Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:29:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

honestly think Radiohead are good

Started by madhair60, September 13, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on September 13, 2021, 01:33:20 PM
which album should i listen to

TBH I'm not enough of a RHCP fan to think any of their albums are persistently great all the way through. But go and listen to Californiation (the song) again and notice the the way the guitar and bass communicate like the left and right hands on a piano, the pained, restrained, sad solo, the snare sound. They are easy to mistake for ghastly - it took me 20 years to stop making this mistake. They are professionals

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 01:47:12 PM
But go and listen to Californiation (the song) again and notice the the way the guitar and bass communicate like the left and right hands on a piano, the pained, restrained, sad solo, the snare sound. They are easy to mistake for ghastly - it took me 20 years to stop making this mistake. They are professionals

Probably the daftest thing you've ever written on here and that's going some.

Cuellar

Nervous about agreeing with popcorn in case this turns out to be a lampoon

imitationleather

During secondary school being into Kid A when it came out made me feel a lot, lot better than everyone else there. So there's that.

Inspector Norse

I think Radiohead are great but I can understand people not liking them because they're not to all tastes. Hope this is OK with everyone.

the science eel

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 01:47:12 PM
TBH I'm not enough of a RHCP fan to think any of their albums are persistently great all the way through. But go and listen to Californiation (the song) again and notice the the way the guitar and bass communicate like the left and right hands on a piano, the pained, restrained, sad solo, the snare sound. They are easy to mistake for ghastly - it took me 20 years to stop making this mistake. They are professionals

Good lad

the science eel

The Mollusk

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 13, 2021, 03:20:40 PM
I think Radiohead are great but I can understand people not liking them because they're not to all tastes. Hope this is OK with everyone.

No, and I don't think there's anything further you could say which would ever make it even close to okay. You've absolutely fucked it, ruined Radiohead for the fans, irrevocably tarnished their art for any newcomers and scuppered any chances of converting naysayers or cynics. Fucks sake mate.

idunnosomename

Baby your mind is a radio
Got a receiver inside my head
Baby I'm tuned to your wavelength
Lemme tell you what it says:

Transmitter!
Oh! Picking up something good
Hey, radio head!
The sound...of a brand-new world.

chveik

i like 'Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors'. that's it

Pauline Walnuts

I remember hearing that album that came out in 2000, on the double 10" things, I forget which one. Sounded like the post-rock stuff I was listening to 5 years before, but more commercial, Just hopelessly derivative.

I was a right little snob then.

Still am.

Pauline Walnuts

I quite liked their Fake Plastic Trees/that video where they drown that bloke era, but I've always liked the art end of Britpop

madhair60

got Kid A on and Idioteque just come on feel like crying it's that good.

jobotic

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 13, 2021, 03:20:40 PM

I can't FUCKING believe what I'm READING here.

studpuppet

Quote from: jobotic on September 13, 2021, 05:16:35 PM
I can't FUCKING believe what I'm READING here.

I had to google what RHCP was.

- Red Hot Chili Peppers mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead
- Radiohead identified as Britpop

*trudges over to the 'Musical F**k My Hat thread*

popcorn

Quote from: studpuppet on September 13, 2021, 05:26:15 PM
I had to google what RHCP was.

- Red Hot Chili Peppers mentioned in the same breath as Radiohead
- Radiohead identified as Britpop

*trudges over to the 'Musical F**k My Hat thread*

wait until you found out about members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers being in the same band as Radiohead members

Inspector Norse

See I actually think of Radiohead a lot the same way I think of David Bowie, people who took a myriad fascinating ideas and influences and used them to make music very identifiably their own, never losing sight of those crucial ingredients, hooks and riffs.
Only main difference is that while Bowie sang about coked-up alien rock stars with rayguns, Radiohead sang about how dull commuting is.

PaulTMA

the ouch cube

The best one is 'Climbing Up The Walls', which is about glowing monster eyes in your closet

SOMK

The funniest thing on this site is the whole people pretending to like alien 3 thing, the second funniest would be if people start pretending RHCP aren't shite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlWe0B-r9E

Cuellar

Quote from: SOMK on September 13, 2021, 06:24:13 PM
The funniest thing on this site is the whole people pretending to like alien 3 thing, the second funniest would be if people start pretending RHCP aren't shite https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSlWe0B-r9E

The point of this bit is that the jokes are so deliberately bad and over the top that he's actually sending up people who don't like RHCP

Buelligan

They're easily as good as Mendelssohn.  I do like them.

The Mollusk

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: jobotic on September 13, 2021, 11:25:25 AM

I would really like Pyramid Song if he'd shut up. Is there an istrumental?

I concur. 

I admire Radiohead from afar but I really like Jonny Greenwood's soundtrack work and his reggae compilation.

Indomitable Spirit

Feel like they exist in this unsatisfying valley between "experimental band" and "stadium band" where they serve neither master particularly well.

Still think the big chorus shit off The Bends sounds ace and Paranoid Android is a pretty mindblowing single, but anything after just feels like a blander facsimile of more interesting music.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 13, 2021, 07:07:42 PM
Feel like they exist in this unsatisfying valley between "experimental band" and "stadium band" where they serve neither master particularly well.

Can't they just exist as a "great band"? They're good at that.

Oh fuck I'm actually getting involved now

Brundle-Fly

The "experimental" tag for any popular rock act will always ruffle feathers with the purists. "Cuh! Beefheart/ Can/ Aphex were doing this schtick years ago etc, Kid A is far too accessible compared to what Autechre put out. " etc.  Then, somebody will say
"Autechre? Ha, how middlebrow. V/VM is where it's at."

And so on, and so forth, until only Thom Yorke using his dead grandmother's ribcage as a marimba shuts everyone up.

Butchers Blind

I liked The Bends and to a lesser extent OKC. After that, it all sounded a bit whiny.