Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:51:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Quote from: earl_sleek on September 14, 2021, 01:12:11 PM
As long as you can manage all of him - can't stand to see food wasted.

I'd keep most of him in the freezer and stir him into soups and yoghurts and things.

Cloud

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 01:12:20 PM
It hasn't just got celery in it, I'm not only going to eat celery soup today and I don't meticulously measure the amount of protein I eat per serving. Thanks.

On a serious note; eat what the fuck you like - it's just an opinion, perhaps one that is more thought out and you don't like but I'm not judging you if you want to get on the Huels asap I was just sharing my views on it - they have a much more powerful marketing team behind them than little old me.  Fill your protein boots fella.

Fair enough, I was just questioning the "optimal nutrients" claim since that's the point here, to have a certain predictable ratio of carbs:protein:fat:fibre with zero effort

Anyway to each their own and I'm sure your opinion is far superior :D

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2021, 01:01:05 PM
I thought we weren't meant to eat liquids

Eat as many liquids as you like my friend; I can see now the error of my ways, we must protect the diet industry and not be critical for they truly care about us all. Ahem.

JaDanketies

Re: Huel being convenient or not, my fiancee once got a Nutribullet, which I thought was a waste because we've already got a food processor, but I use it all the time. Breakfast when I commuted used to be a smoothie that included porridge oats and fruit, and it took literally seconds to make. You can even chuck in a hunk of tofu for easy protein; I don't think you're supposed to use bodybuilder powder for nutritional protein unfortunately. Huel would take about 30 seconds to make and Nutribullet + fruit + porridge + tofu + milk + water doesn't take much more than 30 seconds.

I guess the major difference is that the Huel is supposed to be nutritionally-balanced and you really don't know whether whatever the fuck you're eating in any particular day is nutritionally-balanced, even if it does always seem to work out ok. My smoothies didn't taste particularly nice but they didn't make you gag and I don't think Huel markets itself on its flavoursomeness.

Gurke and Hare

Is Huel marketed as a weight loss product? It certainly wasn't when it first emerged, the selling point then was that nerds wouldn't have to stop coding to waste time preparing food.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: icehaven on September 14, 2021, 12:34:00 PM
Huel makes me think of HMP Hewell.

Makes me think of the fat lad from Breaking Bad.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 01:17:36 PM
Fair enough, I was just questioning the "optimal nutrients" claim since that's the point here, to have a certain predictable ratio of carbs:protein:fat:fibre with zero effort

Anyway to each their own and I'm sure your opinion is far superior :D

Ah I think you are probably thinking I'm being critical of you when I'm just talking about Huel really.  I presumed the "optimal nutrients" was something they tout as it sounds like it is in there lexicon not something you were saying.

Apart from a few people with serious dietary related health problems you really don't need to overly worry about these ratios; when dieticians and health professionals say eating a varied diet is healthy it's because there is a lot scope within this; you'll easily get everything you need in your diet without having to resort to supplements etc.  I've come from an eating disorder background so sure I'm quite opinionated in this stuff because I've seen what these businesses (and they are businesses trying to sell people shit) do to people.   

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 14, 2021, 01:33:19 PM
Is Huel marketed as a weight loss product? It certainly wasn't when it first emerged, the selling point then was that nerds wouldn't have to stop coding to waste time preparing food.

No it specifically says it is not a diet drink; it is a meal replacement drink/system-  Then aggressively promotes lots of instagram models talking about how Huel made them lose weight and look great.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 14, 2021, 01:33:19 PM

It's deliberately made to taste bland so that people don't eat it for enjoyment, so I guess unlike diet foods where there's a risk that you might start ramping up the portion sizes and pimping it out with condiments it's supposed to prevent that.

Cloud

Aye fair enough, well as I say, just curious to try it really.  At most it'd be an alternative to the lunchtime sarnie, and if it turned out to be a benefit in some way (be it easier weight loss from a very easy and predictable 400kcals with what may be an optimal macro split - I said nutrients and meant macronutrients - or be it from just being plain, uninteresting and not something I have a desire to wolf down in 30 seconds) then happy days, if not then it's £3 down the drain, assuming the pre-made one is easily found.

If you go on their website and go through the "find the best one for you" thing and pick weight loss, it directs you to Huel Black which is sort of marketed as the weight loss version, with slightly higher protein and lower carbs than their normal version (which itself is quite high protein as far as most meals go, especially a sandwich).  This is something frequently said to be beneficial, even by WW, who lean heavily on the "no fad diets, you should make sustainable lifestyle changes and generally eat less" side but a few years ago adjusted their points system to favour protein over carbs themselves.

It does have a lot of obvious shill advertising, I'll certainly give it that criticism.

Like most things I think it's a matter of whether someone goes into it mindlessly or not.  In terms of weight loss they say themselves it's not a diet drink it just makes calorie and macro control easy.

tookish

Now I think about it (and have been thinking about it all night) I ate (or drank) the same breakfast for half a year in lockdown. A smoothie of a handful of blueberries, handful of raspberries, a few chunks of frozen avocado, half a banana, a glug of apple juice, some oats - or almond butter if I had it in. Occasionally I put some frozen cherries in. I haven't made one for months so I must get on that.

Then in the winter months it was fresh porridge with a blob of blueberry jam in the middle. I get up early in winter to make it for my partners before work (tookish mentions having two partners) but they have to wake me up with a special Porridge Song or I won't make it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 02:03:27 PM
Huel Black

Now this definitely makes me think of the fat lad from Breaking Bad. They must be doing it on purpose.

touchingcloth

I eat pieces of shit like Huel for breakfast, except I eat it at lunch time.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 02:03:27 PM
This is something frequently said to be beneficial, even by WW, who lean heavily on the "no fad diets, you should make sustainable lifestyle changes and generally eat less" side but a few years ago adjusted their points system to favour protein over carbs themselves.

It does have a lot of obvious shill advertising, I'll certainly give it that criticism.

Like most things I think it's a matter of whether someone goes into it mindlessly or not

Sure try it.  It's an absolute no from me I can see the bigger picture here.  It's just Silicon Valley stuff; you haven't got time to eat so we've streamlined eating so you can save time and make us rich.  It is incredibly aggressively marketed that should be reason to think what is going on here; it is selling you a solution you don't need; you do have time and it is directing a focus on efficient eating and all the other psychologically obsessive behaviours promoted by the health industry to get people hooked.  That is what it is about.  When you talk to people with eating disorders or things like bigorexia these people obsess about minutia and "optimisation" they are "going somewhere" by controlling their body; yet they are absolutely controlled by their obsessions and habitual behaviours.  These products play on this; the illusion of organic marketing as psychology ploy in the health industry is very old they've updated the person that looks like you, holding his old baggy waistband trousers out with "real" people on instagram showing you how someone that looks a bit like you could look like them.  It's drivel and mind controlling drivel at that but they know it works.  The whole inconvenience things is another thing they push because it is psychologically appealing; they made a problem "oh no you don't have time to eat" (you do and if you don't you should make time) and funnily enough they've created and monetised a solution to that made up problem.  The marketing it is becoming so ubiquitous that people are literally repeating the embedded advertising virtually word for word like it is real problem, it isn't.

I mean you could believe articles like this;

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/2019/04/ladies-huel-lunch-the-rise-of-meal-replacements-as-a-feminist-act

and take their word for it that it isn't an advertorial rather Huel is actually allowing women to fight the patriarchy (by not having to cook food themselves), I mean the brief mention of the negative physical reactions to Huel and how some peoples teeth end up falling out is a small price to pay for fighting the patriarchy with liquidised oats.  It's all marketing.

Imagine a world in which rather than men doing there fair share of the cooking; children are just given meal replacement drinks that way mummy and daddy can get on with doing all of the things they couldn't do before like.....having dinner with their kids.

touchingcloth

"Ladies Huel lunch" can get in the fucking sea. I'll eat any cunt who thinks that's a good article title.

TrenterPercenter

Some corkers from that article

QuoteIn a world in which women feel social pressure to spend time worrying about planning outfits, putting on makeup, Huel felt like a simple way to gain back time lost to the patriarchal structures.

"Women, generally speaking," argues Amelia, a 26 year-old PhD researcher, "Spend more time mentally and actually doing the work of household preparation." Saving time spent on stereotypically "female household tasks" has been the biggest benefit of switching to meal replacements, she says.

I'm not sure about you but i'm always mentally doing my household preparation......err housework (sure I get the point and agree women do more housework) but what on earth is this idea that "a female household task" is feeding oneself?! It kindof, kindof makes sense if you were feeding other people Huels and saving on that labour but then why spend time with someone that expects you to cook for them all the time; Huel just might be a bit of sticking plaster here.

Then we are just expected to ignore the weight loss instagram marketing that Huel massively engages in to make women feel ashamed of not being vibrant health goddesses.

Can you see the hook; these anxieties you have about planning outfits and putting on makeup,and they are remember! you have to look nice for people! doesn't that make you anxious? I thought so,  perhaps you need to think about your diet a bit more......have you thought of Huel? Don't challenge these ideals for the damaging things they are; just get your time back by quickly drinking your meals sisters!

Quote"I'm a student – effectively a 24/7 occupation – so I don't have the time, budget or mental energy to cook from scratch every day."

I mean I don't think I need to explain this one do I.

JaDanketies

I suppose some people itt have said that dinner / lunch / the one at about noon is a rushed meal for them where they choke down a sandwich at their desks, or that they could replace with Huel. I've seen plenty of people do this at plenty of businesses, even though we got a hour's break. Don't know why they did it. If you get time off in the middle of the day then you should take it.

They might have thought it made them look good to their boss, but I think your boss probably respects you more if you don't let them steal your break times from you. Why would your boss ever consider giving you a pay rise if they know you'll work through your break period to ingratiate yourselves to them? They don't need to do anything to keep you working yourself to the bone for them, they think they've got you trapped. You don't even have the cojones to take the break you're entitled to - you're almost certainly never going to ask them for a pay rise or any other improved working standards.

When I 'managed' people,  I pleaded with them to take their bloody breaks, but they didn't listen. I always took 'em, and I reckon that's at least a factor in why I'm the one telling them what to do. Boss was in the same room half the time and would've noticed if they took a break, and I really do think that this is the reason why they didn't take one. Totally wrong-headed. You gotta make sure your boss knows you think they're a cunt and view them with contempt; that's the way to success in capitalism.

tldr take your lunch break plz

Butchers Blind

Just eat food, you daft cunts. If you're worried about overeating, just eat less food.

Chollis

can you get Huel injections to save even more time?

TrenterPercenter

I wanted to say earlier when this "no time to eat" myth came up but your committing daily time to writing about cum and Twitter shite on an internet forum loosely based on a slightly obscure 90s comedian, you've got fucking time to cook dinner.

This idea everyone is wakeboarding and bungee jumping on their lunch breaks is quite, quite mad.

Buelligan

It's a choice though, isn't it?  People just choosing what they'd prefer to do with their own (often minuscule) private time.

Love the sound of your porridge tooks.  I may just try it someday (the blueberry jam thing).  Used to make the old podge, in the winter I have to get up to light the fire every morning and I used to make myself porridge on that whilst I showered.  My shower is next to the fire for practical reasons, so I can keep an eye.  Quite looking forward to winter now. 

TrenterPercenter

QuoteIt's a choice though, isn't it?  People just choosing what they'd prefer to do with their own (often minuscule) private time.

Buelligan

Heh, because everyone who doesn't do what you think is best with their own lives is Laurence Fox?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 03:16:32 PM
Heh, because everyone who doesn't do what you think is best with their own lives is Laurence Fox?

No people that try to game discussions by falsely making out their liberty is under threat are like Laurence Fox.  People that ignore the social aspects of arguments relating them solely to a matter of individual opinions and belittling social concerns are like Laurence Fox.  People that do this and then conveniently forget these poorly thought out positions of theirs when they are giving their opinions on the multitude of things they think are important are especially like Laurence Fox.

bgmnts

I feel like you have a choice to put makeup on and decide what you want to wear on a night out, but you don't really have a choice to eat. So I'd say using that time to cook nutritious and delicious food is more important.

But as a fat, ugly cunt, I would say that...

Cuellar

The body doesn't actually need food, common misconception.

Cloud

In my case it's not so much "no time, too busy making someone rich" as "better things to do". At home (preparation), lots of things I'd rather be doing.  At work (eating), well, yeah already wolfing down a sandwich at the desk anyway.  Because I'd rather spend the paltry 30 minutes we get, outside having a walk, so just scoff a sandwich while working (just before the actual "lunch" break) :)

Of course, if we weren't doing 4x 9 1/4 hours in order to live and had more free time Monday to Thursday maybe it'd be easier to take an interest in lunch preparation with the extra free time. At least we get a 3 day weekend now. But such is the world in which we live

But yeah I'd absolutely not advocate using something like this (or any form of fast food) to give to kids as some kind of busy busy business-parent.

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 02:28:29 PM
Sure try it.  It's an absolute no from me I can see the bigger picture here.  It's just Silicon Valley stuff; you haven't got time to eat so we've streamlined eating so you can save time and make us rich.  It is incredibly aggressively marketed that should be reason to think what is going on here; it is selling you a solution you don't need; you do have time and it is directing a focus on efficient eating and all the other psychologically obsessive behaviours promoted by the health industry to get people hooked.  That is what it is about.  When you talk to people with eating disorders or things like bigorexia these people obsess about minutia and "optimisation" they are "going somewhere" by controlling their body; yet they are absolutely controlled by their obsessions and habitual behaviours.  These products play on this; the illusion of organic marketing as psychology ploy in the health industry is very old they've updated the person that looks like you, holding his old baggy waistband trousers out with "real" people on instagram showing you how someone that looks a bit like you could look like them.  It's drivel and mind controlling drivel at that but they know it works.  The whole inconvenience things is another thing they push because it is psychologically appealing; they made a problem "oh no you don't have time to eat" (you do and if you don't you should make time) and funnily enough they've created and monetised a solution to that made up problem.  The marketing it is becoming so ubiquitous that people are literally repeating the embedded advertising virtually word for word like it is real problem, it isn't.

I mean you could believe articles like this;

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/2019/04/ladies-huel-lunch-the-rise-of-meal-replacements-as-a-feminist-act

and take their word for it that it isn't an advertorial rather Huel is actually allowing women to fight the patriarchy (by not having to cook food themselves), I mean the brief mention of the negative physical reactions to Huel and how some peoples teeth end up falling out is a small price to pay for fighting the patriarchy with liquidised oats.  It's all marketing.

Imagine a world in which rather than men doing there fair share of the cooking; children are just given meal replacement drinks that way mummy and daddy can get on with doing all of the things they couldn't do before like.....having dinner with their kids.
Bollocks to that. I like proper food. Cooking is an essential life skill, it shouldn't be gendered - both my brother and I were encouraged to cook and bake since we were little and frankly he's a better cook than I am - and I'd much rather eat a nice homemade curry than some bland powdered shite. Even if you're short on time you can just make a sandwich or something.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 03:27:15 PM
No people that try to game discussions by falsely making out their liberty is under threat are like Laurence Fox.  People that ignore the social aspects of arguments relating them solely to a matter of individual opinions and belittling social concerns are like Laurence Fox.  People that do this and then conveniently forget these poorly thought out positions of theirs when they are giving their opinions on the multitude of things they think are important are especially like Laurence Fox.

Try putting Laurence Fox to one side. 

Think about people, adult people, (who may not be Laurence Fox) choosing for themselves whether they want to spend ten minutes or half an hour or whatever time they have of their own, posting about cum or twitter or making themselves a nutritious meal.  Can you see that that decision is a matter of personal choice?   A pretty normal sort of choice to make and to expect to make, for oneself.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on September 14, 2021, 03:30:21 PM
I feel like you have a choice to put makeup on and decide what you want to wear on a night out, but you don't really have a choice to eat. So I'd say using that time to cook nutritious and delicious food is more important.

But as a fat, ugly cunt, I would say that...

It's taking the thread somewhere more interesting than Mollusk's (not even a real freaky-eater) original samey-sandwich punt but I'm not sure if this is true (the makeup, not your uggers claim I don't believe that for a minute).  I think society puts a lot of pressure on women regarding their appearance by overvaluing attractiveness which is often signified by weight; this is carried out overtly and insidiously within a twofold industry one built on creating, sustaining and monetising solutions to female anxieties and one built on creating, sustaining and monetising solutions to male anxieties.  It's because makeup and what you want to wear (what you think other people want you to wear) on a night out are so embedded in patriarchal society that something as essential and natural as eating can be suggested as the thing that needs controlling or changing (and of course monetising) - that is is basis of most of the health & beauty industry and it is pathological in it's use of shame and guilt to shape behaviour.