Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 12:53:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 03:43:32 PM
Think about people

Sorry switched off at this point; sounded like you might be questioning my choice to be critical of Huel and I wouldn't want to think of you as a hypocrite.

btw I think "free speech" is catchier than "personal choice".  Thanks.

Buelligan

OK, pretend I said something else if it makes you feel good.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on September 14, 2021, 03:37:51 PM
Bollocks to that. I like proper food. Cooking is an essential life skill, it shouldn't be gendered - both my brother and I were encouraged to cook and bake since we were little and frankly he's a better cook than I am - and I'd much rather eat a nice homemade curry than some bland powdered shite. Even if you're short on time you can just make a sandwich or something.

But then when would we have the time to do all the "thinking" Buelligan often asks us to do?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 03:53:06 PM
OK, pretend I said something else if it makes you feel good.

Isn't that the whole point of your game? Sorry do you want to start again?

I'll start; you'd like me to stop me criticising the multi-million pound private company Huel because?.... is it because it sounds a bit like Buel?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 03:55:58 PM
Demented.

Load of stuff there about the aggressive marketing of a private company under the premise of selling people a myth that if they are so time poor they should buy liquidised meals rather than consider life shouldn't be treated like a rat race, there is stuff about the underhand use of women and feminism to sell the product, the body worshipping anxiety provoking marketing, journalised adverteering and the fact peoples teeth fall out and they shit themselves amongst other things.

Why not busy yourself with those things rather than some utter fox-grade drivel about "stopping people from making choices" that you literally made up on the fly (in not a dissimilar fashion to one of these shit-milkshakes).

Buelligan

Read your own posts in this thread - posts where you talk about teeth falling out and digestive processes not being able to cope and health risks for people not eating as you think they should, quite freely.  Why is it OK for you to use fear to control the choices others make and then pearl-clutch about big business doing the same?

FWIW, I would avoid a product like Huel even if it were available to me but I can perfectly understand and accept that other people are free to use it. 

I also understand, from my own experience that not having time to cook is a reality for many people, not simply laziness.  And even if it is just laziness, people have a right, as I've already said repeatedly, to choose how they spend their own time.  Waving your judgement at them is not a positive intervention, IMO.

imitationleather

I am extremely lazy and I wouldn't change it for anything to be honest.

robhug

'Huel' sounds like the noise you make when your barfing up the disgusting but nutritious meal substitute

just based on that its a no from me

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:12:09 PM
Read your own posts in this thread - posts where you talk about teeth falling out and digestive processes not being able to cope and health risks for people not eating as you think they should, quite freely.  Why is it OK for you to use fear to control the choices others make and then pearl clutch about big business doing the same?

Eh? The teeth falling out and digestive processes are in the article here;

QuoteEven when people approach Huel positively, not all experiences are positive, and using meal replacements can lead to troubling physical results. A quick glance at the Huel's online discussion forum reveals a horror show of "Huel poops", "farting disasters", and cases of people's teeth falling out after spending weeks and months not chewing.

...but anyway enough of this.  I mean could spend the rest of the day filling this forum with literally thousands of posts you "using fear to control the choices other make and then pearl clutch about big business doing the same" but I think I'd rather spend the time cooking something nice.  Cheers.

AllisonSays

It is a truly terrible name. Is the etymology h(uman)(f)uel - Huel? Just incredibly poor marketing, it looks disgusting on the page with the ue vowel combination, definitely my least favourite possible one, and it has a horrible mouthfeel, it feels like it's coming out the back of your throat. Huel. It almost feels like they want to emphasise rather than play down the dystopic connotations, like there's something horribly appealing about those tiny pods people nap in in Japan or whatever, part of me is attracted to the idea of being hunkered down in my pod unable to move more than two inches in any direction, periodically pressing a big yellow button to have some Huel sprayed immediately into my gaping maw, then pressing a big red button to have the waste sucked out of my ass, big blue button to switch on the telly projected above my head, muscles atrophying into jelly, just watching Kevin McCloud looking slightly forlorn outside an unfinished maisonette 24/7.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: robhug on September 14, 2021, 04:14:00 PM
'Huel' sounds like the noise you make when your barfing up the disgusting but nutritious meal substitute

Yep that is what it makes me think of also but it is a play on "Human Fuel".

It has also been noted by another anti-personal choice food-nazi that it feels like vomiting backwards...

QuoteThere are lumps in the mixture, and I've accidentally made it with room-temperature water. Chugging down the concoction, it strikes me that Huel doesn't just sound like the act of vomiting, it actually feels like doing it backwards.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/may/09/lunch-fatigue-meal-replacement-powder-huel (I'll link the article so Buelligan doesn't get confused again)

dozybugcarrot

Wait, if you don't use your teeth, they fall out?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: dozybugcarrot on September 14, 2021, 04:24:38 PM
Wait, if you don't use your teeth, they fall out?

I wouldn't want to say, I might scare you.

Cuellar

How do you make a shake with room temperature water? Who has the requisite amount of water just sitting about in a room? You get it from the cold tap, surely.

'mmm lovely glass of room temperature water for me please'

Get a GRIP

Cloud

IMV whilst the Huel company is obviously problematic and that aside, it's one of those "anything can be Really Bad if misused" kind of scenarios.  Completely replacing your entire daily intake with liquid food (even wholesome home made soup) would, indeed, make your teeth fall out and give you the squits.  Other bad ideas include eating nothing but chips, replacing sleep with energy drinks on a permanent/long term basis, spending all day every day in a onesie, using an electric scooter on your motorway commute, using a Mac for gaming, etc.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 04:30:34 PM
IMV whilst the Huel company is obviously problematic and that aside, it's one of those "anything can be Really Bad if misused" kind of scenarios.  Completely replacing your entire daily intake with liquid food (even wholesome home made soup) would, indeed, make your teeth fall out and give you the squits.  Other bad ideas include eating nothing but chips, replacing sleep with energy drinks on a permanent/long term basis, spending all day every day in a onesie, using an electric scooter on your motorway commute, using a Mac for gaming, etc.

It's almost as if eating a varied diet might be a good way to go : D

Jasha

I have a Mueller rice cheese stick wagon wheel and banana as a work lunch every day. I could make all of them myself from scratch[nb] maybe not the nana[/nb] but I'm too time poor and too lazy so have fallen for the hype of paying multi million pound corporations to do it for me

Jasha

Quote from: Fr.Bigley on September 14, 2021, 01:02:18 PM
I'm off work for two days so today's lunch was lasagne, today's dinner will likely be a Toby Carvery because midweek roasts are sexy.

You sick bastard, Wednesday is midweek roast day

TrenterPercenter

I tell you what shall I do this for an experiment; I once did something similar for the clinic; a managed form of the keytone diet which removes all carbs from your body and just just prior to you experiencing brain death you begin to create and sustain yourself on keytones made in your liver (I did this under the supervision of trained medical staff in order to get an idea of the psychological effects of malnutrition that occurs in Anorexia - I would absolutely not advise anyone to do this - it is stupid and dangerous - interestingly if supervised and managed well then it has been found to reduce seizures in medically-resistant epileptics). 

I could see how much time I get back (from the patriarchy) and how wonderful it makes me and my abs (you know what they say no one looks at the toothless fireplace whilst they are poking the fire).

Cloud

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 04:32:06 PM
It's almost as if eating a varied diet might be a good way to go : D

Indeed and on that I think we're in a level of agreement (even though it's limited as I think that Huel-or-similar could be acceptable as a personal choice making up part of that as a lunch/brunch 4-5 days a week, followed later in the day by a proper, varied, home cooked, good old fashioned solid meal, which is where our opinions diverge somewhat)

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 04:39:40 PM
Indeed and on that I think we're in a level of agreement (even though it's limited as I think that Huel-or-similar could be acceptable as a personal choice making up part of that as a lunch/brunch 4-5 days a week, followed later in the day by a proper, varied, home cooked, good old fashioned solid meal, which is where our opinions diverge somewhat)

This personal choice thing is a ruse; I am not telling you what to do; I'm pointing out the problems with Huel and the meal replacement movement (Prince might have approved); if you want to stick your head in a bread slicer that is your personal choice, me highlighting the dangers of doing so is not the same as me removing your ability to choose to do it if you so wish.

Huel yourself to the max and totally protein your gums if you like.

Buelligan

You say that.  And yet, and yet, when I mentioned personal choice, you replied by likening me to Laurence Fox.  Oh! how quickly we forget[nb]turmeric, pumpkin seeds, blueberries, broccoli, dark chocolate...[/nb]!

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 03:14:57 PM

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 03:09:42 PM
It's a choice though, isn't it?  People just choosing what they'd prefer to do with their own (often minuscule) private time.

TrenterPercenter

Yes I said before and after your made up interjection that people can do what they like, I then pointed out your shoe-horning of this made up issue into things was fox-grade drivel (as is your new post) and then pointed of even if is was true, which it isn't as I've literally just explained by example of a bread slicer,  you'd be prime culprit for doing it.  Now for some reason you think this is some gotcha when it is literally just me saying the same thing I said to you to Cloud (difference being Cloud is actually being sincere).  Hilarious.

I think you might have gone mad from eating too many croissants.

Buelligan

You're a mental health professional and an eating disorders expert so I'm sure you're better placed than most to pontificate on that (and everything). 

Hope you'll excuse me dismissing your wise words with an enormous croissant-powered fart.  Oh, and another one.

Cloud

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 04:43:41 PM
This personal choice thing is a ruse; I am not telling you what to do; I'm pointing out the problems with Huel and the meal replacement movement (Prince might have approved); if you want to stick your head in a bread slicer that is your personal choice, me highlighting the dangers of doing so is not the same as me removing your ability to choose to do it if you so wish.

Huel yourself to the max and totally protein your gums if you like.

The personal choice comment was not a ruse, it was addressing the wider issues you and others brought up like the notion of giving it to your kids because you're "too busy" to feed them properly, or some kind of dystopian near-future where we're all forced to consume Huel to maximise the time spent at the grindstone of our overlords in one big corporate palisade.

Why must everything be a binary?  I also like booze, which is terrible for you, that doesn't mean the choices are "go completely teetotal and never touch a drop again" vs "drink it all day every day until you're on a hospital bed shitting out of your eyeballs"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 04:58:29 PM
You're a mental health professional and an eating disorders expert so I'm sure you're better placed.

I am, but good to always be mindful of your Dunnings and your Krugers old bean, but thanks anyway. 

You do realise the only person that is sitting in a stinking croissant fart filled room is yourself.  There is definitely some kind of poetic message in that Buelligan; perhaps have a think about it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 05:02:39 PM
Why must everything be a binary?

It isn't and i'm not suggesting it is.  That was the point.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 05:06:10 PM
I am, but good to always be mindful of your Dunnings and your Krugers old bean, but thanks anyway. 

You do realise the only person that is sitting in a stinking croissant fart filled room is yourself.  There is definitely some kind of poetic message in that Buelligan; perhaps have a think about it.

Sometimes a fart is just a fart, sometimes, though, it's a symbol.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 14, 2021, 05:13:19 PM
Sometimes a fart is just a fart

the most intelligent thing you've said thus far. Well done.