Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 04:58:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

honestly think Radiohead are good

Started by madhair60, September 13, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 05:27:25 PM
wait until you found out about members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers being in the same band as Radiohead members
Rediohod Chilli Peppers

madhair60

could we stop talking about the red hot chili peppers in my radiohead thread thanks

ProvanFan

Nowhere Man

They're undenieably good, but maybe I just find them too po faced, idk. I can't exactly say they're too depressing when I worship yer Elliott Smith's and yer Buckley's and Sun Kil Red House Moon Painters[nb](although fuck you Mark you creepy git)[/nb] can I?
Weird Fishes is a banger i've recently discovered.

sutin

Quote from: Nowhere Man on September 14, 2021, 04:30:04 AM
They're undenieably good

No art is 'undeniably good', surely? I don't think they're particularly good.

sutin

Quote from: popcorn on September 13, 2021, 01:47:12 PM
TBH I'm not enough of a RHCP fan to think any of their albums are persistently great all the way through. But go and listen to Californiation (the song) again and notice the the way the guitar and bass communicate like the left and right hands on a piano, the pained, restrained, sad solo, the snare sound. They are easy to mistake for ghastly - it took me 20 years to stop making this mistake. They are professionals

I'm a mild RHCP defender but not of the Californication and onwards stuff, fuck that. First 4 albums are a lot of fun. True Men Don't Kill Coyotes, Jungle Man, Me & My Friends, Taste The Pain... Once they hit the '90s and had a hit with Under The Bridge, it was a downwards descent.

lankyguy95

One Hot Minute is underrated and genuinely good. Way better than anything after.

sutin

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 14, 2021, 10:16:57 AM
One Hot Minute is underrated and genuinely good. Way better than anything after.

Oh easily better than anything after. Maybe I should have included BSSM and One Hot Minute, but I always think of Under The Bridge being a hit as the point the blandness started to creep in. It creeped in slowly and then took over on fucking Californication.

sevendaughters

blandness was a better look on RHCP than the utter dreck they did earlier

popcorn

Quote from: sutin on September 14, 2021, 10:11:23 AM
No art is 'undeniably good', surely? I don't think they're particularly good.

try denying that Pavement are good. go on. you won't be able to.

chutnut

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2021, 07:34:09 PM
The "experimental" tag for any popular rock act will always ruffle feathers with the purists. "Cuh! Beefheart/ Can/ Aphex were doing this schtick years ago etc, Kid A is far too accessible compared to what Autechre put out. " etc.  Then, somebody will say
"Autechre? Ha, how middlebrow. V/VM is where it's at."

And so on, and so forth, until only Thom Yorke using his dead grandmother's ribcage as a marimba shuts everyone up.

Anyone who thinks v/vm is highbrow is a right plonker, when I saw him the gig lasted about 5 mins before he tried to stagedive and knocked himself out on the floor

Pauline Walnuts

chutnut

He uses humour a lot bit I wouldn't say it's a comedy act. He does/did such a wide range of stuff that I don't think it could all be reduced to one thing

JaDanketies

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2021, 07:34:09 PM
The "experimental" tag for any popular rock act will always ruffle feathers with the purists. "Cuh! Beefheart/ Can/ Aphex were doing this schtick years ago etc, Kid A is far too accessible compared to what Autechre put out. " etc.  Then, somebody will say
"Autechre? Ha, how middlebrow. V/VM is where it's at."

And so on, and so forth, until only Thom Yorke using his dead grandmother's ribcage as a marimba shuts everyone up.

Agreed. Hate this about a lot of hipster / underground music. Too many people are desperate to outdo each-other. Frankly, sometimes you listen to people's most avant-garde recommendations and the emperor has no clothes.

I remember when I was 14 on Audiogalaxy, this attitude was one of the things that pushed me to like extreme metal. You'd listen to Slayer or something, and in the comments someone would be inferring that anyone who listened to anything less heavy than Cannibal Corpse was a homosexual. Then you'd listen to Cannibal Corpse and you would discover that you were still a homosexual and that this was pop music, and that you should be listening to Mortician instead.

sutin

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 14, 2021, 10:31:49 AM
blandness was a better look on RHCP than the utter dreck they did earlier

Jesus.

sutin

Quote from: popcorn on September 14, 2021, 10:39:26 AM
try denying that Pavement are good. go on. you won't be able to.

I think I did elsewhere on this website. Let's keep this thread on topic (Red Hot Chili Peppers).

sutin

Famous Mortimer is going to show up now, right? I'm due a telling off.

the science eel

Quote from: sutin on September 14, 2021, 12:13:27 PM
Jesus.

It's true. Californication had some fine tunes. A few years earlier they were putting out shit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8

which can objectively be proven to be one of the very worst rock songs ever released

sutin

Quote from: the science eel on September 14, 2021, 12:20:46 PM
It's true. Californication had some fine tunes. A few years earlier they were putting out shit like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr_uHJPUlO8

which can objectively be proven to be one of the very worst rock songs ever released

Yeah, i'm not a fan of that either. This is my kind of Chili Peppers...

https://youtu.be/esAuVsu3puM

chveik

El Unicornio, mang

I actually really rate Pablo Honey, partly I guess because it was the first CD I ever got, the same Xmas I got my first hi-fi so was exciting for that reason, but I generally like the vibe of it.

The Bends I think will always be my favourite (some great B-sides for the singles also). Love everything up to the last 2 albums which I found pretty patchy.

Saw them live at T-In the Park in '96, first time hearing No Surprises which I found amazing even then. Saw them again in Tampa in 2008, seem to recall they played a lot of In Rainbows, which was fine as it's one of my favourites.

Custard

Where do people stand on Thom's solo stuff?

I thought The Eraser was excellent, like a sequel of sorts to the feel of Kid A, but I haven't really got with the ones since. The "superband" with Twat From The Chili Peppers wasn't very memorable either

He's done some great cameos on other people's records though. Rabbit In Your Headlights with Unkle, El President with Drugstore, two tunes with PJ Harvey, others I'm forgetting

popcorn

Never liked The Eraser much. Always felt it sounded limited and demo-ish, a bit laptoppy in the bad way. Pretty much exactly how you'd imagine Thom Yorke to sound without the full cast really. I remember people at the time saying it sounded like Kid A, but I don't think it's that similar really - Kid A has a range of sounds and textures and styles, and sounds sleek and hi-fi, whereas Eraser is quite one-note and scrappy.

I really like Tomorrow's Modern Boxes but that seems to be the one people like the least. I admire its restraint and the minimalism of the arrangements, a true electronic record. It has good hygiene somehow.

I didn't really get Anima - I found lots of it very meandering. The track Traffic I particularly object to, where it opens up into the big reverb-y piano for the outro. It feels very cheap and obvious to me somehow, like "look it's a piano drenched in reverb, what a lush ambient sound", with nothing interesting happening compositionally. I like Runwayaway, that hooky little earworm synth noodle.

Atoms for Peace were very interesting to watch live but yeah a lot of the songs are pretty dull. Ingenue is lovely, I love the synth.

Johnny Textface

I used to love 'em. There can't be too many bands that have been demonstrably experimental and still headline arenas and festivals. Very talented musicians and songwriters. They are good value live as their catalogue has a good mixture of tempos and polyrythms and shit like that. They're a 6 out 5 them lads. Best of British.

thenoise

Amnesiac was the last album that a friend copied onto cassette for me. Thanks, Richard! I was already heavily into Napster/etc by then but it saved me the time (I was on dial up).

Its not a great album to have on cassette. You'll be wearing out that fast forward button after the first few listens. The jazzy one at the end was cool tho.

ProvanFan

turnstyle

Great bunch of lads.

In the early days of the internet, I used to be involved in the Radiohead tape trading scene (one at a time, ladies), and would feverishly swap bootlegs with others to find rare songs or early versions and so on. I just googled the site I made for it and somehow it still exists, 20+ years later. I even gave my site a name that would later become a Radiohead song title. Coincidence? Yes, almost certainly.

I remember pre-Kid A, thinking the 4th album was going to be 'fricking rad', or whatever expression I would have said at the time, based on the new songs they were playing live. Big Boots, Follow Me Around, True Love Waits, Reckoner (not that one), Nude...my god, how can it NOT had been incredible.

Then it came out and it was all bleepy bloopy and it threw me for a fucking loop. Despite not containing any of the tracks I'd been waiting for, it sunk its little teeth into me, and to this day, still gives me chills when I hear it. Just perfect.

Radiohead have been a constant in my life since my sister brought home a copy of the Bends just after it came out, and are my go to band when I want to listen to something. I don't even mind Pablo Honey! Lurgee and Blow Out at the end of the album are probably my stand outs.