Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:14:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzureSky

Just started reading his fucking book and now this, after the Louis CK foreward!

Cuellar

a peepee tipi

Quote from: Dineen on September 15, 2021, 10:14:02 PM
Just started reading his fucking book and now this, after the Louis CK foreward!
Not to mention the book is also dedicated to Charles Manson (not that one)

Butchers Blind

Jeez, pick your time ladies, a man has just died.

Dusty Substance

It was only a matter of time before these kinds of accusations materialized.

There's already been a number of wildly inaccurate tweets about him today.

https://twitter.com/Serocco3/status/1438015934875242500

Quote"I'm glad Norm Macdonald suffered through cancer for nine years before dying.

He made a career mocking trans people for being raped and killed.

He can fuck right off."

One bad taste joke from 25 years ago is making a career?

https://twitter.com/Nekomouser/status/1437861299312939011

QuoteNorm MacDonald spent a lot of time defending racists, abusers, and even openly spoke about how trans people deserve to die so like, I'm not feeling real bad about this one.

No, he didn't.

Chollis

Keebleman

Aw no.  First John Baskell, now Norm.

Bronzy

He had all the charm of a date rapist.

selectivememory

Oh, Norm :(

I guess I probably shouldn't be that surprised. He'd said a lot of shitty things over the years, and in hindsight, what he said about #metoo a while back looks like a massive red flag. I'd just assumed he was an out of touch old man, didn't occur to me that he might be anticipating some allegations about himself coming out. I don't know what else to say really. This is just depressing.

Rainbow Moses

From a clickbait article with celebrity reactions. Made me laugh really hard for some reason.

Twit 2

Bah. Disappointing, to say the least.

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 15, 2021, 10:01:35 PM
If there's a bunch of women saying that was their experience then it's almost certainly true. I can't say I'm shocked about anyone anymore. Does it make him an irredeemable piece of shit? Probably not but it's really disappointing still. People do good things and bad things but mostly neither. He appeared to be very thoughtful and sensitive but that doesn't preclude him or anyone also acting poorly at times. I hope any women involved weren't too badly affected by it.

Agree with this take.

I've always raved about Norm for his craft rather than his personality. His actual personality is fairly inscrutable, and he gave off vibes of possibly being a twat or difficult to be around. It would have been nice if he was squeaky clean, but oh well. Have to file him in the "separate art from artist" pile.

Echo Valley 2-6809

No accusations yet from women of him taking his cock out or masturbating in front of them while blocking their exit from the room. #DesperateReconciling

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on September 15, 2021, 11:02:18 PM
More evidence he was a sex pest: https://twitter.com/mollyissilly/status/1437854467181977606

Similarly: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/status/1275282484125749248

Quote from: @poetmaybe3 3:45 PM · Jun 22, 2020fun fact, it's COMMON for women in retail to have to "hide in the back" or change their schedules to avoid a creepy man. often these women are teens. Those men are NEVER ARRESTED OR REPRIMANDED. we just consider this normal.

Quote from: @dannyodwyer 5:12 AM · Jun 23, 2020Ugh, I forgot about this. Happened every retail gig I worked. Usually the same guys. One of the lads would tag out the woman being harassed so they could hide in the stockroom. A lot of walking colleagues to bus stops cos it usually happened in the evening when the shop was quiet

Quote from: @LimitedRunJosh 5:20 AM · Jun 23, 2020This happened to my sister in law and the creep was Norm MacDonald. True story.

Ordinarily, I would be a bit more sceptical of allegations like this, but again I'm honestly not surprised given the company he kept (like Spade, who comes across as a real sleazeball on NML, though that may be unfair).

Petey Pate

More evidence he was a sex pest: https://twitter.com/mollyissilly/status/1437854467181977606

Blimey that's grim. She posted about it online back in 2010 as well, so any 'waited until he died' accusations hold no water.

I feel that it'd be easier to still enjoy his comedy more so than, say, the disgraced wankbeast, as his material was hardly as fixated on sex or masturbation, and besides that extract from the Hollywood Reporter interview, I can't think of any 'hiding in plain sight' instances.

chveik

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on September 15, 2021, 11:50:23 PM
Ordinarily, I would be a bit more sceptical of allegations like this, but again I'm honestly not surprised given the company he kept (like Spade, who comes across as a real sleazeball on NML, though that may be unfair).

i tend to stick with the youtube highlights of NML because the chumminess with scumbags like Tyson/Andy Dick or people that gave creepy vibes like the SNL lot made me be a bit uncomfortable. i thought he was wasting his talent with people like that but apparently he belonged to this world. it fucking sucks

Rainbow Moses

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2021, 12:00:21 AM
i tend to stick with the youtube highlights of NML because the chumminess with scumbags like Tyson/Andy Dick or people that gave creepy vibes like the SNL lot made me be a bit uncomfortable. i thought he was wasting his talent with people like that but apparently he belonged to this world. it fucking sucks

I did think something was amiss when one of the first tributes I saw (before the allegations above) was this:

https://twitter.com/jesidawkins/status/1437932502744719371

QuoteHe was one of the funniest men I ever made out with...
boy when he turned his smile my way, what was a girl to do?!?!?
Sure will miss this creep. Broken heart #NormMacdonald

I dunno, maybe I'm overreacting. There's something not quite right when even a person who misses you calls you a creep. I know he was always an odd duck at the best of times, but still... I'm just disappointed. At a time when I was at my lowest, finding him made me feel alive to love and laughter again, and I will always be grateful for that.

Nowhere Man

The fucking state of these last two pages

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Rainbow Moses on September 15, 2021, 11:50:23 PM

Could be a fair characterisation of Spade if Pete Davidson's comments are anything to go by:

QuoteDavid Spade is a disgusting human being, but he is funny... If you're 17 and up, there's a chance David Spade has DMed you. Can you write that?

Kelvin

The guy was a comic genius, but I always factored in him being a twat anyway. I was listening to a recording of him on youtube the other week*, and he came across as very transphobic and generally right wing, without his usual dollop of ambiguity or irony. Finding out he was a sexist piece of shit isn't really a surprise either, based on his long career.

Some bastards are just really, really funny - and he certainly seemed like someone who was mellowing with age and generally becoming more considerate. For me, it's not like Cosby or, to a lesser extent, Louis CK, where they always traded on a nice guy persona which was fundamentally shattered by what they had done.   

*It appeared to be a bootleg recording of some event he had guested at.

GoblinAhFuckScary

deeply depressing all this lol

Ferris

Goldentony

fuckin nooooooooooo not david spade, fuck no no no no why, why god

Ferris

"Don't go spending it on cars or hats - only guns! Literally hundreds of them!"

The mad thing is that's probably a deductible so rather than pay $100k in federal[nb]because Arizona doesn't have a state income tax for some insane reason[/nb] income tax for boring shit like schools and parks he tooled up his local constabulary instead. Oh to be wealthy in the US.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on September 16, 2021, 02:11:56 AM
weird cunt

Sorry to harp on but I know essentially nothing about David Spade. And now I know that, and only that, and the weirdness of that is driving me mad. Did he just show up with his chequebook? What was the story on fox "we want to shoot more people but don't have the hardware to get the job done"? It's so bizarre.

Anyway, this is Norm's thread for his own strange and unpleasant behaviour so I apologize for derailing and will drop it.

perdothegit

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 16, 2021, 01:35:46 AM
David Spade donated $100k to Phoenix Police Department to buy 300 firearms (including 50 AR-15s for use as patrol carbines).

What the fuck david. How does that even come about. Christ.

Rich people make this kind of "spontaneous" donation when the police let them off for something anyone else would go to jail for.

chveik

ah it makes a little more sense

Chedney Honks

Just woke up and seen this news, RIP the funniest guy who ever lived.

lankyguy95

Makes me even more depressed that he's died. Should've had to deal with this himself. Oh well.