Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:58:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

honestly think Radiohead are good

Started by madhair60, September 13, 2021, 10:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 13, 2021, 11:59:25 AM
If tool and radiohead had a battle over who of them made the most deep and complex music of all time, tool would definitely win because of their use of the fibbionacci sequence and carl jung. QED.

Tool are the Darren arronofski of music

Key

Quote from: popcorn on September 17, 2021, 11:35:10 AM

Thom Yorke must have had bad writers block around this time. Somebody on reddit recently discovered half the lyrics of Knives Out were quotes taken from an episode of Silent Witness.

hamfist

Still love them. OK computer was the first record I bought when I moved in to my first flat in Interlaken, no furniture - just a sound system and that one record.

I also still love this : https://youtu.be/-BGFAP6JJrk

willbo

I thought the RHCP with the most recent new guitarist (I know John F is back now, but the one from 5 years or so ago) sounded quirky and interesting. I listened to one of their 80s albums a while back and was surprised at how modern nu-metal and Limp Bizkit ish some of the riffs sounded. I think it was fight like a brave.

suelgi

Quote from: Key on September 17, 2021, 03:23:17 PM
Thom Yorke must have had bad writers block around this time. Somebody on reddit recently discovered half the lyrics of Knives Out were quotes taken from an episode of Silent Witness.

The Burn the Witch video is a total rip off of a Midsummer Murders episode with the Wicker Man stuck on the end. It's all in there: stags heads, maypole's, cider, local government men going missing, weird locals & cults. All the chin stroking over what it could mean, Trump?, Brexit?, social media?...nah Thom just likes his cosy crime drama's.
https://youtu.be/8FlxvyY-qvM
https://youtu.be/yI2oS2hoL0k

willbo

I bought Kid A when it came out, I didn't know much about music at all, and I was mystified. But listening to it now, it just sounds like quite a traditional/generic 70s-90s ambient album to me. And more rocky than I remember. I mean Optimistic has a strummed guitar. I can't really imagine the big Keane/Travis type anthems some fans imagined they'd do if they "returned to rock".

popcorn

I first heard Kid A not long after it came out, when I was a teenager. I didn't really know Radiohead at the time, and I certainly hadn't heard any Warp stuff, but I liked it immediately. I'll never forget hearing The National Anthem for the first time, and thinking "man that bass riff is cool!" and then laughing out loud when the horns came in, I thought it was just so funny.

That's the funny thing about the album - it had a reputation at the time for being obscure and weird and challenging, but it went to number one in the charts, so it can't have been that strange after all. It's really a very accessible set of songs that use textures from outside the rock genre at the time (but nowadays are much more widely spread across alternative rock). It can't have been that odd if it appealed to my tastes at the time, which amounted mainly to Pink Floyd and Daft Punk.

I remember liking Amnesiac first time too, but Pulk/Pull and Like Spinning Plates did baffle me far more than anything on Kid A. But they'd be bookended by beautiful, melodic tracks like Pyramid Song, so it drew you in.

sutin

Quote from: popcorn on September 22, 2021, 11:37:46 AM
That's the funny thing about the album - it had a reputation at the time for being obscure and weird and challenging, but it went to number one in the charts, so it can't have been that strange after all.

They were a hugely popular band critically and commercially when it was released, that's why it went to number one. An album of Thom Yorke farting for 45 minutes would've went to number one in 2000.

popcorn

Quote from: sutin on September 23, 2021, 03:59:10 PM
They were a hugely popular band critically and commercially when it was released, that's why it went to number one. An album of Thom Yorke farting for 45 minutes would've went to number one in 2000.

Not sure about that - plenty of huge acts have produced underperforming albums, and the fact that Kid A has enjoyed lasting critical and fan appreciation indicates they weren't simply benefiting from good odds at the time.

sutin

Quote from: popcorn on September 23, 2021, 04:01:33 PM
Not sure about that - plenty of huge acts have produced underperforming albums, and the fact that Kid A has enjoyed lasting critical and fan appreciation indicates they weren't simply benefiting from good odds at the time.

Come on, that album was never going to underperform at the time, the anticipation was extremely high after OK Computer. Besides Be Here Now it was probably the most anticipated album of the late '90s/early '00s. The music itself was almost irrelevent, it was the follow-up to OK Computer FFS.

popcorn

Quote from: sutin on September 23, 2021, 04:27:50 PM
Come on, that album was never going to underperform at the time, the anticipation was extremely high after OK Computer. Besides Be Here Now it was probably the most anticipated album of the late '90s/early '00s. The music itself was almost irrelevent, it was the follow-up to OK Computer FFS.

Whereas Be Here Now was quickly forgotten (compared to Oasis's earlier stuff) and is now largely seen as a misfire. Kid A is one of the most beloved albums in rock music. However it may have challenged its audience at the time, I think the challenge it presented was short-lived.

edit: but yeah you're right it going to number 1 in the chart probably could have happened either way. I was really just trying to say I don't think the album is really as odd as a lot of people first saw it, I think it had mass appeal.

sutin

I'm only talking about why it was a hit in 2000. I've never even heard it before.

Glennhoddleishavingagoal

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 17, 2021, 12:10:18 PM
Tool are the Darren arronofski of music

And Darren Aronofsky's a tool, so all adds up really...