Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Faineant

This is terrible news. The most upsetting celebrity death for me in my 38 years. Fuck, did not expect this any time soon.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I mean, this Albert Fish, he was a real jerk.

marquis_de_sad

Don't think I would've heard of him - outside of bit parts in Adam Sandler movies - if it wasn't for this place. Someone else said it upthread, but part of his genius was that he understood that comedy is stupid.

It's easy to do this kind of thing when someone dies, but I wonder how much his religious convictions were influenced by his struggle with cancer all those years. Anyway, RIP to the ol' chunk of coal.

Twit 2

Nowhere Man

Utterly devasted. I probably watch him on average at least every couple of days. I was watching him on YouTube just this morning actually. As someone who has had to go through his own stuff with that fucking illness I have to say how life affirming his work has been getting through it all. Even now as someone who is in a better place, I find myself turning to Norm clips whenever I need a pick me up. I wouldn't hesitate to call him my favourite stand up comedian ever.

RIP TURD

Dusty Substance

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 14, 2021, 11:09:49 PM
Someone else said it upthread, but part of his genius was that he understood that comedy is stupid.

The smartest man in the room, pretending to be the dumbest.

Keebleman

I don't mind so much that Norm has died before his time.  It's the fact that he has died before my time that is so infuriating.  A world without him in it is a gloomy prospect.

AsparagusTrevor

Holy fuck! RIP.

About two weeks ago I fell into a YouTube hole of Norm clips, must've watched for a good few hours just letting one clip play after the next. It was glorious.

Keebleman

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on September 14, 2021, 11:27:59 PM
Holy fuck! RIP.

About two weeks ago I fell into a YouTube hole of Norm clips, must've watched for a good few hours just letting one clip play after the next. It was glorious.

I wonder if he will come to be thought of as a 'YouTube Comedian', in that many fans came to know him through that site, and that his work plays particularly well in that format.

Twit 2

Quote from: Keebleman on September 14, 2021, 11:31:06 PM
I wonder if he will come to be thought of as a 'YouTube Comedian', in that many fans came to know him through that site, and that his work plays particularly well in that format.

Well, he's no Harley Morenstein.

marquis_de_sad

I guess we now know that I'm Not Norm is not Norm.

lankyguy95

Twitter thread from Sean O'Connor https://twitter.com/seanoconnz/status/1437859712305799170

"Norm was not only the funniest comedian to ever live. He was my first comedy hero, he was my first boss, he was my friend. With the exception of my wife, I've probably spent more hours with him than anyone else over the last decade. He taught me everything I know about comedy.

He tried to teach me how to bet the "Don't Pass Line" in craps, but I was too cowardly to enrage every other person at the table. He taught me so much. To me, the loss of Norm is honestly, one of the saddest things I could imagine. I feel like I lost a family member.

Through touring with him for a few years, I got to see him do probably around 120 hours of comedy in my life. Each hour was unique to the experience of the crowd. He was so comfortable crushing, while also taking a childish delight in having a rough set.

I talked to him a month or so ago about opening for him in Las Vegas and restarting Norm MacDonald Live and I'm just in total shock now. I'm thankful for all the time I got to spend with him and the most hilarious stories he shared and also gave to me.

He ended our last phone call with a hilarious joke that I don't feel comfortable sharing. But ultimately, that's how I would want Norm to say goodbye. A perfect joke told just to tell it. RIP Norm MacDonald, the greatest comedian to ever live.

One last thing, on the road he would always force me to go on radio and TV with him. The people never wanted to talk to me. But he always loved saying, "I'm the past of Comedy and Sean is the future of comedy. And let me tell you, the future is bleak."

Also I wish this had been made https://twitter.com/seanoconnz/status/1437895706572836870

"LOL, we once wrote a Mangrate ad about how famed child murderer cannibal Albert Fish would have loved cooking on a ManGrate and they pulled their ads before we ever got to film it. It was so needlessly dark and it fucking ruled."

idunnosomename

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 14, 2021, 09:39:49 PM
genuinely laughed when I saw 98 year old Bob Dole leading the condolences on twitter. what a crazy world. hug your loved ones people.
fucking hell. incredible.

up_the_hampipe

Comedy Central posted his set from the Bob Saget roast including jokes I've not heard before! https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/1437883977696751625

Goldentony

is "through sheer tyranny of will" a quote or did he just conjur it up for the Janice joke

up_the_hampipe

One of Norm's most underappreciated talents was impressions. He could do a brilliant Letterman - the voice, the laugh, the mannerisms, the language ("So I pile the wife and kids into the station wagon...") https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvjqtcHA6oU

Twit 2

Quote from: Goldentony on September 14, 2021, 11:56:09 PM
is "through sheer tyranny of will" a quote or did he just conjur it up for the Janice joke

I think he came up with it.

Mr Banlon

No river long enough doesn't contain a bend

lankyguy95

Egret speaks

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT0eRPNgt85/

"Today I lost my hero. A brother. A teacher. A friend. Today we lost a TRUE artist. An icon. A legend. A genius.

Norm was my favorite comic of all time. He was brilliantly funny. The most original voice in comedy since Sam Kinison. He was infinitely funnier than he was unique and Norm was the most unique comic in decades.

I was constantly astounded by how much work he put into his craft. He was meticulous. He was sharp. He cared about the quality of his work more than anything besides his family. The importance of quality far outweighed the importance of quantity in his eyes.

And how lucky am I for being able to witness that firsthand. To be included. To call him a friend. To make each other laugh hysterically on the way to our podcast recordings, coming up with new bits on the fly.

And how lucky are we to have had Norm. The countless laughs he gave us. And these weren't just laughs. They were special. Hard earned and visceral laughs. Laughs that come from deep in our guts.

We have so many brilliantly hilarious clips of Norm available for us to watch repeatedly on YouTube for eternity. I'm always somewhat surprised to see how young some of Norm's fans are each new year. These kids weren't even born before many of these clips were first broadcast.

But these kids discovered Norm and became obsessed like many of us have over the years. And that is a testament to just how special Norm was. Comedy can easily become dated, but never Norm. It will stand the test of time.

Norm fans feel like we're apart of something special. A community. A cult of sorts. We can share cryptic and fragmented sentences with each other that would be a mystery to anyone else, yet make us laugh harder than any other fully formed jokes of others. A language based on cherished quotes and memories.

I have endless hours of incredible memories of my time spent with Norm. Once I get through the tears and shock, I know I will find solace and comfort in those wonderful moments which I will genuinely cherish for the rest of my days.

Thanks to so many of you who have reached out to me today. It meant so very much to me. RIP Norm. Thanks for my life."

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 15, 2021, 12:02:36 AM
One of Norm's most underappreciated talents was impressions.

Absolutely. He did a great Super Dave.

jobotic

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 14, 2021, 11:51:05 PM
Comedy Central posted his set from the Bob Saget roast including jokes I've not heard before! https://twitter.com/ComedyCentral/status/1437883977696751625

That's just so good. No idea who any of those people are but makes no difference. Yeah, a cauliflower. They want to murder you in a well.

Twit 2

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 15, 2021, 12:18:42 AM
Egret speaks

Lovely obit. I can only imagine how thrilling it must have been to sit in that studio and be the person hearing those jokes for the first time in the flesh. I wonder if Dennis Miller will go for a long outpouring or something pithy, or if he'll be too upset to even write anything at all for a while.

Kelvin

Echo Valley 2-6809

I've never heard of the guy so he can't have been all that good.

mr. logic

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on September 15, 2021, 12:19:22 AM
Absolutely. He did a great Super Dave.

Michael Richards too, and Tarantino.

MortSahlFan

When I first heard of this, I thought of you all, and my thoughts are with you all.

Mr Banlon

His Rodney Dangerfield was spot on as well.

Shaky

Ooof. Just listening to a podcast appearance Norm did with Chris Hardwick in 2016 (I like Norm, but now wishing I'd paid much more attention before natch...) and Norm has mentioned his distaste for comedians talking about specific, real life issues on stage. How he feels it's more courageous and less of a burden to keep really grim stuff from other people. Not sure I agree 100%, but his words obviously carry quite a lot of weight now.

"If I had a specific ailment - and possibly I do, you don't know - I would not talk about it."

mr. logic

Quote from: Shaky on September 15, 2021, 06:46:07 AM
Ooof. Just listening to a podcast appearance Norm did with Chris Hardwick in 2016 (I like Norm, but now wishing I'd paid much more attention before natch...) and Norm has mentioned his distaste for comedians talking about specific, real life issues on stage. How he feels it's more courageous and less of a burden to keep really grim stuff from other people. Not sure I agree 100%, but his words obviously carry quite a lot of weight now.

"If I had a specific ailment - and possibly I do, you don't know - I would not talk about it."

Yeah, didn't he say similar about Nanette? I remember thinking he was making hints about his own circumstances.

fightshatner

Dont post often but it's almost like CM passing.

This is one of my favourites - https://twitter.com/zhamoan/status/1009705287324925952?lang=en

Lazy and tired vs sharp, invective and fucking hilarious.