Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:30:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adam & Joe on XFM

Started by benthalo, March 01, 2004, 12:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benthalo

Apparently they've taken over the Gervais & Merchant slot permanently, although there's a prize for anyone who can find out from the website when the hell this happened. They were certainly broadcasting on Saturday just gone.

Anyone hear it? Their last run of shows were rather good.

Godzilla Bankrolls

I downloaded a couple of shows from their last run and they were  a bit poor, I thought. It seemed as if they'd just thought of a few segments that might work on radio and then hoped they could wing the rest of it instead of having a tight script which was worth listening to.

Papercut

They started about a month ago, I've listened the last couple. Its the same format as when they filled for Gervais and Merchant.

Its pretty good, enjoyably shambolic. Their critique of films, tv shows and adverts is always interesting.

benthalo

Quote from: "Beloved Aunt"It seemed as if they'd just thought of a few segments that might work on radio and then hoped they could wing the rest of it instead of having a tight script which was worth listening to.

Depends which ones you heard, really. Of the 13 shows, I remember a couple of them being pretty deathly and the early ones were certainly thin on features, but they built up to a good geniality towards the end - airing annoyances of the week (some splendid rants by Buxton) and just throwing material in at random. There was a piece by Adam about actors reading poetry far too seriously in BBC adverts which had me on the floor. A lot of memorable moments, all told. The shows built on one another quite well.

Having said all of that, I did expect something different at the time. Buxton did a string of shows for BBC London in late 2000, with studio guests, his choice of records and the requisite 'zoo format'. The Baaadad/Graham Linehan/Louis Theroux/Beta Band/Joe Cornish edition was a scream. The XFM programmes really need an element of that, but the playlist rules of the station are just too restrictive.

Thanks for narrowing the dates down. I'll be listening whenever I can.