Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:13:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mary Beard

Started by bgmnts, September 17, 2021, 01:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

She's fucking ace isn't she? Is her telly stuff any good? I've only gone through a couple of books but really enjoyed how accessible she is.
Is she widely accepted in the historical community?

Chollis

Chollis

sorry thought this was about Mary Berry

Ignatius_S

Quote from: bgmnts on September 17, 2021, 01:25:22 PM
She's fucking ace isn't she? Is her telly stuff any good? I've only gone through a couple of books but really enjoyed how accessible she is.
Is she widely accepted in the historical community?

Beard is a much-respected Cambridge professor and won a number of awards - I'll stick my neck out and say yes.

Her television work is brilliant and definitely recommend it. Also, Beard is a regular contributor on In Our Time - a show I would recommend with anyway, but always great when she's in an episode. 

poo

Dex Sawash

I marry a beard[nb]is this one of those slurs now?[/nb]

Butchers Blind

I remember her when she was still Mary Stubble.

Gurke and Hare

Doesn't she have terfy tendencies? I don't know the circumstances of why I think this, but it's a link that's formed in my head at some point. I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong though.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 17, 2021, 04:53:07 PM
Doesn't she have terfy tendencies? I don't know the circumstances of why I think this, but it's a link that's formed in my head at some point. I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong though.

She changed her name to Beard in solidarity with Linehan.

TrenterPercenter

Ironically, Mary Beard is the only member of ZZ Top who doesn't have a beard.

chveik

Janie Jones

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on September 17, 2021, 04:53:07 PM

In 2015 she signed an anti-censorship petition that was considered transphobic. If only you had access to an internet search engine, you might have been able to ascertain this before making your shit-stirring post.

Noodle Lizard

I very much like her TV work, with Meet The Romans being especially good, and I appreciate that while she obviously has a great deal of admiration for Ancient Rome, it doesn't stop her from debunking some of the more romantic notions about it - although she does occasionally veer close to hand-waving some of the Empire's atrocities.

I don't think she's as good in debate, though, tending to get a bit flustered and defensive whenever one of her viewpoints is challenged at the expense of her own argument (for my money, as a non-scholar, I'd think she's correct more often than not).

I haven't read any of her books, so I can't comment on those, but the general consensus among history fans seems to be that her best work is in making accessible documentaries that offer an uncommon insight into Roman life rather than just a chronology of what happened when. Very glad they exist.

shiftwork2

Into Pompeii fresco cocks, but frankly who isn't?

Bigfella

Skimming over this week's TV Mag I was delighted to learn that Mary Beard returns with 'Inside Culture' on Friday on BBC2.  Probing the very nature of laughter, she talks to Professor of cognitive neurosciences Sophie Scott and comedians Shaparak Khorsandi and David Baddiel.  Oh, and John Barrowman is on QI on Thursday - wonder if they'll mention the willie-waving.

idunnosomename

Yes she has a history of being very nasty on Twitter, quote tweeting people who disagree with her conservative positions of transgender issues and the Rhodes Must Fall excusing them of sexism towards her.

Most notoriously she weighed in with an extraordinarily bad racist take in the Oxfam sex scandal and then posted a selfie of herself crying to play the victim.

It's happened far too many times now. She's a very priveleged person with a Cambridge chair and some deeply conservative views she wraps up shitty "both sides" claptrap who can't take even the mildest criticism by people she deems beneath her.

It was awful a cunt like Rod Liddle was horrid about her, but she shouldn't go down to his level. Sad really. But shows what a fucking awful institution Oxbridge is and what it does to people

pancreas

The turgid and ill-informed conversations that tend to go on in college SCRs are certainly partly to blame. There is a detached, insulated braying in which all the self-proclaimed sensible opinions are obvious. No acknowledgement of the political assumptions underlying them. But mainly it's still the fault of the people themselves (most egregiously the Boomers) who allow their brains to moulder in this way. I did not suffer from this problem.