Author Topic: Biographies of Comedians  (Read 1442 times)

Biographies of Comedians
« on: September 12, 2021, 01:22:15 PM »
Even better - autobiographies....

I'm halfway reading John Barbour's "Your Mother's Not a Virgin!: The Bumpy Life and Times of the Canadian Dropout who changed the Face of American TV!" and it's really good.

Of course, Mort Sahl's "Heartland"..

I have and think I liked Lenny Bruce's (even though I'm not a fan of his) autobiography, "How To Be Dirty And Influence People"

I love comparing them in my head, to see what they include and what they omit from this new style of comedy that boomed in the 1950/60s... If you have any recommendations from that time, whether you liked them or not, I'd be interested.

Too bad Bill Hicks or George Carlin never wrote one.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
Re: Biographies of Comedians
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 03:21:17 PM »
Too bad ... George Carlin never wrote one.

But he did - or dictated one, basically... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Words_(book)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 03:37:59 PM by McChesney Duntz »

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:37:01 PM »

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
But he did - or dictated one, basically... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Words_(book)

I have this. In an interview Carlin said it wasn't an autobiography, but a "sortabiography" and Tony Hendra wrote a ton of the book.

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 03:49:48 PM »
I have this. In an interview Carlin said it wasn't an autobiography, but a "sortabiography" and Tony Hendra wrote a ton of the book.

Yes, fine. Still more autobiographical fact in it than, say, Lenny Bruce's.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 08:21:51 PM »
Been a long time since I read it but Frank Skinner's first autobiography is very enjoyable. Still quite laddish at that point but does have a genuine honesty to it.

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 08:53:03 PM »
Alexei Sayle's Stalin Ate My Homework and Thatcher Stole My Trousers are both well worth reading. The latter is especially interesting for comedy aficionados.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 01:31:54 AM »
I second Alexei Sayle.

Most mainstream comedians' autobiographies are either okay but not essential - eg David Mitchell, Lee Mack - or disappointingly dull - eg Coogan and Brydon. A case of the publishers making an offer they couldn't refuse, I guess.

Graham Chapman's 'A Liar's Autobiography' is essential - over 40 years old and hasn't dated at all.

Similarly playful, revealing and self-critical is Phil Kay's 'The Wholly Viable', a book that probably made him fuck all but had to be written.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 08:02:44 AM »
It's not the same. That was "Funniest"..

Gotcha, you want the comedian biographies that aren't funny ;-)

Hobo With A Shit Pun

• Fuck. You've confused the goat.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 12:40:05 PM »
Gotcha, you want the comedian biographies that aren't funny ;-)

Eric Sykes's If I Don't Write This... isn't very funny, but is certainly interesting.
Most iinnteresting (and least funny) detail: I would never have guessed that Sykes was a foillower of Ayn Rand, but there you go, some peopel are just disappointing. And his close friendship with the similarly disappointing Milligan should have warned me.
But, really, Ayn Rand?

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Doug Stanhope - This Is Not Fame

(I'd recommend listening to him dictate this)

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2021, 01:39:40 PM »
I know Rik Mayall is a lovely bloke and comedy legend and all that, but I didn't like his autobiography 'Bigger than Hitler, Better than Christ'.  It's just the way it's written makes him seem obnoxious, it's fun for the first couple of chapters but a whole book of 'and I was the best and everybody clapped' was just annoying.  Just felt massively overcompensating for a lack of self confidence.  Maybe I didn't read it properly, I dunno.

The bit with the quad bike was good tho.

RHX

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 12:15:00 AM »
Doug Stanhope - This Is Not Fame

(I'd recommend listening to him dictate this)

All of his books are best experienced in audiobook form, I'd say.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 02:22:32 AM »
I know Rik Mayall is a lovely bloke and comedy legend and all that, but I didn't like his autobiography 'Bigger than Hitler, Better than Christ'.  It's just the way it's written makes him seem obnoxious, it's fun for the first couple of chapters but a whole book of 'and I was the best and everybody clapped' was just annoying.  Just felt massively overcompensating for a lack of self confidence.  Maybe I didn't read it properly, I dunno.

The bit with the quad bike was good tho.

Totally my memory of it too. The parts about the accident and being in hospital were very moving, but the mock-Flashheart narrative was overdone.

It's been 15 years since though - I think I'll try another read of it.

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 02:43:04 PM »
Bob Monkhouse's Crying With Laughter is an excellent autobiography. Very honest in describing his failings and shortcomings.

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 12:04:53 PM »
Simon Day's book is very good. He had problems with addiction and was in borstal so he had plenty to cover.

Echo Valley 2-6809

• Part of no circle
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 03:43:21 PM »
Bob Monkhouse's Crying With Laughter is an excellent autobiography. Very honest in describing his failings and shortcomings.
If he'd waited a few years longer he could have mentioned his alleged failing and shortcoming with Des O'Connor's 11-year-old daughter.

Magnum Valentino

• Formerly magval
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 05:28:09 PM »
Simon Day's book is very good. He had problems with addiction and was in borstal so he had plenty to cover.

He's also a terrific writer. Fantastic matter of factness about him and zero fat. I respect him enormously. It's also very very funny.

Tags: