Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,486
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:19:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: Inspector Norse on September 13, 2021, 03:19:17 PM
Didn't the man who invented instant noodles claim that he lived to be many many many years old by eating nothing other than instant noodles his whole life?

If I'd invented a food I wanted to flog I'd probably claim I'd lived very well on it too. Wouldn't actually do it though.

Mr Farenheit

Sounds good but you're wasting valuable time. You should make a batch in a production line style each sunday night/monday morning, then freeze them.

Put the frozen sarny in your haversack every morning, by the time lunch comes around it'll have defrosted and you'll have a few minutes extra leisure time each day. You could also keep it next to your phone on the way in to work which will cool it down and preserve battery life.

holyzombiejesus

I work with a woman who eats the same thing every single day, including Christmas day. Weetabix with water for breakfast and a jacket potato for tea. She states she gets no joy whatsoever from food and is happy not to have to put any thought in to it.

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 13, 2021, 04:56:18 PM
I work with a woman who eats the same thing every single day, including Christmas day. Weetabix with water for breakfast and a jacket potato for tea. She states she gets no joy whatsoever from food and is happy not to have to put any thought in to it.

Does she get any joy from scurvy?

What does she have for lunch?

Gurke and Hare

Mollusk, I've got no issue with you having the same lunch every day - no skin off my nose, clearly - but is that all you have? It seems fairly insubstantial.

And are there people who don't shit at work? You know what they say - boss earns a dollar while I earn a dime[nb]I tried to come up with a good British version of this like CaB or Mail Online readers would like, but I couldn't think of a good rhyme for 'florin'[/nb], that's why I go on the company's time.

seepage

My partner thought it very bad form to shit at work, and now they've been reincarnated as an office cleaner.

TrenterPercenter

She states she gets no joy whatsoever from food and is happy not to have to put any thought in to it.

She is just lazy; all this putting "thought into it" is hilarious; like thinking about the possibility of not having a potato everyday for the rest of your life is some kind of Mensa grade ambition.

Cuellar

Can't wait to get stuck into Wiltshire Farm Foods when I'm older.

Fuck it might just start now.

Dex Sawash

Lunchtime!

Doesn't that look tasty.

I use the same 2 paper plates every day too

Buelligan

Is that the famous traditional snickers burrito?

dissolute ocelot

I used to work in an office right on the end of an industrial estate in Livingston, a mile from the nearest shop, and a guy would come round every day selling sandwiches, and being a vegetarian and faced with a limited choice from what was already a small selection of sandwiches (and way too lazy to make my own lunch), it was applewood cheddar on wholemeal every day, plus some days sweet chilli Sensations crisps. For a few weeks another van came with a different type of cheddar, but they gave up quickly. Definitely not the most boring aspect of that job though.

Currently I eat a lot of Ginsters mediterranean vegetable pasties for lunch, but not every day. Between them, hummus, and various veggie sausage rolls, I have 3 possible lunches even if I don't have leftovers.

EDIT: At the job in Livingston a non-vegetarian colleague had egg and cress every day and got quite dejected if he had to have egg and cucumber or something. He was a dick though.

Pranet

I have a boring sandwich every day I am at work. I don't want to have anything I really like at work because in time it will be tainted by work and I'll go off it. So no pickle or nice bits of salad or nicer than normal bread or anything like that.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 13, 2021, 06:38:14 PM
I used to work in an office right on the end of an industrial estate in Livingston

Surely one for the desolation thread.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dex Sawash on September 13, 2021, 05:58:41 PM
Lunchtime!

Doesn't that look tasty.

I use the same 2 paper plates every day too

I can see chunks of your colon among the shit. I'd get that looked at.

TrenterPercenter

I've had shreddies for breakfast, a tuna mayo, cucumber and green pepper sandwich (on wholemeal seed sensation bread as it happens) for lunch, and homemade chicken chow mein for dinner.  Alongside this I put the leftover lasagne, that I made on Sunday, into portions in the freezer to reheat other days and made some celery soup for tomorrow to have with some feta and fresh parsley (I'll freeze the rest for future lunches).

Stop this food beigeness; either eat pretentious home cooked food or PIZZA KEBAB BURGERS that will get you GRAVED with a big fat smile on your face that is the creed I live by food zombies.

flotemysost

I went through a phase of having the same thing for lunch every day in the office, couple of pittas dipped in a tub of hummus (used to be Sainsbury's then I figured out how to make it myself) and a Pink Lady apple to finish.

It was filling, fairly healthy, and at that point I was also working through my lunch breaks quite a lot (because I was working on an intense project and also because my spine is clinically undetectable), so it was quite easy to eat in a dignified/non-messy way (I get hugely self-conscious about eating in front of other people sometimes, convinced I look like a disgusting slob even if it's just like an almond or something).

I find it interesting that the term "vanilla" often gets used in a derogatory way to dismiss something as being boring or pedestrian, but really it just means that's the most popular option (vanilla being the most commonly chosen ice cream flavour, apparently) - doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. I really love food and trying new recipes and restaurants and all that, but there's a particular type of joy in returning to a familiar comfort, ordering a Pad Thai or a Tikka Masala or going for the Lemon & Herb level at Nando's, I'm here for it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: flotemysost on September 13, 2021, 09:21:02 PM
there's a particular type of joy in returning to a familiar comfort

No doubt; I love my go to comforts too but you've got to mix it up a bit.

Icehaven

I don't understand anyone who says they don't want to think about food or spend time on it. I absolutely love thinking about it, preparing it and eating it, it's one of life's great pleasures justified by the fact we all have to eat. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who gets no pleasure from food at all, it'd be like not being able to appreciate music or see colours or something.

Cold Meat Platter

A flatmate of mine a few years ago bought that 'huel' nonsense because he 'didn't want to think about food' (interestingly after seeing it on Dave Gorman's show where Gorman described the users as dead-eyed sociopaths). After a couple of uses he was back to getting takeaways from just eat. Funny how people's image of themselves in their mind doesn't quite match reality.

flotemysost

Quote from: icehaven on September 13, 2021, 10:18:45 PM
I don't understand anyone who says they don't want to think about food or spend time on it. I absolutely love thinking about it, preparing it and eating it, it's one of life's great pleasures justified by the fact we all have to eat. I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who gets no pleasure from food at all, it'd be like not being able to appreciate music or see colours or something.

Yeah, a mate's ex once told me he found buying, preparing and consuming food a waste of effort and if there was a daily pill that gave him all the nourishment he needed, he'd just take that instead. Each to their own I guess, but it baffles me.

One of my fears is getting an illness that means I can't enjoy food properly (well, aside from psychological disorder stuff, which I have experienced) -  I've known a couple of people who had tongue cancer which meant most of their tongue had to be removed and in both cases they really struggled with not being able to enjoy a nice meal in the same way as before. As it happens, the people I know who've suffered loss or changes to their taste thanks to long covid have continued eating as before, though they've said it's still not quite the same, which really saddens me.

Johnboy

I might make the same sandwich two days in a row but no more I think.

JaDanketies

Do you  not think there's some effort involved in food that it'd be nice to avoid, and then guilt involved in the wrong decisions? I might feel more like that because I work from home. Like you need to be chopping fresh veggies, stirring them about, thinking you know what paprika does, spending like 15 minutes fuckin about. Warming a tin and emptying it on toast feels like a sin
Back in them free rice and three curry days it was all 100%

Cloud

Quote from: flotemysost on September 13, 2021, 10:38:03 PM
Yeah, a mate's ex once told me he found buying, preparing and consuming food a waste of effort and if there was a daily pill that gave him all the nourishment he needed, he'd just take that instead.

Seem to recall my mate used to be like that.

Then he discovered Indian restaurants, and the rest, as they say, is history

tookish

I ate the same lunch every day for years (tomato on white, splash of vinegar, and an apple for afters) but people treated me like an absolute specimen so I stopped. Now I almost never have lunch because I hate thinking about what to have. I make two lunches every day (#tookishmentionshavingtwopartners) but canna be arsed to make one for myself.

tookish

Quote from: flotemysost on September 13, 2021, 10:38:03 PM
Yeah, a mate's ex once told me he found buying, preparing and consuming food a waste of effort and if there was a daily pill that gave him all the nourishment he needed, he'd just take that instead. Each to their own I guess, but it baffles me.

One of my fears is getting an illness that means I can't enjoy food properly (well, aside from psychological disorder stuff, which I have experienced) -  I've known a couple of people who had tongue cancer which meant most of their tongue had to be removed and in both cases they really struggled with not being able to enjoy a nice meal in the same way as before. As it happens, the people I know who've suffered loss or changes to their taste thanks to long covid have continued eating as before, though they've said it's still not quite the same, which really saddens me.

The chap who invented Huel invented it because he hates food. Or something like that, anyway. I can't imagine, I fucking love food.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: tookish on September 14, 2021, 02:04:55 AM
I ate the same lunch every day for years (tomato on white, splash of vinegar, and an apple for afters) but people treated me like an absolute specimen so I stopped. Now I almost never have lunch because I hate thinking about what to have. I make two lunches every day (#tookishmentionshavingtwopartners) but canna be arsed to make one for myself.

Please mention shaving two partners.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 13, 2021, 05:12:31 PM
Mollusk, I've got no issue with you having the same lunch every day - no skin off my nose, clearly - but is that all you have? It seems fairly insubstantial.

I feel like the tail end of the fourth page of my thread isn't a great time to admit I do eat other stuff alongside the same sandwich every day, often a bag of crisps and some sort of vegan bar which is often one of those Soreen lunchbox mini loaves. I have been really neglecting fruit lately however and the steroids have really depleted my potassium levels so I need to get back on the bananas.