Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:57:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

CopShop (2021)

Started by surreal, September 12, 2021, 10:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

surreal

Saw this yesterday for lack of much else to see.  New movie from Joe Carnahan (The Grey, Smoking Aces), with Gerard Butler and Frank Grillo.  Carnahan re-visits an old favourite topic of hitmen and dirty cops with this story of a political fixer who gets himself arrested to try and stay safe from those trying to kill him, but picks the wrong police station. 

Toby Huss is great as a completely unhinged hitman, and a great turn from Alexis Louder as the hero cop who will just not let anything lie.  It's pretty talky to be honest, but there is plenty of action when it get's going, but it did feel it was missing something and it's not as clever as it probably wants to be.  It's been a while though since I was left wanting a sequel to something as much as this, the ending offers a lot of possibilities.

Anyway - not great, but not the worst thing I'll see this year and a good diversion if you like these kind of things

7/10

Famous Mortimer

That description reminds me a little bit of Assault On Precinct 13, which I should watch again soon.

phantom_power

How annoying is Gerard Butler in it? I try to avoid any film he is in

surreal

He's mostly chained up and just talking until the last 20 minutes or so - he didn't particularly annoy me which is unusual.

Assault on Precinct 13 is one of the other clear inspirations but it is not as good or as thrilling as that so just go and watch the original.

This is pretty fair:  "In the end, 'Copshop' is aggressively okay, and that'll probably be more than enough for most viewers. "

https://www.slashfilm.com/603346/copshop-review-gerard-butler-and-frank-grillo-face-off-in-joe-carnahans-trashy-fun-actioner