Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

When I was in an office I used to buy some packets of chicken, a bag of bagels, and some mayo, have a chicken bagel at about 12, then one at about 3. Every day, without fail. Replenish stocks of chicken bagels and Mayo as necessary. This went on for about 18 months. There was a tesco 2 minutes from the office.

In lockdown I wasn't able to just pop out and buy these things so I've had to cook something, every day, for about 18 months. Hate it. And dinner too. It's getting better now things have opened up a bit, but it's still been a nightmare. I feel like Hugh Laurie in that vox pop bit in A Bit of Fry and Laurie, "Every bit of food we want to eat, WE'VE got to cook it!". It's a disgrace.

Do a big batch cook. Big fucking cauldron of chilli, portioned up and into the freezer, lovely old job. Then you've always a meal to hand if you can't be arsed.

TrenterPercenter

I think what a lot of you are saying is "you don't like cooking" which is fine you don't need to pretend you have such busy lives you don't have time to do it.  Think mooted this revelation right from the start.

Cuellar

Yeah but then you've got buy ingredients and chop things up and just who can be fucked to do that really. Then you've got to defrost it which takes forever (no microwave) and cook rice or something.

No, forget it. Forget the whole thing.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 05:39:08 PM
I think what a lot of you are saying is "you don't like cooking" which is fine you don't need to pretend you have such busy lives you don't have time to do it.  Think mooted this revelation right from the start.

I don't think anyone has ever claimed they were too busy to cook. I certainly never did. I think it's tedious and time spent doing it could be better spent doing anything else but I still do it, because I have to, to stay alive.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 14, 2021, 05:37:40 PM
Do a big batch cook. Big fucking cauldron of chilli, portioned up and into the freezer, lovely old job. Then you've always a meal to hand if you can't be arsed.

Yep; that is what I was getting at with my multi cooking yesterday; I've got another 8 portions of celery soup in the freezer, 4 portions of lasagne, there is already some scotch broth I made (piece of piss), two bits of veggie moussaka from ages ago, loads of dhaal, curry etc...  The advantage additional advantage of bulk buying is you can bulk cook and store so you are creating different meals all the time.

Of course as said you have to be arsed to cook and see it as something that has value; my stepdad "doesn't see the point in cooking" funnily enough he enjoys eating; which basically means my Mum does all the cooking for both of them. He would starve if he tried to pull that shit in my house.

Cuellar

My parents laughed at a guy they worked with who made big pots of chilli then froze portions to eat during the week. I asked them what was wrong with that?? 'Boring' they said. Morons.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2021, 05:39:21 PM
I don't think anyone has ever claimed they were too busy to cook. I certainly never did. I think it's tedious and time spent doing it could be better spent doing anything else but I still do it, because I have to, to stay alive.

Ah sorry to break it to you Cuellar but sometimes you have to do things you don't always enjoy; sometimes you have to handle tedious activities[nb]see previous conversations with Buelligan[/nb]; and sometimes you need to feed yourself to stay alive; so you can carry on wanking and playing Xbox.

Not me though; I love cooking; it's great fun and you get some lovely food at the end of it that you can share with others.

Cuellar

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 05:48:51 PM
Ah sorry to break it to you Cuellar but sometimes you have to do things you don't always enjoy; sometimes you have to handle tedious activities[nb]see previous conversations with Buelligan[/nb]; and sometimes you need feed yourself to stay alive so you can carry on wanking and playing Xbox.

Yeah. I know. That's why I wrote what I wrote, the thing about having to do it and it being annoying and boring.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2021, 05:46:52 PM
My parents laughed at a guy they worked with who made big pots of chilli then froze portions to eat during the week. I asked them what was wrong with that?? 'Boring' they said. Morons.

I do fear for some of you that seem to think making some food is akin to a second job.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cuellar on September 14, 2021, 05:51:15 PM
Yeah. I know. That's why I wrote what I wrote, the thing about having to do it and it being annoying and boring.

"Gonna live when I'm alive I'll eat when I'm dead (mum)"

JaDanketies

I would like you all to know that I made tea and it involved chopping veggies and the whole 15 minute shebang. Stir-fry or fried rice - it was one of the two, I'm not sure, ask Gordon Ramsey. how many Huels does that get me

And I say it took 15 minutes, but when you think about it, I had to buy the ingredients, clean the pans, pay for gas electric and water, earn money, have a career, get vocational skills, etc. So really it took 33 years to make that stir fry with rice thing. Is it any wonder people want Huel

Buelligan might hate me for this (and maybe multiple other things if I'm not already on her ignore list) but we actually pay for cleaners to come and clean the floors every week, like some fucking aristocratic dickheads. I'd rather cook food than clean the floor but I don't see why cooking is necessarily more virtuous than cleaning the floor, and both are things that have got to be done.

TrenterPercenter

Looked up the Huel shite and it is £10 for 2 pre-made drinks; 50 quid for 56 "meals" of the protein shite (which is the inventors background; in muscle powders) and £45 for 24 "meals" for the complete stuff.

Utter load of wank.  Sorry I mean a true food revolution.

Cuellar

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 05:56:45 PM

"Gonna live when I'm alive I'll eat when I'm dead (mum)"

I don't understand this so I'll raise you

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 14, 2021, 05:48:51 PM
Not me though; I love cooking; it's great fun and you get some lovely food at the end of it that you can share with others.

https://youtu.be/32SDOjWgcnI?t=32

Kankurette

It is definitely a case of not being arsed sometimes. When I'm having a bad flare or a big job on I just want something I can bung in the oven.

Icehaven

Well we've got to seven pages with no one stating the obvious: one of the best things about cooking is drinking wine while you're doing it. Keith Floyd 4eva.

chveik

i like lunch but i couldn't eat a whole one!

Cuellar

Quote from: icehaven on September 14, 2021, 07:13:20 PM
Well we've got to seven pages with no one stating the obvious: one of the best things about cooking is drinking wine while you're doing it. Keith Floyd 4eva.

Yes but a better thing is drinking wine without cooking

gib

who the fuck has time to prepare meals and post as much as trenter

thenoise

I used to work in care and food replacement drinks are certainly nothing new. The likes of Huel have taken something made for the elderly and disabled, who are incapable of eating 'proper' food for whatever reasons, and marketed it to 'busy' executives and wannabe executives who are far too busy for any of that chewing nonsense. And sold it at a premium, of course.

Go pick up a crate of Complan from your local home help, its cheaper and probably tastes better. Or learn to cook you lazy sod.

beanheadmcginty

Why has no one questioned the fact that it's CELERY soup? Who the fuck makes that? What's next? Lettuce soup? Parsley soup? Fresh air soup?

chveik

if you spend a lot of time cooking, you may as well do something good

Dex Sawash

thenoise

Celery soup is very nice (and not obscure at all).

Lettuce is surprisingly good in soup too. My Mum used to make a delicious pea and lettuce soup. Use the outer leaves and core that you would otherwise throw away.

Buelligan

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 15, 2021, 12:46:45 AM
Why has no one questioned the fact that it's CELERY soup? Who the fuck makes that?

People with plenty of time and advice, sorry, thenoise's mum.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: gib on September 14, 2021, 10:54:10 PM
who the fuck has time to prepare meals and post as much as trenter

Oh it's much more impressive than that; I work a full-time job and I'm on a full-time PhD course (as I've mentioned of which large part is investigating "how to get shit done"); I manage a team of 8 people, I'm on currently about 4 city wide steering groups and support two other big international RCTs, I care and look after an old man with CKD, play football twice a week, go to the gym twice a week, clean a house daily and find time to cut hedges, lawns all the rest of that stuff and I even sometimes go to the pub with some friends, last week I climbed two mountains in two different countries (beat that!)............and still I somehow manage to find time to cook me and my other half (occasionally others) some nice food most days.

That is how I know it is bullshit when people say they don't have time to do things; they do, they just choose to prioritise other things (as croissant breath says). I explained that the "I've got no time" is a ploy of Huel marketing designed to invoke the same irrational thought in peoples head, you do have time you just can't be arsed or you prioritise other things over cooking.

I've mentioned; I'm really interested to know what it is people prioritise so much of their time on that they see drinking their meals as a worthwhile and good solution.  I've got a mate that likes to play computer games, a lot, he eats takeaway pizzas and drinks massive cans of green shit to facilitate and prioritise this; is that the kind of thing we are talking about?

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 15, 2021, 07:20:10 AM
Oh it's much more impressive than that; I work a full-time job and I'm on a full-time PhD course (as I've mentioned of which large part is investigating "how to get shit done"; I manage a team of 8 people, I'm on currently about 4 city wide steering groups and support two other big international RCTs, I care and look after an old man with CKD, play football twice a week, go to the gym twice a week, clean a house daily and find time to cut hedges, lawns all the rest of that stuff and I even sometimes go to the pub with some friends, last week I climbed two mountains in two different countries (beat that!)............and still I somehow manage to find time to cook me and my other half (occasionally others) some nice food most days.

That is how I know it is bullshit when people say they don't have time to do things; they do, they just choose to prioritise other things (as croissant breath says). I explained that the "I've got no time" is a ploy of Huel marketing designed to invoke the same irrational thought in peoples head, you do have time you just can't be arsed or you prioritise other things over cooking.

I've mentioned; I'm really interested to know what it is people prioritise so much of their time on that it they see drinking their meals as worthwhile good solution.  I've got a mate that likes to play computer games, a lot, he eats takeaway pizzas and drinks massive cans of green shit to facilitate and prioritise this; is that the kind go thing we are talking about?

Told you.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 15, 2021, 12:46:45 AM
Why has no one questioned the fact that it's CELERY soup? Who the fuck makes that? What's next? Lettuce soup? Parsley soup? Fresh air soup?

Celery soup is very common and well known; as is lettuce soup; Parsley soup is also a thing but much less known (for those with a keen eye you might have noticed some fresh parsley and a couple of deep fried sage leaves on the top of my soup).

All very tasty and good; you should give it a go sometime.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2021, 07:20:51 AM
Told you.

Yes I know - I said this before you "told me" hence why you then shoe horning it back into the conversation earned you a picture of your life coach Laurence Fox.