Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,341
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:38:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

touchingcloth

Raspberries are definitely the berry which freezes best, I'd say. Strawberries turn to disgusting mush quite quickly, and blueberries are shite when fresh and are unimproved by freezing.

idunnosomename

Aldi do a rip-off of seed sensations now and it's like 85p for a massive loaf. I actually prefer it

Sherringford Hovis

If yer fry-up man there had swug a disposable carafe of soylent, what would us soft indoor ninnies be photoshopping today? People what work proper hard need proper scran. End of. Simples.

Blue Jam

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 15, 2021, 11:23:47 PM
Raspberries are definitely the berry which freezes best, I'd say. Strawberries turn to disgusting mush quite quickly, and blueberries are shite when fresh and are unimproved by freezing.

Raspberries are best frozen imo. Fresh ones are good for about a day before they just turn to mould and mush. They taste sweeter when frozen too, because cold is a good trick to make something sweeter without adding sugar.

chveik

Ferris

Cherries or blueberries. Trust me on this.

flotemysost

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2021, 11:15:24 PM
Could you not freeze them?  I buy good bread, slice it, bag it into fours and freeze them.  My current favourite is almond and hazlenut bread, just lovely on its own.

I have in the past, though I find it loses something in the defrosting process. I tend not to buy too much bready stuff anyway (even though I love it) as it makes my PCOS flare up if I go overboard; also despite knowing this, I'm not always particularly great at being measured and non-impulsive about eating, especially during the periods of intense boredom during recent circumstances. It sounds stupid but something like a pack of bagels feels easier to regulate in that sense, whereas a loaf of bread is a bit more "how long's a piece of string".

Having said that re: my current flatmates in my previous post, one of them happens to be a shit hot baker and I'll often go in the kitchen to find a fresh sourdough loaf with some sort of interesting flavouring and a "Help yourself :)" note on the side, which is obviously lovely. I do like going to a nice bakery though, and I guess I should be supporting independent places rather than Big Crumb.

touchingcloth

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 15, 2021, 11:43:46 PM
Cherries or blueberries. Trust me on this.

Blueberries are for cunts and the terminally unimaginative, so I'm very unsurprised by this.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 16, 2021, 12:10:16 AM
Blueberries are for cunts and the terminally unimaginative, so I'm very unsurprised by this.

Yeah well your mum likes em lmaooo

Ferris

Quote from: Buelligan on September 15, 2021, 11:15:24 PM
Could you not freeze them?  I buy good bread, slice it, bag it into fours and freeze them.

I second this. I regularly get a dozen at a time from a bagel place near me, slice em and freeze em in a bag and they stay good more or less indefinitely. Toaster set to 4 and you're only ever 2 minutes from bagels.

Cloud

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 15, 2021, 01:46:09 PM
This isn't remotely true I've been talking mainly about Huel you've been talking about yourself

Harsh but fair I suppose. The way I see forums, you throw in your personal perspective on things, which can come across as making things "about yourself"

Anyway let's leave it, Huel is shit okay thanks bye

Kankurette

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 15, 2021, 06:36:03 PM
Could people stop using the word "veggies" please, it's triggering me so hard right now. Either "vegetables" or "veg" are acceptable. Fucking behave.
I hope you remembered to eat your veggies.

Midas

Some cruel and unkind things said in this thread about lovely, wonderful blueberries. :(

Captain Z

I just missed my last 7 meals because I was reading this thread.

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on September 16, 2021, 02:24:33 AM
I just missed my last 7 meals because I was reading this thread.

So you are the same thing[nb]nothing[/nb] 7 times in a row. Who's the weirdo now?

Buelligan

Quote from: Cloud on September 16, 2021, 01:31:03 AM
Harsh but fair I suppose. The way I see forums, you throw in your personal perspective on things, which can come across as making things "about yourself"

You're absolutely correct and there are examples, in this thread of all of us (many of us) speaking about our own experience from our own perspective, do not feel cowed old son.  That is my personal advice from my own experience.

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 15, 2021, 01:46:09 PMThis isn't remotely true I've been talking mainly about Huel you've been talking about yourself

yeah we've all been doing this. I would talk about other people but I don't know what TrenterPercenter is going to eat today

robhug

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 15, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
Frozen berries are ace to keep in stock. I eat muesli with yoghurt for lunch most days, and often bung a handful of frozen berries on. They thaw out enough to not be unpleasant quite quickly even if added straight from the freezer, but my partner decants them into the fridge the day before.

i might give frozen berries a try, the best you can hope for with a lunch is that its not unpleasant imho

Kankurette

Raspberries are best berry. The only bad thing about them is that their seeds get stuck in your teeth.

You can avoid that by simply removing your teeth.

TrenterPercenter

And people wonder why blueberries rarely post on here...

seepage

Had a crab roll [£3] from a seafood stall for lunch twice this week. Reckon I could manage that every day.

buttgammon

I'm hoping to get fitter and am making a few tweaks like replacing toast for breakfast with porridge and berries (a bag of cheap frozen stuff goes a long way) and it's actually perfectly nice. Stir them through at the end and once the heat goes through them, there's not a hint of the icy blocks they were coming out of the freezer. This is something I can have every morning indefinitely, and it'll be some time before I get bored of it.

I have no particular rotation of what I have for lunch or anything but honestly wouldn't mind losing a bit of variety by sticking to one or two things; if anything, it would make things easier, because indecisively walking around the shop struggling to think of lunch stuff is tedious - and not a problem I ever have with finding things for dinner for some reason.

imitationleather

The problem might be that most sandwiches you can buy in shops are pretty crap.

Sebastian Cobb

I more-or-less alternate between daal, refried bean quesadilla, mock duck pancakes and cheese and onion sandwiches.

Have started doing spaghetti with just a bit of garlic, parsley and chilli flakes as well, 'cos it's easy as fuck.

buttgammon

Quote from: imitationleather on September 17, 2021, 04:41:10 PM
The problem might be that most sandwiches you can buy in shops are pretty crap.

This is true, especially since M&S appear to have stopped doing their fancy-ish prawn one.

TrenterPercenter

It's a cumulative process, cooking; you learn new recipes and your ability to create stuff that tastes good with practice.   It's a very worthwhile skill to develop as it saves you money and personally I find cooking very therapeutic and good for me.   I've no interest in cookery programs like Masterchef I've got proper professional cookery books and at one point was thinking about pursuing it as a career (serious graft).

It really doesn't take too much thought or effort for me to throw something together; real simple thing as SC has just alluded to is your pasta oils; garlic, chilli flakes, tomato puree or some sun dried tomatoes chopped up, some chopped up shallot/onion, olives, fresh herbs whatever you like really just cook them in olive oil for a few minutes to flavour it then add your cooked pasta and coat.  Really simple stuff like this is so much cheaper buying sauces or whatnot and tastes great.  You can easily make this and have reheat it for lunch the following day or the day after.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: buttgammon on September 17, 2021, 05:33:41 PM
This is true, especially since M&S appear to have stopped doing their fancy-ish prawn one.

Yep super market sandwiches are crap why bother - tin of tuna, mayo, cucumber, red onion on a French stick much better.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 15, 2021, 03:53:25 PM
I have wondered if there was any link between orthorexia nervosa and the "clean eating" trend of late.

As for the physical effects, I once read that in the 50's or 60's NASA tried to see if it was possible to get around the problem of disposing of solid human waste in space by developing food for astronauts that would be almost entirely absorbed by the body. I gather the results were not pretty or pleasant. Basically, humans evolved to eat solids and need fibre and we aren't supposed to digest every single thing we ingest, and trying to bypass our bodily functions in this way is a no-no. The problems people encounter on a liquid-only diet may be comparable.

Didn't know about the NASA stuff but it makes sense; I think Huel claims it uses insoluble fibre for this purpose but you need to break down the food yourself.

Re: Orthorexia Nervosa absolutely a thing. I used to work with an anthropologist ED expert who had clocked the impact of obsessive health behaviours and eating disorders a long time ago.  There is a lot of confusion about eating disorders with people (and I'm talking academics) making pithy claims because they sound right; it used to really grate on me when I hear people say "it's all about control" yes, ok but control of what they have an excess of control do they; what does this mean and how can it be used to help people.  The most recent one has been that "it is not about food" which is true but misleading; it isn't about food but food and obsessions around food becomes a massive tool in the maintenance of ED. 

EDs generally arise from someone suffering with low self-worth and other psychological vulnerabilities who find a way of managing this.  You can think of ED as a complex coping mechanism (yet at same time incredibly simple coping mechanism (When I stripped my body of all carbs I became very calm; it is quite hard to get emotional because you don't have the sugar inside you to create the energy; it comes of course with lots of negatives effects also) that might be trying to lose weight and fulfil the societies demands of body image or it could be using food and hunger as stimulatory forces.  Orthorexia Nervosa is the same in that it is based on, what I alway thought best described as tributary behaviours, i.e. if I just do x then it will be ok; marketing mirrors these feelings with presenting people with problems (that are not really problems) to which they then sell you a solution; you are not as healthy as this person here who is gorgeous and having a great life but you can be by buying this product.  We've been massively guilty of it in health services; we've added to these obsessive problems by being idealist with peoples behaviour; there is a paradox between shocking someone with something which grabs their attention (you are going die if you do this!!) but becomes an unreasonable demand that causes needless stress and worry or in many cases is just feels too unachievable to be considered.

There is a mirror now I could to think of it with drug policy; fear and shame are never the solutions to behaviour change.

thenoise

Quote from: buttgammon on September 17, 2021, 04:31:54 PM
I'm hoping to get fitter and am making a few tweaks like replacing toast for breakfast with porridge and berries (a bag of cheap frozen stuff goes a long way) and it's actually perfectly nice. Stir them through at the end and once the heat goes through them, there's not a hint of the icy blocks they were coming out of the freezer. This is something I can have every morning indefinitely, and it'll be some time before I get bored of it.

I have no particular rotation of what I have for lunch or anything but honestly wouldn't mind losing a bit of variety by sticking to one or two things; if anything, it would make things easier, because indecisively walking around the shop struggling to think of lunch stuff is tedious - and not a problem I ever have with finding things for dinner for some reason.

I like to add frozen berries at the beginning so the porridge turns a lovely shade of purple. Also chop up a ripe banana and add at the start, dissapears into it and tastes super sweet, counters the tart frozen berries without adding sugar.