Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:07:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

One of the few celeb deaths that caused a physical reaction in me. Sorry to use such flowery language. Really shit news.

Have just gone to download NML episodes - I have been subscribed to the podcast for ages but not listened and the eps I had have been archived/deleted. I just get Cannot download file now (on download or stream). Also can't find it on Google podcasts. I can find a set that look like pirated highlights so that will do me for this morning.

Has the original gone?

lankyguy95

Quote from: paruses on September 15, 2021, 08:55:13 AM
One of the few celeb deaths that caused a physical reaction in me. Sorry to use such flowery language. Really shit news.

Have just gone to download NML episodes - I have been subscribed to the podcast for ages but not listened and the eps I had have been archived/deleted. I just get Cannot download file now (on download or stream). Also can't find it on Google podcasts. I can find a set that look like pirated highlights so that will do me for this morning.

Has the original gone?
They were deleted when he got the Netflix show. They're all up here though https://archive.org/details/Norm_Macdonald_Live

Dusty Substance

Quote from: fightshatner on September 15, 2021, 07:35:49 AM
Dont post often but it's almost like CM passing.

This is one of my favourites - https://twitter.com/zhamoan/status/1009705287324925952?lang=en

Lazy and tired vs sharp, invective and fucking hilarious.

"You weren't sentenced for 650 grams of ideas"

Unreal.

poo

derek stitt

A truly fearless comic, made me laugh lots. Sad news.

Twit 2

This is one of my favourites - https://twitter.com/zhamoan/status/1009705287324925952?lang=en

What's the Mr Candyman a reference to? Is it that he was "the tool man" in a show, and tool has been replaced with candy, candy being the coke? Or is candyman just generic prison slang for drug dealer?

Hank Venture

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on September 14, 2021, 10:21:19 PM
I stumbled across this one night, scraping the barrel for Norm content on youtube. It's like a masterclass in silent trolling and mind judo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7QgHs3ZrE

How do they not understand he's fucking with them? "Personally, I think almost everything is over the line" and they just nod along.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 14, 2021, 09:51:11 PMNorm never came across as a shallow, nihilstic provocateur, someone who would just say 'non-PC' things to get an audience onside. On the contrary, he always struck me as someone who primarily wanted to make people laugh while subverting expectations. I get the impression that he was a sensitive, intelligent man who had no truck with bigots, hypocrites, phonies and idiots.

Very well put. For him, comedy and the joke took priority over everything else, which is what separates him from trite edgelord humour, where the primary intent is to shock rather than to cause laughter. The bootleg of a recent show posted in this thread definitely has material that one could deem transphobic, homophobic or ableist, but he's never trying getting the audience onside with his absurd statements, plus the craft and delivery is sublime.

One nice memory I have is showing his Netflix special to my dad, thinking that it would be exactly his kind of comedy, and being right.

Neither the print, electronic or audio version of Based on a True Story seem to be easily available in the UK, well not on Amazon or Audible at least. Is there any legit way to get the audiobook?   

Twit 2

The links to those bootlegs seem to be broken now?

He was so funny that he could say the line "I'm not funny", deadpan, and get a massive laugh:

https://youtu.be/ofXxinOtPiQ

Butchers Blind

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 15, 2021, 10:24:41 AM
Neither the print, electronic or audio version of Based on a True Story seem to be easily available in the UK, well not on Amazon or Audible at least. Is there any legit way to get the audiobook?   

You can get his book on Amazon about £17. Someone did post up a download of the audible version a while back on the Norm thread.

Magnum Valentino

Yeah there's no way to buy the audiobook legally in the UK but PM me and I'll send it to anyone who wants it.

paruses

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 15, 2021, 10:24:41 AM

Is £184 + £18 postage from the US on eBay with 27 bids and 6 days to go. Think that might be classed as a panic buy or the seller is going to be relisting it. As someone who let's things ride until it's too late I had a look for the book on amazon last night and it was £17 paperback. Hardback was about £50.

Plenty of YouTube and the archive to keep me going for now.

Edit: see above rather than reading my post.

buzby

Quote from: Twit 2 on September 15, 2021, 10:21:50 AM
What's the Mr Candyman a reference to? Is it that he was "the tool man" in a show, and tool has been replaced with candy, candy being the coke? Or is candyman just generic prison slang for drug dealer?
Candyman is old slang for a drug dealer (which came from the original street-corner candy sellers). Allen was arrested for trying to smuggle 650g of uncut cocaine through a Florida airport in 1978, and cut a deal to name the dealers he was working for for a reduced sentence. Norm basically made up a prison nickname for Allen and then asked him seriously if they called him that in prison.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

earl_sleek

I got his book for less than £12 from Amazon about a week and a half ago, seems to be out of stock at the moment though.

It seems to be available in the UK for about that price at something called Ergode Books here: https://ergodebooks.com/?route=product/product&product_id=1412655&currency=GBP

Petey Pate

Quote from: earl_sleek on September 15, 2021, 11:01:23 AM
I got his book for less than £12 from Amazon about a week and a half ago, seems to be out of stock at the moment though.

It seems to be available in the UK for about that price at something called Ergode Books here: https://ergodebooks.com/?route=product/product&product_id=1412655&currency=GBP

Looks like that's still being shipped from the US, so the overall cost is roughly double that. I'm assuming that it was never printed in the UK.

Blinder Data

Allen says something like "You're feeling better" and Norm says "We're not supposed to talk about that"...

He was the funniest guy ever. No one else could simply say "9/11" and be so amusing.

RIP

Jock Macabre

Aw fuck off. Pish, this. Stewart Lee next, they come in threes or so my auld gran used to say.

earl_sleek

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 15, 2021, 11:10:50 AM
Looks like that's still being shipped from the US, so the overall cost is roughly double that. I'm assuming that it was never printed in the UK.

It's not US based, the shipping costs say "International shipping (except US)". Might be Canadian, which doesn't help probably.

Keep checking Amazon until they have it back in stock then, I guess. That cost me nothing in shipping, so there definitely have been copies in the UK at some point recently.

tourism

the other day I was thinking how terrible it would be when norm macdonald's cult following would survive norm macdonald. really the worst of both worlds

Scrapey Fish

Norm had such reverence for the old masters, even inviting the likes of Carl Reiner and Larry King on his show, it feels especially wrong that he'll never live to take on that role himself

dandoystevski

Reiner calling Adam Eget "Ed McBoy"[nb]A reference to Ed McMahon, Jonny Carson's sidekick[/nb]during his appearance clearly absolutely delighted Norm (and most of the audience). 

AzureSky

I ordered the £17 paperback from Amazon last night, so there can't have been many left if, they are gone now. I was going to buy it ages ago, but thought it was a little expensive for a paperback, so never did. Should get it today, hopefully.

Enrico Palazzo

Obel

Quote from: dandoystevski on September 15, 2021, 12:09:07 PM
Reiner calling Adam Eget "Ed McBoy"[nb]A reference to Ed McMahon, Jonny Carson's sidekick[/nb]during his appearance clearly absolutely delighted Norm (and most of the audience).

A brilliant joke, so quick. I was amazed by how vital Carl was, considering his age. Unlike that other old guy Norm had on who seemed to have one entire leg in the grave.

spaghetamine

Sean Lock, Trevor Moore and now Norm has been a brutal trifecta of untimely comedian deaths, this year fucking sucks. I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said but Norm's comedy is something I always find myself coming back to when I'm feeling low and it's never failed to lift my spirits. I hope he appreciated how loved he was.