Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,351
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AOC's "tax the rich" dress [split topic]

Started by JaDanketies, September 16, 2021, 12:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

checkoutgirl

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 16, 2021, 10:31:33 PM
people that are rich are primarily invested in staying rich, so i'm not sure it's aimed at them. not sure who it's aimed it! just a bit nothing innit

AOC draws eyeballs because of her ethnicity/sex and because she's outspoken. There's an element of preaching to the choir but but I'm all for direct action stunts. There's a crew called the Yes Men who made a film a few years ago and they showed up on Newsmax recently https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r7S6GEmeCE and basically said some home truths.

I can't see the issue with telling a propaganda network what they are or bringing attention to issues like taxing the rich. Rich people are shielded from shit like this way too much by police, politicians and private security firms. Fuck them.

You might say it's just an empty stunt with no substance but AOC is doing stuff in actual government too. 

Goldentony

it definitely wont work and next year there'll be another load of shit at this fuckfest for everyone to argue over like every year while fuck all happens

Goldentony

isn't the Oscars soon, more great shit to wonder about

Goldentony

if the American rich are taxed significantly within the next 25 years I will have sex with my dad's big arsehole

Goldentony

I look forward to reading this in another 30 years when "we're so close"

Goldentony

fucking inflatable trump dress dogshit, eat my arse

Goldentony

every year I have to watch Aristotle Onassis and Lady Gaga walk up some stairs dressed as bastards

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Goldentony on September 18, 2021, 09:00:21 PM
isn't the Oscars soon, more great shit to wonder about

'member 2003 when Michael Moore collected his award for Bowling For Columbine and was booed off the stage by the so called liberal Hollywood elite and his mic was cut, for rightly saying the Iraq war was a trumped up pile of dogshit.

Shame he can't win an Oscar every year.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: pigamus on September 16, 2021, 10:38:56 PM
Not by someone who enjoys hanging out with lots of rich people at their rich-people party, no. Come on, you've got to see the problem here.

The rich aren't going to listen either way I'm sure, but better her than a homeless guy covered in piss screaming at them as they enter the building. It's a direct action type statement and I'm not sure what the problem is with it. Can you please explain the problem here?

kngen

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 18, 2021, 09:27:38 PM
The rich aren't going to listen either way I'm sure, but better her than a homeless guy covered in piss screaming at them as they enter the building. It's a direct action type statement and I'm not sure what the problem is with it. Can you please explain the problem here?

I'm not frothing with rage at AOC's dress, but I did roll my eyes a little, while somewhere deep inside my head my Guy Debord alarm was going off. It was probably this quote that caused the sound of bells ringing in the distance.

"Capitalism could appropriate even the most radical ideas and return them safely in the form of harmless ideologies."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kngen on September 18, 2021, 09:47:23 PM
"Capitalism could appropriate even the most radical ideas and return them safely in the form of harmless ideologies."

They're selling hippie wigs in Woolworths man.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'd hate to be a homeless guy covered in piss. Imagine that, and having political opinions.

JaDanketies

I actually think I legitimately like Lil Nas X. Decided today when a new song of his came on the radio. I was listening to Radio 1 and feeling young. He was there, taking selfies with pop stars when you're not supposed to. This is the met gala reaction thread, right?

checkoutgirl

Quote from: kngen on September 18, 2021, 09:47:23 PM

So we just say nothing? That's what they want, apathy.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 18, 2021, 10:07:40 PM
I'd hate to be a homeless guy covered in piss. Imagine that, and having political opinions.

Oh please. My point is the rich are never going to listen them. Nobody will listen to them, rightly or wrongly. Until they organise and make them listen and if they can manage that they would be less likely to be homeless.

But yeah, let's fight amongst ourselves even though we're basically on the same side. That will work out great.

Video Game Fan 2000

I'm not on the same side as a member of the American democratic party.

You just argued against "saying nothing", then say that the homeless and working class people won't say anything. I hear mobs have been frighteningly effective throughout history.

The revolts after George Floyd and Eric Garner's murders started with people who had nothing at all.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 18, 2021, 10:09:40 PM
I actually think I legitimately like Lil Nas X.

I love that guy. Is he the first gay rap performer ever?

Video Game Fan 2000

Foule esclave, debout debout
C'est nous le droit, c'est nous le nombre
Nous qui n'étions rien, soyons tout

JaDanketies

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 18, 2021, 10:17:09 PM

He did get a lot of positive and negative attention for coming out; I think it's because he broke through as a mainstream artist before he came out, in the notoriously homophobic hip hop scene. I feel like plugging Moodie Black who sounds nothing like Lil Nas X and is not gay but trans, but who has been going for "over a decade". Industrial / noise rap.

kngen

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 18, 2021, 10:10:04 PM
So we just say nothing? That's what they want, apathy.

No, but sloganeering that falls within the bounds defined by the establishment soon turns to empty rhetoric. I'd argue that expecting anything to change by those methods while people are getting their skulls cracked by the NYPD a matter of feet away is significantly worse than apathy.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 18, 2021, 10:17:09 PM

Someone hasn't heard Wham Rap

Dusty Substance

It blows my mind that this happened.

There are only two explanations that lead to this happening....

Either AOC's PR team are a bunch of fucking dummies and didn't know this stunt would very obviously backfire.

Or her PR team advised her not go to the gala and AOC overrode them.

I used to quite like AOC, saw her as a breath of fresh air but this was insanely short-sighted.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 19, 2021, 12:37:46 PM

I used to quite like AOC, saw her as a breath of fresh air but this was insanely short-sighted.

Liking anything is, tbf.

Spoiler alert
except for milkshake duck!
[close]

mothman

It blows my mind that this happened.

There are only two explanations that lead to this happening....

Either AOC's PR team are a bunch of fucking dummies and didn't know this stunt would very obviously backfire.

I keep wondering whether there was some little voice in her head saying "It's just a celebrity party, not really that different to being a guest panellist on Drag Race, can't do any harm, surely?" PR isn't an exact science. It reminds me of the Gal Gadot "Imagine" debacle. That probably seemed a good idea at the time. A few celebs singing a song to cheer everyone up during lockdown, what's the worst that could happen?

Video Game Fan 2000

Probably the latter and it was overrode by Vogue or whoever arranged for the whole thing to happen, there is zero chance it was spontaneous. The giveaway is AOC advertising the "immigrant woman of colour" (owner of a luxury brand) who designed the dress on her Twitter. Aesthetically its different to Trump putting Goya beans on the Whitehouse desk but ethically...surely its using public office for advertising?

She called her critics "haters" too. Great.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: mothman on September 19, 2021, 03:03:39 PM
I keep wondering whether there was some little voice in her head saying "It's just a celebrity party, not really that different to being a guest panellist on Drag Race, can't do any harm, surely?" PR isn't an exact science. It reminds me of the Gal Gadot "Imagine" debacle. That probably seemed a good idea at the time. A few celebs singing a song to cheer everyone up during lockdown, what's the worst that could happen?

You might be right about that little voice in AOC's head but people in the public eye really ought to know better in the era of social media and everyone being able to air their opinion.

The difference between the "Tax The Rich" dress and Gal Gadot's "Imagine" video is that actors are kind of already ridiculous figures to one degree or other. Plus people are far more willing to forgive actors than politicians.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 19, 2021, 04:11:01 PM
the "immigrant woman of colour" (owner of a luxury brand) who designed the dress on her Twitter.

Who also happens to be the girlfriend of Benjamin Bronfman, a man with a net worth of $100milllion.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 19, 2021, 04:11:01 PMShe called her critics "haters" too. Great.

Yeah, not a good look.

Oops, it now appears that Aurora James's company has allegedly been hit with multiple tax warrants.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/aoc-dress-designer-owes-taxes-b1922909.html

GoblinAhFuckScary

bgmnts

Considering the actual president barely paid any tax, it would be incredible if anyone kicked up a fuss about that.

Video Game Fan 2000

If I was a member of the DSA I'd probably be hoping for this to be the end of the AOC phenom because it shows a fatal lack of judgement and very dodgy willingness to do work for a big brand (Vogue) so long as its the right image - but she still seems to be doing pretty solid work in organising and fundraising, so she could still move to that keep doing good stuff without losing face.