Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:12:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Will you have a 3rd ‘booster’ jab?

Started by vanilla.coffee, September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 07, 2021, 11:37:44 PM
That's why only the oldies had it. They pushed to the front of the queue and got a crappy vaccine which should teach them a lesson lmao

Yer a good lad Ferris

steveh

AstraZeneca is a perfectly fine vaccine and if I remember right, early research was showing AZ followed by Pfizer or Moderna will give better longer term protection than just sticking with one.

Research from Israel was published yesterday showing the benefits of a third jab in preventing disease for those over 60 and reducing infection for those who are younger. For over 60s the risk of severe disease was reduced by 19 times and for 16-29s while the number of people with severe disease was too low for meaningful comparison, the risk of infection was reduced by 18 times. Early days still, but may be that like vaccinations for some other diseases doing three jabs for all adults makes sense.

https://twitter.com/celinegounder/status/1446247253191102466

QDRPHNC

I got both AstraZeneca just because it has such a lovely name. Moderna? Dull, utilitarian. Sounds like an off-brand Ikea. Pfizer? With that silent P? Fuck off.

Dex Sawash

Murka has approved mix and match boosters for all the vax suppliers. I got the Johnson & Johnson one, reckon I'll go for one of the other ones.

mippy

I got AZ for both of mine ,(Feb and Apr, just before they stopped giving it out to under 40s) and Pfizer for my booster.

Fambo Number Mive

Will the booster jabs be rolled out to everyone in time? Would really like one.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2021, 02:11:59 PM
I got both AstraZeneca just because it has such a lovely name. Moderna? Dull, utilitarian. Sounds like an off-brand Ikea. Pfizer? With that silent P? Fuck off.

QuoteMonths after emergency use approval, both the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccines were given their full stamp by Health Canada — a stamp that came with new names for the vaccines, as well.

In a tweet Thursday morning, Canada's health agency announced the new names, with Pfizer's vaccine now being known as "Comirnaty," Moderna's jab as "Spikevax" and AstraZeneca's shot would be called "Vaxzevria."

Delighted to have gotten both doses of Spikevax! while you're stuck in the slow lane taking knock-off skin creams ("vaxzevria"? Come on).

olliebean

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on October 23, 2021, 05:49:52 PM
Will the booster jabs be rolled out to everyone in time? Would really like one.

We can hope. I see Johnson was making noise about wanting to reduce the time between the second dose and the booster to 5 months, which is a bit meaningless when they apparently aren't managing to fulfil the demand for them after 6 months.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 23, 2021, 05:57:53 PM
Delighted to have gotten both doses of Spikevax! while you're stuck in the slow lane taking knock-off skin creams ("vaxzevria"? Come on).

All three of them are terrible. It'll always be AstraZeneca to me.

Ferris

"Spikevax" is a fascist punk band or a kids cartoon broadcast exclusively at 5am on Saturday mornings. Either way it's the best of the bunch for me.

QDRPHNC

Comirnaty is the worst. Make think of comorbidity.

Cuellar

Comirnaty sounds like one of the indistinct noises Alan Partridge makes into an intercom to confuse someone into opening the door for him

Rizla

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 08, 2021, 02:11:59 PM
Pfuck off, surely

The Culture Bunker

Got an email about this on Friday - apparently I'm at high risk from complications, which I can only assume is because I'm mildly (as in, it's controlled by medication) epileptic. Not sure what the connection there is, but I'll take the jab, certainly.

timebug

Got the phone call on Wednesday and confirmation by text. I get mine on 30th of this month.

Dr Rock

QDRPHNC

Milo

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on October 24, 2021, 12:13:55 AM
Got an email about this on Friday - apparently I'm at high risk from complications, which I can only assume is because I'm mildly (as in, it's controlled by medication) epileptic. Not sure what the connection there is, but I'll take the jab, certainly.

There was a recent paper about covid19 and some effects on the blood-brain barrier which could be associated with neurological issues like long covid and, in your case, epileptic events. Can't find the bloody thing now though.

Thursday

Question: has anyone had their GP text them about getting a booster. That's how it worked for my 2 doses, I wasn't sure if that would happen here or if the responsibility would be on me to contact them about booking it.

Fambo Number Mive

I'm not eligible for a booster yet, but if it's been 6 months and 1 week since your second jab you can book online if you are over 50 or have certain health conditions:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/book-or-manage-a-booster-dose-of-the-coronavirus-covid-19-vaccine/

olliebean

Are any of the extra vaccination sites and centres that were set up for the main vaccination rollout still in use for the booster jabs, or is it just falling on the GPs and pharmacies that do the flu jab every year?

mothman

My dad's only just got his invite for the booster, having had his second dose in early April, so they're running about 6.5 months. Will see if that holds when my mum gets hers - her second having been late April. My second was early June so if I'm really lucky I'll get it before Christmas!

Are they still not going to be offering a 3rd booster jab to anyone under 50 who hasn't got pre-existing conditions?

I'm 46 and had my 2nd AZ jab in June and would obviously be up for having a 3rd booster, but I got the impression that if you're under 50 with no underlying health issues, two's yer lot mate. 

Is that still the case even given the latest appalling positive figures?

jobotic

My mum hasn't had hers offered yet - she's 74 and had her second jab in April so should be due.

Don't reckon us late forties boys have much of a look in.

Quote from: jobotic on October 28, 2021, 05:01:43 PM
My mum hasn't had hers offered yet - she's 74 and had her second jab in April so should be due.

My parents are both 74 and had their second jabs in April too.  Had their notifications to get the booster yesterday so your mum should get hers shortly I reckon.

jobotic

olliebean

I reckon they'll have to start doing it for everyone once all the under-50s' vaccinations have worn off to a significant extent.

flotemysost

Mine are 71 and 72 and had their Mad Vax: Beyond 'Ronadome a couple of weeks ago, alongside their flu jabs, so as Bleep Cleep Chimney says I'm sure it won't be long for your mum, though I appreciate there's an element of postcode lottery to it.

Quote from: olliebean on October 28, 2021, 06:55:24 PM
I reckon they'll have to start doing it for everyone once all the under-50s' vaccinations have worn off to a significant extent.

Hope so, getting a bit nostalgic for those heady days of obsessively refreshing the NHS page every morning to see if my age had come up.

Ferris

My parents got their boosters at a walk-in clinic today, no appointment. Could be worth looking into, I can ask em for more details if you like.