News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me


Will you have a 3rd ‘booster’ jab?

Started by vanilla.coffee, September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanilla.coffee

Not sure I will. I'm double AZ but had some nasty side effects that I'm still struggling with, it's put me right off having anymore of it injected into me.
I may change my mind but right now I'm in the no more camp.
I'm aged 52 and three quarters.

gib

right now i agree with you but i am willing to be persuaded if a lively thread ensues

mothman

I've yet to see it explained why a third, different jab is a bad idea. Double AZed and apart from a brief fever after the first, been fine. Pfizer me up, I say.

Dex Sawash

I got the J&J one shot. Would be up for a DP


jobotic

Slightly too young but yeah otherwise. Might feel a bit bad that I'm having one that someone in the world who is unvaccinated could be having but not my decision.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: mothman on September 14, 2021, 11:58:11 PM
I've yet to see it explained why a third, different jab is a bad idea. Double AZed and apart from a brief fever after the first, been fine. Pfizer me up, I say.

Trials about mixed vaccines have shown benefits - can't recall anything flagged that was worrying and when the medical I've talked to have been very positive.

Going from memory, but I think The Times said the third shot wouldn't be AZ - but I only read the article quickly.

Related to a third jab, for those with severely weakened immune systems, everything I've read has strongly come out it's essential for them.

Fambo Number Mive

Definitely, although will I be offered one? Am in my thirties.

metaltax

I'll take all the Covid vaccine you've got.

Alberon

Yep, I'll get it. Only had mild side-effects from the first AZ jab. I'm getting my flu shot as well.

olliebean

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 PM
Not sure I will. I'm double AZ but had some nasty side effects that I'm still struggling with, it's put me right off having anymore of it injected into me.
I may change my mind but right now I'm in the no more camp.
I'm aged 52 and three quarters.

They're doing them apparently 6 months after the second jab, which means I won't get the chance anyway until December (and presumably you won't until at least then either as you're younger than me), so I don't reckon it's something I need to decide about yet.

Probably yes, though.

Alberon

More pricks the better, as your mum says.

vanilla.coffee

Quote from: olliebean on September 15, 2021, 09:10:00 AM
They're doing them apparently 6 months after the second jab, which means I won't get the chance anyway until December (and presumably you won't until at least then either as you're younger than me), so I don't reckon it's something I need to decide about yet.

Probably yes, though.

My 2nd AZ was in the middle of May - So I guess it's November onwards I'll be invited for 3rd.


peanutbutter

Early 30s but seeing as I got the first dose in late February I assume I'll be on the list for this third one.

Will take it, can't see much reason not to.

chveik



Ignatius_S

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 15, 2021, 08:04:53 AM
Definitely, although will I be offered one? Am in my thirties.

At the moment, from what I've read, the plan is to offer it for those over 50 or in an at risk group - also it's been mooted that people working in health care should have it too.

steveh

Bunch of data on boosters and the need for them: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1438100712441974786.

Views do still vary quite a bit amongst experts, but consensus seems to be broadly that under 65s with good health probably won't benefit much in protection against serious disease, though it may help a little against transmission by bumping up your antibodies.

Blinder Data

Quote from: vanilla.coffee on September 14, 2021, 10:53:41 PM
Not sure I will. I'm double AZ but had some nasty side effects that I'm still struggling with

I've not heard about long-lasting nasty side effects of the vaccine - do you mind going into more detail?

poo

Wrecked for a good three days after my 1st AZ. Absolutely fucking loved it.

olliebean

According to a SPI-M-O document on the government's website:

QuoteThere is now evidence of waning vaccine effectiveness particularly 140 days after the second dose

So of course our government opts to give the booster dose 180+ days after the second dose.

Cuellar


canadagoose

I suppose I will, but I'm not eligible yet. I imagine the side effects of #1 will happen again, but I'll just stock up on Night Nurse and sleep through them.

Ferris



Drygate

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 15, 2021, 02:42:10 PM
I've not heard about long-lasting nasty side effects of the vaccine - do you mind going into more detail?

There are some vaccine longhauler communities online although it's pretty grim reading.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 15, 2021, 02:42:10 PM
I've not heard about long-lasting nasty side effects of the vaccine - do you mind going into more detail?

The COVID Vaccinated subreddit has a fair few examples: https://www.reddit.com/r/CovidVaccinated/

Some of them you could put down to coincidence and/or paranoia, but a few of my friends have experienced menstrual side effects for a few months and one of my co-workers went to hospital with chest pain and heart palpitations a couple of days after his second dose, which still gets triggered by exercise. All of this is probably rare, but not impossible.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: poo on September 15, 2021, 03:16:10 PM
Wrecked for a good three days after my 1st AZ. Absolutely fucking loved it.

Not sure if you're joking or not, but I got similarly wrecked after the first AZ, and even though the fever was complete and utter shit, I did find a strange kind of pleasure in boiling to death under the blanket, then removing the blanket and feeling as though I had instantly jumped into an ice bath, and repeat.

Answer to the thread title: Yes, please!

bgmnts

Yeah but dont you feel amazing after you've been that ill? Almost life affirming.