Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 07:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mike Patton's not well

Started by sutin, September 15, 2021, 11:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sutin

A load of Faith No More and Mr. Bungle dates cancelled less than 48 hours before the first one. I was trying to explain to my gf last night (who isn't much familiar with MP) that he's almost never sincere in public, so that means he really must be in a bad way. Get well soon Mike!

"Sorry to report that due to mental health reasons, I cannot continue with the currently scheduled Faith No More and Mr. Bungle dates.
I have issues that were exacerbated by the pandemic that are challenging me right now. I don't feel I can give what I should at this point and I am not going to give anything less than 100 percent. I am sorry to our fans and hope to make it up to you soon.
The bands' support me in this decision and we look forward to working through this in a healthy way.
xMP
Impacted dates:
Faith No More
September 16 Maryland Heights, MO Saint Louis Music Park
September 18 Chicago, IL Riot Fest
September 21 Pittsburgh, PA Stage AE
September 22 Newport, KY Ovation Pavilion
September 24  Kansas City, MO  Grinders
September 25 Indianola, IA Knotfest
October 10 Sacramento, CA  Aftershock Festival
October 15 Las Vegas, NV  T-Mobile Arena
October 16 Fresno, CA  Save Mart Center
October 18 Oakland, CA Oakland Arena
October 22 Los Angeles, CA Banc of California Stadium
October 23 Los Angeles, CA Banc of California Stadium
Mr. Bungle
September 17  Chicago, IL  Radius
September 19  Chicago, IL  Riot Fest"

Pauline Walnuts

SteveDave

Should probably stop eating his own poo

DrGreggles

Patton's very private, so it's difficult (and unfair) to speculate on exactly what's been going on.
Good on him for being so honest about his MH though.

Petey Pate

[tag]Anthony Kiedis rubs his hands with glee.[/tag]

Noodle Lizard

Oh man. I don't think Patton's ever cancelled shows for personal reasons, even sickness. He did seem uncharacteristically concerned about COVID and returning to live shows in some of the interviews he's given over the past year ("uncharacteristically" in the sense that he's someone who used to get audience members to spit in his open mouth and drank pee out of their shoes), but I don't know if that's what this is all about. Just a man, after all. Hope he gets well.

Dirty Boy

Yeah, worringly i think this is a first. I'm wondering if it's stress related due to the long gap between live performances and the fact it's only a couple of days before the first FNM shows.

Get well Mike!

Goldentony

the recent Bungle stuff is enough to do that to anyone

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 15, 2021, 07:50:07 PM
Yeah, worringly i think this is a first. I'm wondering if it's stress related due to the long gap between live performances and the fact it's only a couple of days before the first FNM shows.

Get well Mike!

It's easy to imagine someone as notoriously active and "workaholic" as Patton being massively thrown off by the sudden, forced halt of the pandemic - especially with all the shifting uncertainty surrounding when things will be able to resume. So little is known about his personal life, though (which is a "good thing" according to Buzz Osborne), that it's hard (and probably stupid) to make any assumptions either way.

Twit 2

Played "Carry Stress in the Jaw" to a friend with very mainstream tastes the other day. He hated it and asked me to turn it off, and that made me happy.

chveik

Quote from: Goldentony on September 15, 2021, 07:52:15 PM
the recent Bungle stuff is enough to do that to anyone

quite

get well soon buddy

PlanktonSideburns

Get well soon and do some proper bungle stuff

chveik

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 15, 2021, 10:43:59 PM
do some proper bungle stuff

no. let trey do his thing, patton is finished when it comes to make good music

Shaky

Quote from: chveik on September 15, 2021, 10:59:43 PM
no. let trey do his thing, patton is finished when it comes to make good music

That's unfair, I think. His vocal stylings have been running on fumes for a while now but he's got plenty to offer soundtrack wise. I'd like to see Fantomas resurrected as well. Wouldn't honestly say no to new FNM either.

Tomahawk can go to bed now though, please.

chveik

i'd love him to prove me wrong but Mondo Cane is his last worthwile project and it was made ten years ago. the bungle reformation pisses me off, such a waste of time

Shaky

True, and they're milking the shit out of it too. The re-recorded demo has grown on me a little but I've got zero interest in them doing anything else with that lineup..

Trey's sitting on a mountain of unreleased Secret Chiefs stuff, apparently. Would love to see some of that get out. The world needs a UR album.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Shaky on September 16, 2021, 04:59:23 AM
Trey's sitting on a mountain of unreleased Secret Chiefs stuff, apparently. Would love to see some of that get out. The world needs a UR album.

Didn't the Bungle reunion happen after Patton and Dunn worked with Trey on Secret Chiefs stuff?
That must have been after Malkhut and pre-pandemic.

Shaky

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 16, 2021, 08:01:32 AM
Didn't the Bungle reunion happen after Patton and Dunn worked with Trey on Secret Chiefs stuff?
That must have been after Malkhut and pre-pandemic.

Not sure, but it wouldn't surprise me.

sutin

Quote from: Shaky on September 16, 2021, 04:59:23 AM
True, and they're milking the shit out of it too. The re-recorded demo has grown on me a little but I've got zero interest in them doing anything else with that line up...

I know what you mean. I like the record and i'm glad they did it, but it should have just been treated like the minor side project that it is.

Glebe

This is a bit of a shock to hear, he's always seemed to take things in his stride and come across as decidedly non-angsty. Noodle Lizard made the good point about being forced to stay home as a notorious workaholic, goes to show the psychological effect this bloody pandemic has had on everyone. Get well soon Mike in any case.

Big Sick Ugly Jim Martin should have quarantined.

Noodle Lizard

They've cancelled all dates scheduled thru July of next year. Something's clearly quite wrong. It'd be incredibly surprising if it was something as routine as drug/alcohol addiction, since he's famously not been one for either, but that also makes it all the more ominous.

It's such a miserable thing to hear, but I hope he can get whatever help he needs.

Glebe

Shit yeah hope he's gonna be okay.

SweetPomPom

He's been quiet a long while now and they're cancelling a long way out when they said they wouldn't be doing that.
Gotta feel for him, not being able to see getting back to normal for the forseeable future.

Shaky

Gutted but not hugely surprised the Feb FNM dates in Aus are off, but obviously Patton's health is much more important (assuming that is the reason for the cancellation).

Enzo

The poor fucker has been suffering from Agoraphobia (very understandable post-lockdowns, wasn't far off that myself)

Quote"It was a little bit of everything. But mostly, in my experience, it was mostly mental. I saw some therapists and all that stuff, which is the first time I ever had to do that in my life. And they basically diagnosed me as having agoraphobia; like, I was afraid of people."

He added, "I got freaked out by being around people. And maybe that was because I spent two years basically indoors during COVID. I don't know. Maybe it reinforced feelings that I already had. But just knowing about it, talking about it, really helped. And we'll see how it goes in December."

Patton went on to say that he started to realize he had a problem "right around the time that Faith No More was about to go back on the road." He revealed, "That's when I kind of lost it, and it was ugly and not cool. A few days before we were supposed to go on the road. I told the guys, 'Hey man, I don't think I can do it.' Somehow my confidence was broken down. I didn't want to be in front of people, which is weird because I spent half of my life doing that."

https://consequence.net/2022/07/mike-patton-opens-up-mental-health/

Great to see he's getting back on stage soon with Mr Bungle.

Noodle Lizard

Here's the longer interview with Rolling Stone, where he opens up a little more. Seems like he's in AA as well, so it may have gone a little deeper than just the agoraphobia. Really sad to hear that it seems to have caused a rift between him and the other FNM members too, but at least he's on the mend.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/mike-patton-dead-cross-interview-1383440/

The Mollusk

He needs to take a leaf from his own book and GET OUT RIIIGHT NOOOWWWW

Honestly though this is awful, bless him for opening up about it. I developed a big old whack of social/general anxiety from being couped up through the pandemic so can relate to some extent.

Glebe

Interesting, cheers for posting that.

Shaky

Sounds like he's not been in touch with the FNM lads, which chimes with a Reddit comment I saw where someone had spoken to Roddy after a Man on Man gig and the latter said Patton hadn't returned his phonecalls.

Selfishly, I hope they've got another tour in them.