Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:02:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Nothing will ever make his comedy not funny, but it looks like he was a piece of shit first and foremost, so fuck 'im.

QDRPHNC

Rainbow Moses

I love Norm and don't want to jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 'lads' from that early-to-mid 90s SNL crew (and the hangers-on around Sandler) were inappropriate with women.

gotmilk

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2021, 08:53:07 PM
Nothing will ever make his comedy not funny, but it looks like he was a piece of shit first and foremost, so fuck 'im.

Seems a bit rash on the basis of a couple of Tweets. I mean this could go full #JohnGone by the end of the week, but steady on. One would have thought people would have spoken out around the time he defended Louis CK and Rosanne if there was anything to the accusation, but we'll see.

madhair60

up_the_hampipe

I don't think the "why didn't they speak out sooner?" argument really flies anymore.

batwings

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 15, 2021, 08:49:43 PM
I didn't know he was sick.

His gravestone will say I didn't tell you I was ill

Petey Pate

One of those tweets implies that he was drunk at the time, which seems peculiar as Norm frequently stated that he didn't drink alcohol.

I got the impression that he wasn't someone who took any fools and would be upfront about whether he disliked another comedian's act (see this pretty awkward clip from the Jimmy Dore Show where Dore and Stef sing Norm's praises before the other guy on the show reveals his past beef with him) and I suspect this behaviour may have crossed over to being inappropriate and making lewd remarks.

gotmilk

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2021, 09:09:46 PM
believe women

That expression is an important corrective to systemic dismissal of all sexual abuse claims, but it obviously shouldn't be taken literally a hundred percent of the time. Saying that no woman has ever lied or exaggerated is ridiculous.

Indomitable Spirit

Literally every American stand up is an irredeemable piece of shit. Norm was just so insanely funny that it made it easier to overlook his flaws (expressed dodgy as fuck opinions on metoo and abortion multiple times). Anyone doubting these accounts needs their head examined.

Still... the greatest to ever do it.

pigamus

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Petey Pate on September 15, 2021, 09:13:57 PM
One of those tweets implies that he was drunk at the time, which seems peculiar as Norm frequently stated that he didn't drink alcohol.

This actually made me remember he talked about pretending to be drunk so he could "paw at women" and they would see it as playful instead of creepy. I think it was the Russell Brand episode, so it makes sense why he'd feel safe divulging that to a fellow pest.

Quote from: Indomitable Spirit on September 15, 2021, 09:15:53 PM
Literally every American stand up is an irredeemable piece of shit.

I'm sure there's a lot we've yet to hear about the British stand-up scene.

madhair60

Quote from: gotmilk on September 15, 2021, 09:14:14 PM
Saying that no woman has ever lied or exaggerated is ridiculous.

cool well if anyone says this hmu

batwings

Quote from an interview with MacDonald:

(talking about pretending to be drunk)

And I'd do it to get girls! I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever. (In a high-pitched voice🙂 "What are you doing? Haha!" If you're sober, they're like, "Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?" So I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-a-raw-uncensored-819420/

gotmilk

Anyone doubting these accounts needs their head examined.

Blindly believing the accounts is as dumb as blindly defending Norm. Skepticism and reservation of judgement is a good thing.

gotmilk

Quote from: madhair60 on September 15, 2021, 09:18:32 PM
cool well if anyone says this hmu

Basically what you said but whatever

chveik

he was on friendly terms with way too many pieces of shit

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: gotmilk on September 15, 2021, 09:20:04 PM
Blindly believing the accounts is as dumb as blindly defending Norm. Skepticism and reservation of judgement is a good thing.

Don't bother. As far as some people on here are concerned, you might as well be wearing a giant fedora when you say things like that.

Jerzy Bondov

So now my favourite comedian is also my favourite sex pest

madhair60

Ferris

Literally every American stand up is an irredeemable piece of shit. Norm was just so insanely funny that it made it easier to overlook his flaws (expressed dodgy as fuck opinions on metoo and abortion multiple times). Anyone doubting these accounts needs their head examined.

Still... the greatest to ever do it.

Norm was Canadian.

I don't know why that matters, but I've said it now anyway.

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: chveik on September 15, 2021, 09:22:19 PM
he was on friendly terms with way too many pieces of shit

Comedians (like actors, writers, producers and directors) are probably arseholes and pieces of shit in general.

earl_sleek

The worst thing about this is the hypocrisy.

Indomitable Spirit

lazyhour

Quote from: batwings on September 15, 2021, 09:18:52 PM

And I'd do it to get girls! I'd be in a bar and for some reason when you're drunk, girls will put up with it if you try to grope them or whatever. (In a high-pitched voice🙂 "What are you doing? Haha!" If you're sober, they're like, "Hey! Just what do you think you're doing?" So I'd just garble my words. I have used being a drunk to my advantage many times.

The scheming.

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on September 15, 2021, 09:03:45 PM
I love Norm and don't want to jump to conclusions, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the 'lads' from that early-to-mid 90s SNL crew (and the hangers-on around Sandler) were inappropriate with women.
There was a story a few weeks ago about Horatio Sanz grooming a 15 year old girl that involved Jimmy Fallon. Allegedly NBC had it swept under the rug by paying Twitter to suppress it from trending[nb]although for what it's worth, the site that claimed this also said that Jim Morrison faked his death and was secretly Rush Limbaugh, maybe not the most trustworthy source[/nb]. So yeah, we don't know the half of it when it comes to Lorne's boys.

Cuellar

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 15, 2021, 09:18:17 PM
This actually made me remember he talked about pretending to be drunk so he could "paw at women" and they would see it as playful instead of creepy. I think it was the Russell Brand episode, so it makes sense why he'd feel safe divulging that to a fellow pest. 

Quote from: batwings on September 15, 2021, 09:18:52 PM
Quote from an interview with MacDonald:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/norm-macdonald-a-raw-uncensored-819420/

Alright I take it back again - it was obvious

Indomitable Spirit

these witches are just making it up to get their hands on his dollar shave club money

Dusty Substance

Jesus - For a second there I didn't realise it was a face swap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K111ZrY7UE

lankyguy95

Quote from: batwings on September 15, 2021, 09:13:01 PM
His gravestone will say I didn't tell you I was ill
Not really what I meant in this new context.

Been upset for the entirety of the last day and now I'm upset, numb and pissed off and I don't know if I'll bother to get out of bed tomorrow.

If there's a bunch of women saying that was their experience then it's almost certainly true. I can't say I'm shocked about anyone anymore. Does it make him an irredeemable piece of shit? Probably not but it's really disappointing still. People do good things and bad things but mostly neither. He appeared to be very thoughtful and sensitive but that doesn't preclude him or anyone also acting poorly at times. I hope any women involved weren't too badly affected by it.

Oh Norm, I wish you were a deeply closeted gay guy now.