Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:26:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Norm MacDonald has died

Started by Ham Bap, September 14, 2021, 07:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty Substance

Lovely story.

I'm 95% certain there was at one point an audio recording on YouTube of Norm's onstage ineraction with the heckler because it sounds very familair.

Twit 2

He probably gave him tips on assaulting women.

Kelvin

Without wanting to sound incredibly crass and ignorant, if Norm had cancer for nine years before he died, why didn't he ever lose his hair to chemotherapy? Was he wearing a wig at times? Was he not being treated?

Turns out you can't ask that without sounding incredibly crass and ignorant.

Echo Valley 2-6809

He may not have been treated with it anyway, but it doesn't always cause total hair loss. It can cause just hair thinning, and you could see bare and thin patches sometimes during Norm Macdonald Live - when he wasn't wearing a baseball cap.

I wonder if that actually worked, enduring a "Savile marathon" of dinners with pricks to offset all the gropings.
I wonder if he's up there right now, goosing the virgin mary with a boyish twinkle in his eye.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Kelvin on September 21, 2021, 04:34:02 PM
Without wanting to sound incredibly crass and ignorant, if Norm had cancer for nine years before he died, why didn't he ever lose his hair to chemotherapy? Was he wearing a wig at times? Was he not being treated?

Turns out you can't ask that without sounding incredibly crass and ignorant.

Not all cancers are treated by chemo. There can be radiotherapy, hormonal therapy, surgery, etc. Some tumors can simply resist chemotherapy.

Chollis

yeah there's no way he was doing chemo with that beautiful barnet

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Chollis on September 21, 2021, 06:30:39 PM
yeah there's no way he was doing chemo with that beautiful barnet

As I said a few posts up, he clearly had thin and bald patches during NML.

Sean Ymphs

Here's an interesting thing that's turned up - a pilot for a game show featuring Norm on the panel, along with Sarah Silverman and Bob Einstein, hosted by Andy Daly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g313QqNJU6M

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on September 21, 2021, 07:03:59 PM
Here's an interesting thing that's turned up - a pilot for a game show featuring Norm on the panel, along with Sarah Silverman and Bob Einstein, hosted by Andy Daly:

Norm in the Kenny Everett traditional troublemaker seat.

Roman Reigns had leukemia and kept his beautiful barnet throughout treatment. He didn't do chemo though, he took tyrosine kinase inhibitors according to Google which has a big list of horrible side effects, but not hair loss.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 16, 2021, 05:38:05 PM
Bob Saget's tribute to him is understandably very raw, especially when he starts talking about texting him a week or two ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYu-7BkNDM

Listening now. Boy, it's a tough one.

Saget's not the most likeable of people but this is well worth a listen.

Surprised to hear they've been friends since 1978.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Sean Ymphs on September 21, 2021, 07:03:59 PM

I enjoyed that, despite some of the editing. Comedy Central could have done well with a newer edgier version of Match Game.

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 21, 2021, 11:23:08 PMListening now. Boy, it's a tough one.

You're telling me! Unholy dynamic range compression algorithm batman!
What's even happening there? Is he rocking back and forth in a grief stricken stupor?

chveik

who's gonna feed them hogs now

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Echo Valley 2-6809 on September 21, 2021, 06:48:42 PM
As I said a few posts up, he clearly had thin and bald patches during NML.
In the Cars & Coffee thing he did with Seinfeld his hair is weird.

DenzilHolles

Quote from: Bronzy on September 14, 2021, 10:50:15 PM
The bit at 5:08 where he subtly pushes his nose up to make it look as stuck up as the other panellist's nose had me in genuine hysterics. It reminded me of a story his (Northern Canadian) brother Neil had wrote about him a few years prior:

RIP, you absolute legend.

That's now become one of my favourite things he's done.

There's a decent video recording of a show in Chicago from a couple of years ago when he says 'retard' about 50 times too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOX0GzfJmrk . I say decent , I mean the audio is reasonably clear. It's all new material I think, and it's great.

And an audio of a DC show from the same year that I'll be listening to next https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVnwIIjFmdw

lankyguy95

His niece posted a nice tribute thread a couple of days ago, alongside some Norm family photos.

https://twitter.com/puddin_and_pie/status/1440384371706392586?s=19

chveik

been relistening to the audiobook, it's fantastic isn't it. i think he could've made a career as a novelist.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 23, 2021, 08:37:40 PM
His niece posted a nice tribute thread a couple of days ago, alongside some Norm family photos.

https://twitter.com/puddin_and_pie/status/1440384371706392586?s=19

Wow, fascinating to see. He was always very very private, so it's almost jarring to see him in family photos. Has he ever talked about his ex-wife? Might be too nosey, but I'd be lying to say I'm not interested to know about the woman who married him when he always prefered being on his own. 

madhair60

I've gone back to Mike Tyson Mysteries, a show I think is hilarious (but very obviously problematic for very obvious reasons). Norm is absolutely hilarious in it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: DenzilHolles on September 23, 2021, 06:45:06 PM
That's now become one of my favourite things he's done.

Same here. It's incredible. I've watched it at least once a day since discovering it via this thread. Then there's the bit when he says "Everything's over the line" before popping a mint in his mouth. And when he very insincerely says how sayng "Down's Syndrome" was a terrible, terrible thing to say.

Bob Saget said on his tribute that at heart Norm was a mischevious child. And that's exactly what his appearance on The View feels like. The misbehaving schoolboy (like Dirty Johnny) being told off in front by four teachers, and he sits there and mimics the stuck up nose of one of the teachers.

Quote from: chveik on September 23, 2021, 09:04:52 PM
been relistening to the audiobook, it's fantastic isn't it. i think he could've made a career as a novelist.

It sure is. A top notch comedy memoir. Beautifully written and extremely funny. 

lankyguy95

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 23, 2021, 10:03:38 PM
Wow, fascinating to see. He was always very very private, so it's almost jarring to see him in family photos. Has he ever talked about his ex-wife? Might be too nosey, but I'd be lying to say I'm not interested to know about the woman who married him when he always prefered being on his own.
I don't remember him doing so. Seems like the kind of territory Howard Stern might have approached with him at some point but I don't recall anything.

I admit I'm interested in the nature of his relationship with Lori Jo Hoekstra. It seems like they had a very tight bond, much more than just a producing partnership, and for over twenty years, but I may well be committing the fallacy of assuming that it was therefore 'more' than friendship.

MrsWarboysLover

I've seen every Norm thing I can find, and from my recollection any time his ex wife gets brought up he just laughs and changes the subject.

chveik

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on September 24, 2021, 02:29:13 AM
I've seen every Norm thing I can find, and from my recollection any time his ex wife gets brought up he just laughs and changes the subject.

in the aforementionned Mike Tyson Mysteries show, the character voiced by Norm is turned into a pigeon by his ex-wife because he cheated on her

Twit 2

So how cancelled is he, then?

One story of him assaulting a woman by groping her during a photo.
One woman calling him "creepy."
Norm himself admitting to acting drunk to get with women (to me, this is almost the worst because it's such a calculated, predatory thing to do).

Have I missed anything? Has there been much else reported? And this is off, Twitter right? None of this reported on websites/newspapers etc? Has it even registered with most fans? Have any celebs or his show biz mates acknowledged it?

Feel like I'm in a weird limbo where I should be taking all this stuff into account more. At the moment it's wall to wall adulation and talk of his genius, what a great bunch of lads he is etc. Are we dealing with a couple of one-off incidents or was this serial? Somehow it seems that just because only a few things have come out, doesn't mean there isn't more that could come out at any time. So I feel like I should be writing him off more: "He's bound to have done all sorts of stuff, just sack him off," not "Groping is bad and a shame, but at least it wasn't Louis CK level."

Sorry if this isn't making sense. It'd just be nice to know the extent of his wrongdoing so I can decide how much to bother with him. I was such an enormous Norm fan and I don't feel comfortable giving him a pass just because I like him. On the other hand, there's no need to lump him in with the worst people if that's not what he was. I dunno, what a mess.

colacentral

Being literally dead, I'd say he's pretty well and truly cancelled.

You know, from life.

colacentral

Has anyone watched "Lisa the Iconoclast" lately?

Bernice

He was a very funny person who did some nice things, some asshole things, was a bit of a misogynist and groped/creeped in excess of one woman. Now he is dead. Those are the facts, I'm not sure what it is you feel you need to do with them?