 11 at the end of Green that isn't on the tracklisting. One of their other albums has a little track at the end on the vinyl version as well but I can't remember which one

The hidden track on The Second Coming was useful if you wanted to annoy the fuck out of people back in the day.

Pauline Walnuts

Arab Strap's Cherubs E.P. had a hidden Star Wars track hidden -2.45 to 0.00 on the first track, I wonder if they paid the fees to John Williams for the Ben Kenobi Theme.

DrGreggles

Quote from: phantom_power on September 12, 2021, 09:21:08 AM
REM have Untitled 11 at the end of Green that isn't on the tracklisting.

No track 4 either.
Side 1 goes 1, 2, 3, R, 5.

Crazy guys!

idunnosomename

was thinking of making this thread when Endless, Nameless came up in the Nevermind threads about the baby willy.

Endless, Nameless is essentially the first hidden track, as 1991 was the year that albums were primarily released on CD rather than vinyl. However it was left off the first pressing, presumably because it confused the masterers.

As I said, you can't really do the hidden track on vinyl, because you're just wasting space on the disc which could be used for fidelity. Her Majesty and the gibberish run-out groove on Sgt Pepper's are about as close as you get.

One of the reasons they became popular is because most bands were never going to release 75 minutes of material in one go in the early '90s, so they just hid a little surprise at the end. Those jokers Tool were particularly fond of them. The Gaping Lotus Experience being hid after silence on Opiate (on the vinyl it was hidden in a double groove), Disgustipated after Flood being a bit of a strange song which then ends with seven minutes of crickets. On American pressings it was track 69. Which I guess makes it hidden. Although it is listed on the back. And Maynard's Dick on Salival, the only Tool song not in drop-D. Faaop de Oiad was also after silence but was listed on the back.

Essentially I found them very annoying by the 00s. If you used shuffle you'd end up getting the silence mixed in. The run times of some mp3s looked like epics, when actually they were mostly silence then some rubbish at the end.

I never owned any CDs with stuff hidden in the pregap, (although I do remember being very confused how some live albums had crowd noise that didn't come up when you selected track one).

And then there's Guns n' Roses hiding a Charles Manson song at the end of the worst cover album ever.

chveik

there is one Viktor Vaughn's Vaudeville Villain (after the sound of a storm)

batwings

There's a rather pointless one at the end of Music For The Masses by Depeche Mode, after the last listed track, Pimpf.

https://youtu.be/JPLKem4OYYo (4:18 in)

Egyptian Feast

The (superior) Mo' Wax version of the Dr Octagon has my favourite hidden track. The sleeve says 'Look out for Mr Gerbick' below the tracklisting and 20-30 seconds after the final listed track 'Waiting List' a fella says out of the blue "I would have been completely dead had it not been for the shark man", we get a bit of dialogue about a guy who has the "body of a shark and the arms and face of a man?" "That's the chop!" "HOLY JUMPING JACKFISH!" which leads to the glorious 'halfsharkalligatorhalfman'.

The track was moved earlier in the album for the Dreamworks version, no longer hidden, but losing the dialogue at the beginning. They also chopped two of my favourite tracks, the cads.

Egyptian Feast

Think I may have triggered the edit glitch tweaking my Dr Octagon post so I'll just say "You have bees flying around your rectum. You need a bad operation." and leave it at that.

holdover

World Party hid a Beach Boys Gulf War pastiche at the end of their Bang! album in 1993.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ApDAgCEgnS8

After the last track on the 'Woodface' album by Crowded House, there's about 30 seconds of silence before a fairly rowdy/screamy-shouty hidden track called 'I'm Still Here' suddenly starts up.

Kankurette

Jack Off Jill loved doing this. Angels Fuck Devils Kiss on Sexless Demons & Scars was track 66 or something (because I guess they couldn't get 666) and the cover of Lovesong on Clear Hearts Grey Flowers was track 99. It was fun copying that CD to iTunes, let me tell you. As for other bands I like, System of a Down have one called Arto on Toxicity with bongos and chanting, Mansun have a really good one on Attack of the Grey Lantern called An Open Letter to the Lyrical Trainspotter, and Catatonia had Gyda Gwen on Way Beyond Blue, though I didn't know until a few months later when it got a mention in Record Collector. I did wonder why the lyrics to some random Welsh song were in the booklet. One of the guys is trying to tune his guitar and you hear Cerys going 'is that an A flat?'

Space had an odd one on Tin Planet where it's hidden between Disco Dolly and Fran In Japan. It's three seconds of silence. If you look at the tracklisting, Disco Dolly is 12 and Fran in Japan is 14 - fuck knows why they did it, something to do with them being superstitious.

All Surrogate

JesusAndYourBush

One time around 2001 I was downloading a track from one of the peer to peer programs, probably winMX, and with a 56k modem you'd get around 4.something k/sec download speed, but this one track started coming down at about 22k/sec and I was amazed.  When I played it, it comprised a 4 minute track, 6 minutes of silence, and a short hidden track, and it was the silent part that downloaded at 22k/sec.  Either you can fit more zeros in a packet or maybe there was some sort of data compression going on.

bos

Sonny_Jim

There I was, little Sonny_Jim the teenage lad,  I had the house to myself so I was wanking blasting out Sepultura- Chaos A.D on the living room Hi-Fi.  After the album had finished, I went off to wank do something else.  About 15 minutes later I hear this maniac laughing in the living room.  I shit my pants was very scared indeed, thinking that someone had broken in.

Turns out there's a secret track at the end of the album that is just someone laughing.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: bos on September 13, 2021, 03:17:30 AM
Melt Banana's cover of "Neat Neat Neat" on Charlie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ppk94JF18

Well baise mon chapeau... I've had this CD for 20+ years. I suppose I need to find a CD player now.

buzby

Soulwax are enthusiasts of the pre-gap hidden track on their albums.
Leave the Story Untold: Untitled track in the pregap. Also there is a hidden short hidden track called Intro which starts after 7 minutes of silence after the  final track.
Much Against Everyone's Advice: Untitled track in the pregap
As Heard On Radio Soulwax Pt. 2: Kylie Minogue - Can't Get You Out Of My Head (Soulwax Elektronic Remix) in the pregap
Any Minute Now: Untitled track in pregap, which later became I Love Techno on Nite Versions.
Nite Versions: Untitled track in pregap, which is a 51-second instrumental borrowing the guitar riff of E Talking from Any Minute Now
Most of the Remixes...Einstürzende Neubauten - Stella Maris (Soulwax Remix) in the pregap. It is the 'lost' remix mentioned in the full title of the album.
Belgica OST: Untitled track in the pregap (titled 'Theme From Belgica' on the Japanese release)
From Deewee: Spoken word intro in the pregap - Stephen Dewaele saying the catalogue number and format ("zero two two compact disc"), followed by a short test tone.

jobotic

Can think of a couple I have

Kid606 thing - five minutes of silence then 40+ minutes of Get Your freak On slowed down with a load of noise over the top. It's alright.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Freakbitchlickfly/release/38705

Printed Circuit - 50 tiny silent tracks before the hidden one. Which isn't as good as the first five.

https://www.discogs.com/Printed-Circuit-Acrobotics/release/50968

Pauline Walnuts

The Beetles - Her Majesty, the hidden track on Abbey Road.

Some silliness at the end of Princess Superstar's CEO, preceded by about 40 tracks of 5 second silence and one of 2:07, which I thought was a nice touch.

turnstyle

Streaming services have ruined hidden tracks really. It's either listed as a standard album track, out there in the open for anyone to see, OR the last track is 15 minutes long, which is always a giveaway.

Out of interest I just checked 1977 on Tidal, and the collectors edition for it has Sick Party just fucking there on the listing, like a proper song like it's Bennie and the Jets or something. Fucks sake. Ruined. That was my first dance at my wedding as well. Tarnished now. Cheers you streaming twats.

Campbell Soupe

Arcade Fire's Reflektor had a ten minute track in the cd pregap.. bits of all the tracks played backwards: cos it's, like, a REFLECTION ("..of a reflection, of a reflection, of a reflection, of a reflection, of a reflection...ahhhh") of the album - geddit?

Dead clever and high concept, or utter arse.

Malcy

I can remember loads and loads from late 90's/early 2000's hip hop albums. I'm sure Missy Elliot's Miss E Addictive album had about 40 tracks, 25 of them silent before the last was a hidden track.

Today I found an odd one. I got Raphael Saadiq's Jimmy Lee album on vinyl at the weekend. The album finishes halfway through the D side and then there's a big space before it starts on another track which doesn't seem to be by him and I'm not sure who it is really!

SteveDave

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 11, 2021, 12:03:07 AM
I remember Kenickie had one on one of their albums - some bluesy song about Emmy-Kate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwGglEIImnk

MONTROSE GIMPS IT UP FOR CHARITY!