Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:28:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sir Clive’s In There (that coffin)

Started by Huxleys Babkins, September 16, 2021, 06:50:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
81 years old. The Spectrum had a shit keyboard, the C5 was a joke, but he did invent the pocket calculator, so that's something, I guess.

RIP you bald bastard.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 16, 2021, 06:50:33 PM
but he did invent the pocket calculator

Wiki gives a date of 1974, but I have an Anita 841 from 1973.

But regardless of that, RIP crazy inventor dude.

QDRPHNC

Glebe

Aw no, Rest in Peace Sir Clive, and thank you wasting my youth with the Speccy.

beanheadmcginty

jamiefairlie

His rampack wobbled one time too many 😟

touchingcloth

He's looking a bit dead there for me, Clive.

(Am I doing it right?)

shiftwork2

I was once at a talk he gave, something a bit off.

(c) 1982 Sinclair Research

kalowski

Norton Canes

katzenjammer

Gone to the great r: tape loading error in the sky

The Culture Bunker

He'll always be Uncle Clive to me, thanks to Your Sinclair. Speccy 48k was my first entry into computer games, followed by the 128k +2. Can't help but wonder if I'd taken the trouble as a six year old to read the manual about BASIC programming whether I'd be a rich man by now. The answer to which is, of course, "no, you daft tit".

Rizla

10 input a$
20 print "what is your name"
30 if a$ = "sir clive sinclair" then new
40 else print a$ " is a nob";
50 goto 40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u9ZyV-BHFA

kalowski

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 07:35:46 PM
Speccy 48k was my first entry into computer games, followed by the 128k +2.
Blimey, listen to Little Lord Fauntleroy here.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Never acknowledged these guys after pinching their C5 idea  https://streamable.com/0ozok7

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: kalowski on September 16, 2021, 07:40:19 PM
Blimey, listen to Little Lord Fauntleroy here.
You think I was posh, my best mate back then had a +3!

I did see someone with a C5 a couple of weeks back, at Southport pier of all places.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

I know Southampton didn't go well but you can't say fairer than a Rugby World Cup

QDRPHNC

I had a 128k+ mint in box. Pretty sure mum put it in the bin.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 07:35:46 PM
He'll always be Uncle Clive to me, thanks to Your Sinclair. Speccy 48k was my first entry into computer games, followed by the 128k +2. Can't help but wonder if I'd taken the trouble as a six year old to read the manual about BASIC programming whether I'd be a rich man by now. The answer to which is, of course, "no, you daft tit".

I had the same thought, although I came to the opposite conclusion. Well, not rich, but better off than I am. And in an industry that's only doing better in this fucking pandemic.

Anyway.

My first computer was a +2 Speccy, and I bloody loved it. So many hours spent shooting, punching and puzzle-solving my way through garishly coloured mazes and landscapes. The colour-clash was a bastard, but I'd take its lovingly detailed sprites over lumpen pink-grey-brown Lego blobs on the C64 any day. And falling in love with Your Sinclair absolutely shaped my future career as a poorly paid journalist. So it wasn't all good.

Cheers anyway, Uncle Clive.

Mister Six

Just remembered this, 14 years after I first saw it in a b3ta newsletter...

https://youtu.be/Ts96J7HhO28

Tune.

Pranet

Sometimes when I want to relax I watch an episode of the ZX Spectrum Show on youtube.

You can buy bits and bobs to do things like make your Spectrum work on a modern tv or  converting a microdrive casing to a thing that loads games using a memory card and stuff like that.

I can't be arsed with that but sort of glad there are people out there doing it.

And I've tried a few of the modern games people put on for emulators and they can be pretty good actually.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Mister Six on September 16, 2021, 07:53:14 PM
I had the same thought, although I came to the opposite conclusion. Well, not rich, but better off than I am. And in an industry that's only doing better in this fucking pandemic.
Because you're surely less of a bone-idle wanker than I.

I was trying to remember the 128k +2 games package that was thrown in. I think it was two compilations:

Screen Heroes: Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, Daley Thompson's Supertest, Highlander, Rambo and Frankie Goes to Hollywood*

Coin-Op Classics: Green Beret, Hyper Sports, Ping-Pong, Yie-Ar Kung Fu

* this game made no sense to me, with added factors that I was a six/seven year old playing it some years after Holly and the lads had been hip. All I knew was the words 'relax, just do it, pick your nose and chew it'.

Mobbd

"Re: Sir Clive's In There (that coffin)." Heh. Laughing at the news of someone's death is the best way to remember them.

Here's Digitiser 2000's The Ballad of Sir Clive Sinclair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVnv1tVmmjk

kalowski

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 07:42:31 PM
You think I was posh, my best mate back then had a +3!

I did see someone with a C5 a couple of weeks back, at Southport pier of all places.
See, I was from the rough side of the tracks. I had a Spectrum 16k which I improved with the Cheetah 32k ram pack.

Pranet

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 08:04:34 PM

Coin-Op Classics: Green Beret, Hyper Spots, Ping-Pong, Yie-Ar Kung Fu

Think Coin Op Classics had Mikie on it as well. One of the all time great compilations that was.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Pranet on September 16, 2021, 08:08:58 PM
Think Coin Op Classics had Mikie on it as well. One of the all time great compilations that was.
I've no doubt you're right, but I have zero memory of that game. I think the Screen Heroes tapes (Ocean release, if I'm right) was more to my tastes - esp Daley Thompson and Rambo.

Now that I think a bit harder, I think another set of games must have been thrown into the mix as I can remember playing Barbarian and seeing that weird turtle type bod kicking away the decapitated head of your vanquished foe.

Zetetic

There's something I really despise about early '80s home computing and the scum who were involved in promoting it. Lacking the charming dedicated enthusiasm and commitment of self-built microcomputer kits of the late '70s, without having yet reached the point of being semi-intuitive semi-transparent tools and toys as they did by the end of the decade.

Well, either he's paid for his doings at this point or he never will - so I should probably let go and leave his crimes in the past.

Pranet

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 08:11:08 PM
I've no doubt you're right, but I have zero memory of that game. I think the Screen Heroes tapes (Ocean release, if I'm right) was more to my tastes - esp Daley Thompson and Rambo.

Loved Mikie. Occasionally still fire up an emulator and play it.

Your are right both compilations were Ocean- Konami Coin Op hits was put out under Imagine but by that point it was just a label Ocean used for some releases, having bought it when the original company collapsed.

Mister Six

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 16, 2021, 08:04:34 PM
Screen Heroes: Miami Vice, Knight Rider, Street Hawk, Daley Thompson's Supertest, Highlander, Rambo and Frankie Goes to Hollywood*

Coin-Op Classics: Green Beret, Hyper Sports, Ping-Pong, Yie-Ar Kung Fu

Nice. Mine came with the Light Gun Action Pack:

Operation Wolf
Probably technically impressive, but I was absolutely shit at it. Don't think I made it off the first level.

Robot Attack
I remember really liking the robots that stood on the side of the screen, but being confused as to what I was supposed to do.

Bullseye
Loved the picture of Bully the cartoon bull, but thought the game was a boring old load of shite. So quite an accurate recreation of the show.

Solar Invasion
Played this one quite a bit. Found the weird, undulating spherical alien things disgusting, and therefore satisfying to destroy.

Missile Ground Zero and Rookie
I have no memories of these. Maybe they were the last games on the tape.