Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:52:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Come From Away (2021, 9/11 Musical)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, September 11, 2021, 06:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

This is the filmed version of the Broadway stage musical about how on 9/11 a shed load of planes ended up stuck at an airport in the small town of Gander in Newfoundland, with many of the passengers initially not being told why, while the town's folk rally round and offer to help. Based on the true stories of some of the passengers and town's citizens the first half hour is a bit of a slog and I thought about quitting but it picks up in the second half as it becomes a celebration of how humanity comes together in times of need, well, apart from the one Muslim male in the cast who is horrifically assaulted by security guards. A lot of the first half contains group numbers which are oddly dull but again the second half improves and has a fair few decent songs, and it ended up winning me over by the end. 6.9/10

I have to say though, it's oddly animal obsessed which is something I didn't expect about a musical about people responding to a terrorist attack:

famethrowa

I'd say it was okayyy, I'll give it 6/10. Saw it at one of the biggest theaters in the city and I got the feeling I was seeing a community show put on by a professional company.... that is to say I don't think the writing was that great. The music used the same 3-chord run again and again but I guess they can get away with that.

Dex Sawash

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: famethrowa on September 12, 2021, 12:34:59 PM
I'd say it was okayyy, I'll give it 6/10. Saw it at one of the biggest theaters in the city and I got the feeling I was seeing a community show put on by a professional company.... that is to say I don't think the writing was that great. The music used the same 3-chord run again and again but I guess they can get away with that.

I can't argue with that in the slightest and if I'd paid to see it I think I'd have been far harsher in my review, the first act really is dull and like you say the writing really isn't that great, and the same 3 chord run frustrated me too. I think I only gave it a relatively decent score as I liked the second half a lot more, plus the fact that it was based on true stories, if it hadn't been I'd have rated it a lot lower.

Ferris

I will point out that Nova Scotia took in more planes and people than Newfoundland on 9/11. Where's our fucking musical then?

(Saw this on Broadway, enjoyed it. Easily a 7.5 for me, Clive.)