Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:46:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Jack Whitehall Travels With My Father

Started by Virgo76, September 17, 2021, 08:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

They visited Portmeirion without ever once mentioning the TV show, The Prisoner. I've never seen anyone do that before.
It doesn't exactly feel like progress, does it?

gilbertharding

Do they mention Clough Williams Ellis?

Or was it completely devoid of any curiosity about the lives, circumstances and history of anything other than Jack Whitehall and his fucking dad?

phantom_power

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him but I really can't see the appeal of Jack Whitehall's dad. At least the son has learned to at least feign humility. His dad just seems like a smug, rich Tory cunt with the relatability and warmth of a Rees-Mogg or a Gove, or heaven forbid Stanley fucking Jonhson

Chollis

saw the trailer for this. that's quite enough Jack Whitehall for me thanks

madhair60

ProvanFan

I'd like to do a travel show with my dad. Just us walking around in silence until we have a drink later on and he's able to bring himself to speak.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I saw a bit of one once and Steven Seagal threw Jack Whitehall into a pool of water outside a hotel. I know it was staged but I like the idea that he's so annoying that people inflict random acts of violence upon him. His Dad should have gone in the pool though.

the science eel

Quote from: phantom_power on September 17, 2021, 11:10:15 AM
Admittedly I haven't seen much of him but I really can't see the appeal of Jack Whitehall's dad. At least the son has learned to at least feign humility. His dad just seems like a smug, rich Tory cunt with the relatability and warmth of a Rees-Mogg or a Gove, or heaven forbid Stanley fucking Jonhson

His dad actually makes the show. The first couple of series, anyway.

Jack Whitehall is a child.

jobotic

The dad's a cunt and his son's a wanker.

We've already got Stanley Johnson.

Still it's nice that these rich cunts get paid a lot to go to nice places. I like it when Ayoade goes on holiday with his mates too and takes the piss out of places I will never ever be able to visit.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'm pretty sure I heard about this on here, but his dad was Richard E Grant's agent, and in his autobiography Grant referred to him only as "The Dwarf". Or was it "The Shit"? Can't remember.

turnstyle

I went there once. You're supposed to pay to go in, but we were just pottering about nearby and happened to walk right into the middle of it. Didn't get chased by any balloons or anything. Seriously lax security guys, absolute joke.

I'm guessing during the making of the show, they toyed with the idea of mentioning The Prisoner, until some exec pulled out an iPad with a pie chart showing their target audience, which indicated that they had likely never heard of The Prisoner, and more so, didn't give a flying fuck. 'So, instead of all that history wank', said the exec, probably called Jared, 'Lets get some wicked shots of Jack and his Dad fucking about and annoying people, yeah? Make sure to get a decent 5 second clip of some wicked shit too so we can send that shit viral on the socials'.

It's what Patrick McGoohan would have wanted.

frajer

I am not a number, I am paid content.

Both Whitehalls really are insufferable entitled shits. I heard half the edit is trying to find footage where they're not just flicking lit matches as they walk, and braying with laughter.

Mister Six

Nobody going to do a gag about Whitehall travelling with Virgo76's dad, then?

I thought the first series was quite fun, but in the second they either relied more on contrived set-ups or got worse at hiding them.

ProvanFan

I went to the inaugural Festival No. 6 there no one would shut up about The Prisoner. It was inescapable.

turnstyle

Quote from: ProvanFan on September 17, 2021, 12:09:43 PM
I went to the inaugural Festival No. 6 there no one would shut up about The Prisoner. It was inescapable.

Ironic innit?

ProvanFan

Echo Valley 2-6809

I don't live too far away and have never mentioned The Prisoner.

'And this is where XTC did that video for The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul.'
'Oh God, you say that every time we come here.'

(I'd have shouted 'You're 33! Why are still going on holiday with your parents?' if I'd seen him.)

checkoutgirl

Quote from: jobotic on September 17, 2021, 11:42:29 AMThe dad's a cunt and his son's a wanker.

It's weird because travel shows used to be done by people like Alan Wicker, Michael Palin and Judith Chalmers who were bearable to pleasant depending on what you fancy yourself. Now we have irritating Jack Whitehall and his annoying dad.

There's even an Irish version where a knob I don't know the name of goes around the world with his fucknut of a mother. The gag is the Peter Kay trope of her being unworldly and not understanding anything. The joke's on the viewer though because after all this travel she'll be a lot more urbane and a bit later she'll probably be dead.

It's torture and I have to leave the room quickly if it's on. I don't know who these people are or why they're on telly and have similar fellings about Gogglebox, Love Island and Big Brother etc etc.

Chollis

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 17, 2021, 12:40:06 PM
There's even an Irish version where a knob I don't know the name of goes around the world with his fucknut of a mother. The gag is the Peter Kay trope of her being unworldly and not understanding anything. The joke's on the viewer though because after all this travel she'll be a lot more urbane and a bit later she'll probably be dead.

Russell Howard did this one as well didn't he, with his mum (what is she like!). Did Romesh Ranganathan do one too with his mum? All the panel show lads are at it.

famethrowa

[Michael Winner voice] "I've never BEEN to Portmeirion."

Bad Ambassador

There was a series last year, on ITV of all places, about a year in the life of Portmeirion. It was surprisingly goodnatured and interesting. Lots of people have weddings there, there's a big wildlife reserve on the doorstep, loads of work goes into restoring and maintaining all the buidlings and fittings. It was old people telly, but rather warm and cosy. Unlike this pair of monkey rapists.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Chollis on September 17, 2021, 01:11:18 PM
Russell Howard did this one as well didn't he, with his mum (what is she like!). Did Romesh Ranganathan do one too with his mum? All the panel show lads are at it.

I'm not sure Romesh has ever been on a tv show that didn't involve his mother.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on September 17, 2021, 03:01:23 PM
There was a series last year, on ITV of all places, about a year in the life of Portmeirion. It was surprisingly goodnatured and interesting. Lots of people have weddings there, there's a big wildlife reserve on the doorstep, loads of work goes into restoring and maintaining all the buidlings and fittings. It was old people telly, but rather warm and cosy. Unlike this pair of monkey rapists.

I first heard of Port Merion when Jools Holland (wait - come back!) presented an episode of One Foot in the Past about it in 1994: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIvOSjESXO8

Actually, that's not quite true: I'd heard of The Prisoner by then, thanks to the Times's great song I Helped Patrick McGoohan Escape https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxAxwnn1iU.

gilbertharding

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 17, 2021, 03:07:28 PM
I'm not sure Romesh has ever been on a tv show that didn't involve his mother.

Her presence is always heavily implied, even if she doesn't actually appear.

Goldentony

ifI lived in Portmeirion id think FUCK THE PRISONER

imitationleather

I've been to Portmeirion. If I'd seen the Whitehalls while I was there it would have really tarnished the experience.

Absolutely cannot bear Old Man Whitehall. As has already been observed, he's yet another one of those English "characters" we're supposed to find endearing with their pomposity and hard-right views. Fuck that, guy's a prick man. Get him in da mincer.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Norton Canes

Almost a whole page on Portmeirion and no mention of The Masque of Mandragora? It doesn't exactly feel like progress etc.