Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:03:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

honestly think Radiohead are good

Started by madhair60, September 13, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

genuinely like them, sorry. da da da da daaaaa, in its right plaaaace

JaDanketies

I don't merely like them - I think they ought to be critically acclaimed.

I never even gave them a chance until my mid-20s because all the people who liked them when I was a teenager also liked bands like The Kooks and The Hives.

DrGreggles

The Bends is good. Half of OK Computer is good.

madhair60

Seedsy

The bends
Ok computer
In rainbows
Kid A

In that order

popcorn

chutnut

To offer a counter point - I don't think Radiohead are good

Spiteface

They're alright,

But They're responsible for 99.9999999% of the wankiest youtube comments I've ever read.

jobotic

Never looked into them because the only songs I heard I found dull. And his voice.

I would really like Pyramid Song if he'd shut up. Is there an istrumental?

popcorn

Custard

It's nice that they've never gone shit. I really would've thought they'd have gone shit by now

lankyguy95

Pablo Honey - some good tracks, not their worst.
The Bends - yeah good
Ok Computer - well good
Kid A - well good too (maybe even better)
Amnesiac - not good
Hail To The Thief - some good
In Rainbows - well good again
The King Of Limbs - come on, not good at all
A Moon Shaped Pool - well good opener and closer. Nondescript in between.

These are the facts as everyone should see them.

DrGreggles

The Mollusk

There's one thing no one can't deny about radio head and that's this: they certainly are a band

studpuppet

idunnosomename

If tool and radiohead had a battle over who of them made the most deep and complex music of all time, tool would definitely win because of their use of the fibbionacci sequence and carl jung. QED.

The Mollusk

The only reason no one has ever broke on through to the other side listening to Radiohead whilst ingesting psilocybin and reading Timothy Leary is because their weedy fuckin dork fans are too chickenshit to try it

Gregory Torso

You know those anti-teenager alarms that broadcast annoying sonic frequencies only young people can hear, to stop kids gathering near bus stops and playgrounds with their Sunny Delights and knives, Thom Yorke's voice is like that, except for adults.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: studpuppet on September 13, 2021, 11:57:39 AM
Best of the Britpop bands, certainly.

Look, I know genres are pretty flexible and ultimately it doesn't matter, but it always baffled me why Radiohead were considered part of the Britpop thing. Britpop to me meant jingly-jangly fluorescent pop, which had one foot in 60s beat music and another foot in 70s glam. Radiohead were always too serious, introverted and proggy for Britpop.

I never worshipped and adored them like a lot of my peers did but, yeah, they were pretty undeniably good.

studpuppet

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 13, 2021, 12:40:28 PM
it always baffled me why Radiohead were considered part of the Britpop thing

Were they? I was making a joke...

popcorn

The Bends and sometimes OKC get tagged as Britpop, I think basically because they were a British guitar band in the 90s, though I think part of Radiohead's enduring success comes from the fact that they managed to dodge that bubble.

Quote from: Pitchfork's Best Britpop albums
Radiohead were never a Britpop band, but on The Bends, they became the vent through which its subconscious fumed. As optimism swirled around Tony Blair's ascent and the resurgent economy, 1995 saw Britpop fever erupt into a Dionysian free-for-all, with boozy shenanigans dominating tabloid headlines. To that, these Oxford oddballs issued their second album, a doomed cry from the party's cellar. As they echoed Britpop's disdain toward unchecked wealth, the pop-oriented album also undermined the movement, suspicious of both hedonism and Blair's New Labour (which minted the left's new pact with neoliberalism).

The Bends' title track—with its histrionic cries of "I wanna be part of the human race!"—mopes in the mid-'90s zeitgeist's shadow, mooring Britpop's social theatricality in grunge's grandiose alienation. That song, with its jibes at Radiohead's '60s-worshipping peers, rubs shoulders with radio-friendly ballads (see "High and Dry" and its tetchier sibling, "Fake Plastic Trees") that anticipated the airbrushed post-Britpop rock of Coldplay and Travis. But the record's integrity to the Britpop years lies in the way it challenged a jaded generation's imagination. The unlikely breakout single was "Street Spirit (Fade Out)," which channels a sense of capitalist dread that even class-conscious Britpop artists repressed. And while the album found Radiohead in the jaws of a decade they hadn't yet learned to outmaneuver, its epic portrayal of drift and disenchantment secures its reluctant spot in Britpop's pantheon.

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/10045-the-50-best-britpop-albums/?page=5

Dusty Substance

Quote from: studpuppet on September 13, 2021, 12:46:07 PM
Were they? I was making a joke...

Oh, in that case *wooooosshhh* over my head. But as per popcorn's link, some certainly did consider them Britpop.

Street Spirit featured on this comp https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Live_Forever:_The_Rise_and_Fall_of_Brit_Pop

Custard

I dunno,

"we're gonna live foreverrrr"

"Cracked eggs, dead birds
Scream as they fight for life
I can feel death, can see its beady eyes"

Fits perfectly

popcorn

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 11:26:50 AM
not liking RHCP is a basic bitch position. reconsider.

which album should i listen to

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 01:07:11 PM
How do you feel about Pavement?

They're great.

Radiohead also unironically great.

RHCP are one of the worst things that's happened to music. They should be locked up.

non capisco

Quote from: Shameless Custard on September 13, 2021, 12:59:20 PM
I dunno,

"we're gonna live foreverrrr"

"Cracked eggs, dead birds
Scream as they fight for life
I can feel death, can see its beady eyes"

Fits perfectly

How can a dead bird fight for its life? Make your mind up, Yorke-o, you throbber.