Author Topic: Norm MacDonald has died  (Read 25138 times)

Re: Norm MacDonald has died
« Reply #511 on: October 13, 2021, 06:17:08 AM »
16 minutes is a long time to remember something you did, I'll admit.

Another swing and a miss.

Asking the question 'what has he done?' isn't the same as questioning the accounts of what he's done.

You understand this but you thought you might as well say it, all the same.

« Reply #512 on: October 13, 2021, 06:27:09 AM »
Now that the dust has settled, I think I can sum up my opinion on Norm like this: I used to watch him and think, “He’s funny, but I wonder if he’s a bit of a cunt;” now I watch him and think, “He’s funny and I know he’s a bit of a cunt.”

I think this plays a sizable part in the lack of reaction - he wasn't a comedian like Louis CK or Bill Cosby where their comedy was based on a stage persona of being a decent guy or a well-meaning liberal or aware and caring when it comes to social issues. A lot of his comedy was based around fucking with other people, so the news that he kept that shit up offstage isn't the kind of shock twist it was with those other guys

« Reply #513 on: October 13, 2021, 07:51:25 AM »
I think this plays a sizable part in the lack of reaction - he wasn't a comedian like Louis CK or Bill Cosby where their comedy was based on a stage persona of being a decent guy or a well-meaning liberal or aware and caring when it comes to social issues. A lot of his comedy was based around fucking with other people, so the news that he kept that shit up offstage isn't the kind of shock twist it was with those other guys

True, but there does also seem to be an issue here of whether sexually harrassing women makes you "a bit" of a cunt or actually rather a lot of a cunt

Twit 2

• Unutterable anguish
« Reply #514 on: October 13, 2021, 09:37:24 AM »
Well, the key word is cunt, which is already a strong word. So the “bit” isn’t letting him off the hook as much as you think. Eg:

Bit of a twit - off colour remarks
Bit of a cunt - groping
Cunt - rapist

But, yeah, why not, let’s go straight to cunt for the groping. Then CK is a monster, Cosby pure evil etc. Just strengthen the terms accordingly.

This is the problem with language. Hopefully, we all agree these things are a spectrum, so then it hinges on how strongly you intend the words you’re using.

However you jiggle it, I think we can all agree that Norm’s conduct to women was  wholly wrong and inexcusable. Whether other comedians have behaved even worse doesn’t change this.

« Reply #515 on: October 13, 2021, 05:38:34 PM »
What you're saying is that the worst part about Cosby is he was a hypocrite.

Twonty Gostelow

• Sent from my bum using Crapatalk
« Reply #516 on: October 13, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
"Death is funny. Not funny-haha like a Woody Allen movie, but funny-strange, like a Woody Allen marriage."

Tags: