Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:28:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I eat the same thing for lunch every day

Started by The Mollusk, September 13, 2021, 12:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Polyamory thread?

One thing I am is pretty rigid with timings.  Main lunch at 12:00 on the dot.  1 extra nibble would be had at 11:30, if there's 2 then 11:20 and 11:40.

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 13, 2021, 11:30:09 PM
Do you  not think there's some effort involved in food that it'd be nice to avoid, and then guilt involved in the wrong decisions? I might feel more like that because I work from home. Like you need to be chopping fresh veggies, stirring them about, thinking you know what paprika does, spending like 15 minutes fuckin about. Warming a tin and emptying it on toast feels like a sin
Back in them free rice and three curry days it was all 100%

I spose if I was time poor I might find cooking more of a pain but I'm not so I don't. Cooking the evening meal became the highlight of every day during the first lockdown and I enjoyed (and often still do) making it take as long as possible, so it doesn't feel like an effort at all. I don't think I'd even get all the utensils out and herbs etc. ready in 15 minutes, never mind cook the whole thing.

Buelligan

I think that has a lot to do with it.  When I come in from one job at 16.15, have to cook, eat, maybe rest, change, pack my stuff, wash up and leave to walk to my main work by 18.00, I need to make sure I get enough healthy calories to keep me going as quickly as I can.  I'm sure I'm not the only person in that boat.

Chollis

AllisonSays

I have the same thing for breakfast every weekday (banana, apple, peanut butter on brown bread, black moka coffee) and find the thoughtless repetition comforting, I think. Sometimes we get different types of bread, for a small change.

Cloud

Genuinely temped to try Huel, holy heck is it an expensive commitment though, £45 just to find out if it's any good or not.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 10:20:45 AM
Genuinely temped to try Huel, holy heck is it an expensive commitment though, £45 just to find out if it's any good or not.

There are supermarkets which sell bottles of it made up now - it was either Tesco or Sainsburys that I saw one in - so you could look to one of those to give it a try?

TrenterPercenter

Jesus christ people recommending Huel now.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: icehaven on September 14, 2021, 09:42:41 AM
I spose if I was time poor I might find cooking more of a pain but I'm not so I don't. Cooking the evening meal became the highlight of every day during the first lockdown and I enjoyed (and often still do) making it take as long as possible, so it doesn't feel like an effort at all. I don't think I'd even get all the utensils out and herbs etc. ready in 15 minutes, never mind cook the whole thing.

Being poor makes life a bit more tricky but I'd say my poverty days is where I really learned to appreciate food and make the most out of what I had - hence why I still have a compendium of cheap meal recipes in my head.  When you are poor being cold and hungry is sometimes unavoidable, so to me that means making the most out food when you can get your hands on it.

I also don't get this not having anytime when you are poor; time and boredom are generally the key things that come with being poor, as does apathy, depression and lack of interest in things - hence why spending some of that time on making something nice to eat is a good approach to yourself.  There is also the aspect of being resourceful and feeding others by making something out of nothing (fish and bread anyone) of course this translates as to work for some people but that is the whole point; labour to feed your friends is what life is about (well one in which you care for others).

Cloud

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 14, 2021, 10:31:01 AM
There are supermarkets which sell bottles of it made up now - it was either Tesco or Sainsburys that I saw one in - so you could look to one of those to give it a try?

Ooh, will keep an eye out in Tesco

Worth a shot!  Might help with losing some of this chonk.

Chollis

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 10:48:29 AM
Ooh, will keep an eye out in Tesco

Worth a shot!  Might help with losing some of this chonk.

It's just over priced pureed food akin to vitamin supplements (they just tried to make slimfast shakes edgy so it can appeal to the Instagram generation).  The gimmick is that you buy into the Huel branding and "system" which focuses you on weight loss; in reality you are just reducing your calorie intake (despite them claiming it isn't a diet shake); you can do the same and better with normal food.  Why better? well because pureeing your food makes it much quicker to digest so you'll get hungry quicker than if you were eating the same calories in unpureed food; the huel stuff isn't as sufficiently varied as a normal diet should be and to be honest I see a whole issue re mental health with it all which I won't bore you with but lets just say having worked in an ED clinic for 5 years things like this are prescribed to individuals in circumstances where people have lost the ability to eat "normal" food and keep their calories up; getting people off them again can be problematic and they come with their own issues regarding digestion - no doubt there is some small print somewhere that says "should not be used as a replacement but part of a healthy diet". 

The act of digesting and breaking down foods by the stomach is part of the process of eating; you've got a complex gut ecosystem going on there that has evolved and developed from a child to digest solid food.

TLDR - look at the marketing and consider the dystopian notion of a world drinking glorified baby food because we are all "too busy to eat".

Cloud

On the other hand it's a very easy way to have a very controlled number of calories while still making sure you get the most optimal nutrient breakdown (and even in a vegan friendly way), and it's something you can "graze" on over time to stay not-hungry.  Wouldn't replace evening meals with it, but compared to the daily sandwich usually wolfed down at the desk, I don't see much harm in it.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 11:43:52 AM
On the other hand it's a very easy way to have a very controlled number of calories while still making sure you get the most optimal nutrient breakdown (and even in a vegan friendly way), and it's something you can "graze" on over time to stay not-hungry.  Wouldn't replace evening meals with it, but compared to the daily sandwich usually wolfed down at the desk, I don't see much harm in it.

Sure someone is blitzing a load of oats and berries into a shake for you and massively over-charging you for it.  It isn't the most "optimal nutrient breakdown" that is just marketing jargon and you can "graze" on anything.  I've no idea what the difference is with wolfing down a sandwich or wolfing down a pureed sandwich is but as I've pointed out you are not getting the same as your sandwich, but less calories that have been liquidised, for more money.  I've also got a bit of experience here in these kind of things but that is up to you to leave or take that.

It's no skin of my nose if you want to talk yourself into it but it is just an expensive convenience and sure it's likely to not do you any harm; you could however buy the ingredients (of which you probably wouldn't need half of what is in there to get the nutrients you need) and make it yourself for a fraction of the cost and save yourself £100s even after footing out for the liquidiser.  You wouldn't however have "Huel" on your lunch bottle and be able to advertise yourself as part of the "Hueligan" community.

like all good quackery it's convenient and it's branding is there to rule your mind over reason.  Just my opinion, others are available.

Icehaven

Cloud

Just been reading a previous thread on it (with also posters oddly opinionated about other peoples food sources) and would agree with what's said there - paying for convenience is the whole POINT. Buying the individual ingredients and making it yourself misses that point completely

Not interested in the branding at all, I'd probably cover it up to avoid judgey opinionated people having a go (much as I hide the logo on my ????? Laptop)

touchingcloth

I like the concept of Huel but the taste is a bit bland for me, so I make my own by blending Frosties with cream.

TrenterPercenter

Ok enjoy your overpriced cold soup in a bottle.

Here is some celery soup I made yesterday - took me 30 minutes for about 10 servings and translates to about 20p per serving; full of optimal nutrients.

Cuellar

I thought we weren't meant to eat liquids

Fr.Bigley

I'm off work for two days so today's lunch was lasagne, today's dinner will likely be a Toby Carvery because midweek roasts are sexy.

earl_sleek

I've never been able to understand why people get so exercised over what other people do or don't eat. Meat eaters getting weirdly defensive in the presence of vegetarians is the most widespread, but getting het up about whether some cunt eats the same sandwich every day or if they eat expensive smoothies instead of REAL FOODTM is just as weirdly judgemental.

chveik

Cloud

40g of protein from a celery soup, nice one, enjoy

touchingcloth

Quote from: earl_sleek on September 14, 2021, 01:02:32 PM
I've never been able to understand why people get so exercised over what other people do or don't eat. Meat eaters getting weirdly defensive in the presence of vegetarians is the most widespread, but getting het up about whether some cunt eats the same sandwich every day or if they eat expensive smoothies instead of REAL FOODTM is just as weirdly judgemental.

What about if I started blending and eating your dad?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: earl_sleek on September 14, 2021, 01:02:32 PM

They aren't though are they. Really.

chveik

Cloud

earl_sleek

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 14, 2021, 01:04:24 PM
What about if I started blending and eating your dad?

As long as you can manage all of him - can't stand to see food wasted.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Cloud on September 14, 2021, 01:04:02 PM
40g of protein from a celery soup, nice one, enjoy

It hasn't just got celery in it, I'm not only going to eat celery soup today and I don't meticulously measure the amount of protein I eat per serving. Thanks.

On a serious note; eat what the fuck you like - it's just an opinion, perhaps one that is more thought out and you don't like but I'm not judging you if you want to get on the Huels asap I was just sharing my views on it - they have a much more powerful marketing team behind them than little old me.  Fill your protein boots fella.