Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:41:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

AOC's "tax the rich" dress [split topic]

Started by JaDanketies, September 16, 2021, 12:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

oops

it's weird though, but it looks like every politicians over there do that

imitationleather

bgmnts

I suppose the best/only way to get the message out to the people who outside of your ideological bubble is to expose yourself to hypocrisy by attending events like these.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2021, 05:32:42 AM
I suppose the best/only way to get the message out to the people who outside of your ideological bubble is to expose yourself to hypocrisy by attending events like these.

....explained Napoleon to the other animals.

AllisonSays

For hilarious hypocrisy I preferred your one whose granda ran the black and tans wearing a 'peg the patriarchy' blouse.

bgmnts

Quote from: jamiefairlie on September 17, 2021, 05:42:44 AM

....explained Napoleon to the other animals.

I suppose but are we supposed to focus on the hypocrisy over the message?

king_tubby

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 17, 2021, 07:46:57 AM
For hilarious hypocrisy I preferred your one whose granda ran the black and tans wearing a 'peg the patriarchy' blouse.

Yeah, that was a spectacular misfire.

phantom_power

This is all a bit silly. The right are using this as a way to attack her and parts of the left are joining in. Regardless of whether they think she was silly or hypocritical they should be defending her. It is not a sin so egregious that she should be shunned. What happened to solidarity?

To be clear I am not talking about people saying things on here that have no effect. I am talking about blue ticks and other commentators on Twitter and in the media. The right circle the wagons when one of theirs gets attacked. The left seem to let them get thrown to the wolves if they don't pass their own personal purity test

JaDanketies

I'd like to apologise for initially claiming that this kind of cringy purity test was just for kids, clearly I was incorrect

Mr Banlon

Has Ben Garrison done a cartoon of her at the Met Gala yet ? He'll probably be pissed at her because the dress has already got writing on it.

katzenjammer

Quote from: phantom_power on September 17, 2021, 09:44:20 AM
This is all a bit silly. The right are using this as a way to attack her and parts of the left are joining in. Regardless of whether they think she was silly or hypocritical they should be defending her. It is not a sin so egregious that she should be shunned. What happened to solidarity?

Absolutely. This is why the left loses so much, always tying itself in knots. Question and criticize by all means but don't do the right's work for them. 

Buelligan

Quote from: phantom_power on September 17, 2021, 09:44:20 AM

To be clear I am not talking about people saying things on here that have no effect. I am talking about blue ticks and other commentators on Twitter and in the media. The right circle the wagons when one of theirs gets attacked. The left seem to let them get thrown to the wolves if they don't pass their own personal purity test

I think the problem for the left is that the elite always try to undermine and buy our heroes with the usual, an invitation into powerful and exclusive circles, a little velvet stroke to the ego, a plum job, a place on the board, medals, whatevs.  We've seen it since the dawn of time, is it any wonder the cannon-fodder get ikey when they see their leaders popping those rich little rocks into their pipes?

AOC, like Corbyn, needs to walk a precarious line, purity will undoubtedly come into it, sometimes, because she's human, because we all are, mistakes will be made.  In this instance, I think she would have been wiser not to go or to be outside, in that dress, maybe, with the protestors.

phantom_power

The irony is that if she had just turned up to the event in a normal dress and not drawn attention to herself I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid. The fact that she at least tried to use it as a platform to get a message across, that many others wouldn't have done and wouldn't have been willing to draw a target on their back, is what has caused her to get criticism from the left.

imitationleather

I thought the dress was funny and good. Thanks.

Buelligan

Quote from: phantom_power on September 17, 2021, 10:33:35 AM
The irony is that if she had just turned up to the event in a normal dress and not drawn attention to herself I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid. The fact that she at least tried to use it as a platform to get a message across, that many others wouldn't have done and wouldn't have been willing to draw a target on their back, is what has caused her to get criticism from the left.

Think for a moment what it would have done if she'd arrived in her limo, or whatevs, turned around, in that dress, and walked into the crowd of protestors.  Joined them. 

When you're AOC, it's not about what would be acceptable or what you'd like, it's about choosing the way forward that shows your agenda clearly to everyone.

Petey Pate

And this did lead to Ben Shapiro uncomfortably talking about sex again, which is always good comedy value.

https://youtu.be/ja8M4AWY01M

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mr Banlon on September 17, 2021, 10:10:26 AM
Has Ben Garrison done a cartoon of her at the Met Gala yet ? He'll probably be pissed at her because the dress has already got writing on it.
imagine if AOC had wore a dress that just said CUM on it

imitationleather

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 17, 2021, 10:57:55 AM

Apparently Glinner often wears stuff with CUM on it.

pigamus

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 17, 2021, 10:57:55 AM

Well the Chilean Union of Mineworkers need all the help they can get

Dex Sawash

Is LJAMC ok? There's a Motörhead thread title riff post just laying there

Buelligan

Surely it needs another syllable or am I thinking of something else?

Dex Sawash

Kankurette

Burn her at the stake.
I had to google her and shit, you're right! Did not know that her grandad was that guy. Or that she went to Bedales. I knew a family who sent their daughters there and they were the poshest people I've ever met. Bedales is batshit. Give me my crappy comprehensive any day. Lily Allen went there too.

Kankurette

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on September 16, 2021, 11:07:57 PM
A new liberal backlash against PC.

The present moment feels very loaded. Like a millenials contentedly saying "and that's why our generations values will persist forever..."
I thought liberals were supposed to be pro-PC?

Video Game Fan 2000

They're pro whatever makes them seem distinct from people with lower social status or less expensive educations. Social justice/PC was a great marker of that about 15 years ago, now not so much. It's old hat. People who would have tipped fedoras and posted Hitchens memes are on board now so... 

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Buelligan on September 17, 2021, 10:38:16 AM
Think for a moment what it would have done if she'd arrived in her limo, or whatevs, turned around, in that dress, and walked into the crowd of protestors.  Joined them. 

When you're AOC, it's not about what would be acceptable or what you'd like, it's about choosing the way forward that shows your agenda clearly to everyone.

Hey, it's our resident member of

Video Game Fan 2000

AOC did choose a way in which her agenda is clear to everyone. Her agenda is: I am going to have a wonderful career in the democratic party.

Thursday