Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:50:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

I make my own packed lunch because I'm smart and cool and I like the environment and I don't like capitalism. Every single workday for months on end I've been making the exact same sandwich:

2x slices Hovis Seed Sensations bread, vegan spread on both, vegan mayo on one and English mustard on the other
2x Quorn smoky ham style vegan slices
6x slices of cucumber (placed equidistant obviously)
3x leaves of baby gem lettuce

It's a nice sandwich, it's got the watery crunch of the veg, the smoky chew of the vegan ham and the mustard and mayo are the yin and yang of sauce. Nothing massive, nothing fancy, just a decent sarnie. Everything is positioned so you get the same decent amount of filling with every bite and the bread is what I believe to be the best available in almost all shops for under £2.

Anyway my fiancée thinks I'm mental for subjecting myself to the same thing every day and thinks it's weird that I have no issue with it whatsoever. I find joy in repetition and I find joy in food so I just wish the whole world would get off my back.

It seems to me like the tiers of societal acceptability for eating the same thing every day trickle down from breakfast (no issue eating same thing every day, just toast mate what the fuck else you need) to lunch (some people want to have a fuckin sniff at me eating the same thing every day they can fuck off) to dinner (even I think it would be weird to eat the same thing every day for this meal).

THOUGHTS?

kidney

Fucking weird so I'm going to stay on your back thank you very much

Cloud

I have a coro chicken sandwich most days.

Similarly, at the weekend, I always go for the same bottled ales despite the huge selection available

For me there's a time and a place for being "adventurous", like having lunch out or going to a beer festival, but day to day you tend to eventually work out what you like best and stick with that.

The Mollusk

I'm inclined to agree but raisins and chicken? Get to fuck you freak!

Dr Trouser

I've been making my own same lunch for 6 years now, it started as part of trying to lose weight but stayed with it as it costs so little and means I don't have to think about it in the morning prep.

Not for everyone, and my wife too finds it ridiculous, but I love it and it makes me happy so tough.

TrenterPercenter

People don't eat the same thing every day for breakfast and it's probably not weird, but boring and unadventurous, to eat the same thing every day for lunch. Thanks.

idunnosomename

Hovis Seed Sensations always reminds me of "Sweetest Soul Senations" by The Lightning Seeds.

shiftwork2

It's quite interesting how the mind and body react to being presented with the same stuff all the time.  A long time ago I tried to save enough money to go on a big holiday using the genius idea of just eating beans on toast for a year.  This was when the bean wars were going on and a tin could be had for 7p.  I lasted three days.  There's a fairly obvious reason why such a limited gaggle of nutrients is recognised as boring by the mind but this went beyond that and I was unable to eat it again.  And as you said it doesn't seem to apply to breakfast when I seem to be able to do muesli every morning for years.

Cuellar

Any time spent wondering what to cook/eat is time that could be better spent doing literally anything else so good for you.

The Mollusk

Quote from: gib on September 13, 2021, 12:19:17 PM
i'd want some finely chopped red onion in there

Not a bad idea. I chucked some sweetcorn in the other week and it tasted great but it kept falling out all over the gaff so I sacked it off.

robhug

is your life varied, interesting and enjoyable in general to make up for the tedium of eating exactly the same thing at the same point everyday of your tedious lunching life?

ive worked with a chap for 10 years who only eats a ham and cheese sandwich on white at approximately 11.45am everyday. despite him not being the biggest cunt youll meet he is a pretty dreary unhappy looking individual. The idea of him not having it would be a clear indication he's having a mid life crisis.

also, people who eat lunch prior to midday are fuckin' twats (assuming you start about 9)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 13, 2021, 12:22:36 PM
It's quite interesting how the mind and body react to being presented with the same stuff all the time.  A long time ago I tried to save enough money to go on a big holiday using the genius idea of just eating beans on toast for a year.  This was when the bean wars were going on and a tin could be had for 7p.  I lasted three days.  There's a fairly obvious reason why such a limited gaggle of nutrients is recognised as boring by the mind but this went beyond that and I was unable to eat it again.  And as you said it doesn't seem to apply to breakfast when I seem to be able to do muesli every morning for years.

Lots of people in the Middle East eat beans every morning for breakfast it is called Ful.

I suppose breakfast is smaller meal so it's less imposing but still eating the same thing for breakfast everyday is boring; there are lots of different types of cereal, porridge, things to have on your toast there is no need to eat the same thing every morning.

Fr.Bigley

I eat mostly the same thing at work too.

Breakfast consists of two slices of wholemeal toast spread with marmite and peanut butter.

Lunch is two slices of wholemeal bread with baby spinach, cucumber, sliced chicken and mayonnaise embellished with mustard.

It's sad how predictable I am.

Edit: in certain cases I'll have salad nicoise

Dex Sawash

Same thing 99% of work days. Don't enjoy a packed lunch so have sorted through stuff to find something that a microwave doesn't ruin. Break the burger up in a few pieces so it rolls up and double the tortillas to make it more durable and bulk up the volume a bit. Under 10 minutes away from the coal face.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: robhug on September 13, 2021, 12:23:54 PM
ive worked with a chap for 10 years who only eats a ham and cheese sandwich on white at approximately 11.45am everyday. despite him not being the biggest cunt youll meet he is a pretty dreary unhappy looking individual. The idea of him not having it would be a clear indication he's having a mid life crisis.

I've known quite a few "freaky eaters" over the years who for some reason thought their rigid habitual choice of foods were actually interesting - like someone telling you they only drink Carling.  In fact I've just got back from the lakes in which this incredibly annoying posh couple were around the same digs and I heard (presumably the wife or girlfriend) making the poor waitresses life miserable regaling her of the story of how she only drinks one particular brand of decaf team, that they obviously didn't have, just so she could then rudely tut and say I've got some in my bag upstairs.  She then went on to order breakfast  in which she proclaimed again "I'm really weird but I don't like meat with my breakfast" the waitress desperate to get away quickly said "we do a vegetarian breakfast" but no she wanted specifically some type and brand of cheese, some mushroom I'd never heard of (and I know a lot about eating mushrooms) and some brand of vegetarian sausage.  Like a giant snooty child.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 13, 2021, 12:30:16 PM
I eat mostly the same thing at work too.

Breakfast consists of two slices of wholemeal toast spread with marmite and peanut butter.

Lunch is two slices of wholemeal bread with baby spinach, cucumber, sliced chicken and mayonnaise embellished with mustard.

It's sad how predictable I am.

Edit: in certain cases I'll have salad nicoise

Why not have a tuna sandwich and a chicken salad?

touchingcloth

Hey Mollusk you sound like a food dunce cheers.

Norton Canes

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM
I make my own packed lunch because I'm smart and cool and I like the environment and I don't like capitalism. Every single workday for months on end I've been making the exact same sandwich:

2x slices Hovis Seed Sensations bread, vegan spread on both, vegan mayo on one and English mustard on the other
2x Quorn smoky ham style vegan slices
6x slices of cucumber (placed equidistant obviously)
3x leaves of baby gem lettuce

Good sandwich, Hovis Seed Sensations is our sliced loaf of choice, I might make something very similar but I can't digest Quorn, it comes right back up again after about half an hour. 

Dr Rock

Hovis Seed Sensations is the best bread, yeah. Seeds are great.

robhug

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 13, 2021, 12:40:13 PM

Good sandwich, Hovis Seed Sensations is our sliced loaf of choice, I might make something very similar but I can't digest Quorn, it come right back up again after about half an hour.

this post started quite upbeat but the quorn bit was quite sad

Chollis

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kidney on September 13, 2021, 12:16:49 PM
Fucking weird so I'm going to stay on your back thank you very much

Can I join you on his back please?

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Ever watched Shirley Valentine? You're having steak on Thursdays, when you should be having chips and egg.

nugget

During the week, I'll just take a sandwich with cheese, mustard and some kind of vegetarian salami stuff into work most days because it's convenient, tastes OK, and I always have that stuff in the fridge. My priority for lunch (and breakfast) is just to get some reasonably nutritious calories in me with minimal effort, so this is sufficient. Some people don't eat lunch at all, now that's weird.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Butchers Blind

Your fiancée is going to leave you and all you had to do was mix up your lunch a little. Sad.

Captain Z

Unless someone makes it for me I have the same breakfast every day: nothing.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 13, 2021, 12:53:28 PM
Ever watched Shirley Valentine? You're having steak on Thursdays, when you should be having chips and egg.

I thought that was sex for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Norton Canes

Quote from: robhug on September 13, 2021, 12:44:12 PM
this post started quite upbeat but the quorn bit was quite sad

Mycoprotein, innit. Basically processed mould.