Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:26:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Kank in a Tank

Started by Kankurette, September 16, 2021, 07:14:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

Tomorrow I'm going to this place for a floatation tank session. I can't remember where I found out about floatation tanks, but they sound fun, if a bit disorientating, and Epsom salt baths are meant to be good for people with chronic pain.

QuoteFloatation is an incredible means of achieving deep physical and mental relaxation as well as a whole host of other benefits from increased creativity to chronic pain relief.

When you float, you lie in a specially designed 8ft X 5 ft pod filled with a 10" salt-water solution. The water and air inside the tank are heated to skin temperature and, with over 1000lb of Epsom salt dissolved in the water, you are able to float effortlessly without the burden of gravity acting on your body.

Zero-gravity on Earth!!
The purpose of floatation is to free you from the often overwhelming flood of sensory input we have to process every second of every day. This unique environment allows your body and mind to experience a previously unimaginable level of relaxation in a weightless environment.

A Unique Environment

At Float Level, the rooms are soundproofed and, with the lid of the pod closed, you have an environment in which your normal senses of sight, sound, touch and smell are significantly reduced.

This creates an incredible and scientifically proven space for deep relaxation, which provides significant relief from stress and physical pain as well as access to, what scientists refer to as, primary process thinking which encourages enhanced creative thought patterns.

Anyone ever tried this and if so, what was it like for you?

Glebe

Nice Kanks, hope it's a chilled-out experience!

QDRPHNC

Yep, I've done it a bunch. If you have some experience with meditation, it helps a lot. My partner did it once at my behest and while she was happy to have done it, she also found it incredibly boring.

First time, I had a brief moment of panic. It was in one of the more squat tanks, and after maybe 2 minutes in the total darkness I suddenly felt a rush of intense claustrophobia, but reached up to the bar that helps you get in and out, and that made things better instantly, just the feeling of orientation.

I'd say if it's your first time and you manage to truly zone out for a period of 10-15 minutes, then you've done well. Oh, and your feet and hands may well bump the sides, and it takes much less force than you think to propel yourself back to the centre.

And every time I've done it - first time included - I've come out feeling great, mentally and physically. Loose, calm and in a receptive state of mind.

bgmnts

I suppose if you into meditation and all that it'll be incredible.

QDRPHNC

It sounded a bit wanky the way I put that. I don't meditate regularly at all, but I've done it enough to be somewhat familiar with getting into the mindset of stepping back from my thoughts and letting them go by. It's not a prerequisite for a good time in a floatation tank, but it does help supplement the extreme physical relaxation with the mental.

Kankurette

I've done pranayama yoga - I intend to restart at some point, now that I can breathe normally again - so I have a bit of experience with meditation. I'm always worrying about stuff, so being able to switch off for a bit will be good for me mentally.

I'm claustrophobic in crowds, but the thought of being in the tank doesn't scare me. It's pretty safe, I'm not worried I'll drown or whatever.

QDRPHNC

Totally safe, I'm sure you'll love it. You've put me in mind to check if my local place is open again.

TrenterPercenter

I've done a dry flotation thing (which is basically being suspended on a water bed) it was top; I lost all sense of time it seemed like I was there for 5 minutes but it was more like 40.  It will be great, enjoy.

paruses

I've done the flotation tank a few times. My experience is pretty much repeating what QDRPHNC says so I won't.

I mentioned it in the 7 Things 7 Days thread but you can adjust how much sensory deprecation you get in terms of light if you didn't want to go dark straight away. But yea I loved it - just the intentional disorientation is wonderful once you embrace it. For me that letting go of trying to be in control is great.

Would like to do one again now I am thinking of it but closest thing round me now would be a farmer letting me use their silage tank.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

It'll be good for your kankles

I've done it twice, the first time it felt like I was out of my body and I couldn't tell if I was asleep or awake, the second time I struggled to switch off my brain enough but still enjoyed it a lot.

One thing I made sure to do both times was to make sure my journey home was as peaceful as possible, meaning not walking down super loud and busy streets or on noisy buses/trains etc. as the feeling you get afterwards is a high that can last a while and genuinely make you feel very different about yourself, and too much of a jolt back into the brutality of the world can shake you out of that.

Mister Six

Not tried it, but comic book author Peter Milligan - who did some amazing stuff in the 1999s especially - used to float around in them, undergoing full sensory deprivation while meditating on his characters and how they would behave. I recall him saying he went a little mad and heard voices at one point, but that might have just been wacky profile-building author bantz.

H-O-W-L

I was expecting you to have stolen a T-90 main battle tank from a Russian Federation stockpile and gone on a big rampage. Clickbait!

non capisco

Quote from: Kankurette on September 16, 2021, 07:14:03 PM
Anyone ever tried this and if so, what was it like for you?

Better than lying around doing nothing wheyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Twit 2

I highly doubt a flotation tank is better than a joint in bath.

flotemysost

Hope it's a good experience for you, I've heard positive things from a friend who suffers with fatigue and muscle pain.

I'd like to try something relaxing and meditative like this, a few people I know have suggested it might be beneficial, but how do you teach yourself to be still and stop thinking about anything for a while? I mean I'm fucking great at zoning out when I'm supposed to be listening to/doing something else, but the idea of enforced (or at least voluntary) relaxation and stillness just feels really alien, however this

Quote from: thelittlemango on September 16, 2021, 10:23:59 PM
the feeling you get afterwards is a high that can last a while and genuinely make you feel very different about yourself, and too much of a jolt back into the brutality of the world can shake you out of that.

does sound very intriguing.

Sebastian Cobb

I hope you enjoy it. It's something that I keep meaning to try then forgetting about. I decided I'd like to do it under lockdown and found somewhere locally but forgot about it again. Hope it's good!

Echo Valley 2-6809

MikeP

I've not tried it. Been in an inverted helicopter escape tank a few times, but never found it to be "an incredible means of achieving deep physical and mental relaxation as well as a whole host of other benefits". Although I'm told drowning can be like that towards the end. Well, almost drowning, obviously.

Pink Gregory

badaids

I've devised  a free home made way of doing a deprivation tank.  I simply climb in the fridge or freezer and pull the door to. Just Chuck out any food to make space. It is best to avoid doing it around meal times though.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: flotemysost on September 17, 2021, 12:29:36 AM
Hope it's a good experience for you, I've heard positive things from a friend who suffers with fatigue and muscle pain.

I'd like to try something relaxing and meditative like this, a few people I know have suggested it might be beneficial, but how do you teach yourself to be still and stop thinking about anything for a while? I mean I'm fucking great at zoning out when I'm supposed to be listening to/doing something else, but the idea of enforced (or at least voluntary) relaxation and stillness just feels really alien, however this

Get in there with a load of paperwork that needs doing, you r mind will start dissasociating before you know it

You'll also be very aware of any little cuts or nicks you have on your body as the water is full of an immense amount of salt, that will take your mind off things as you float away in a ball of agony.

monkfromhavana

who cares

Quote from: Mister Six on September 16, 2021, 10:29:20 PM
I recall him saying he went a little mad and heard voices at one point, but that might have just been wacky profile-building author bantz.

I can believe that. If you abruptly deprive the mind of most of its stimuli, it might like to fill the void with that kind of thing.

madhair60

idunnosomename

Havent thought about these since the 90s when sitcom characters occasionally used to get trapped or masturbate in them

Kankurette

Well, here goes nothing.
Quote from: Pink Gregory on September 17, 2021, 06:08:42 AM
Good point, what happens if you need a wee?
They let you go beforehand.
Quote from: madhair60 on September 17, 2021, 11:19:17 AM
Have a wank in the tank
I wondered when someone would say this and you did not disappoint, kind sir.

Dex Sawash

Wife went to a "salt cave" recently. Just a room lined with Himalayan pink salt blocks.
$100 for her and a friend to sit on lawn chairs in a pinkish-brown room for an hour.
Nice grift on the part of the woo merchants.