Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,383
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:23:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Distinctly British telly

Started by Kankurette, September 17, 2021, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

"We will do everything we can to protect it in the years ahead.

That's the job of government: to think not just about today, but about tomorrow, too.

Thank you."

No sorry can you come back and explain what the fuck you are talking about please

Kankurette

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 18, 2021, 12:40:00 AM
So does this mean the long-awaited Eldorado reboot is a possibility? Or would it have to be set in Skegness?

Big Bang Theory had lots of British references, so E4 will still be able to repeat it 20 hours a day.

Bullseye revival.
Bridlington 999, the new cop show.

purlieu

British brand.

Fucking British fucking brand.

Good God.

Mr Farenheit

I, Claudius
Going For Gold
The South Bank Show 1979 episode about Francis Ford Copolla
BBC 2016 documentary 'The Joy of Rachmaninoff'
Nature documentaries about komodo dragons, blue whales, penguins, cheetahs or other foreign animals
News stories about events in foreign countries with no British people involved
...and many more

Can all get to fuck

Blumf

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on September 18, 2021, 12:55:05 AM
"We will do everything we can to protect it in the years ahead.

That's the job of government: to think not just about today, but about tomorrow, too.

Thank you."

No sorry can you come back and explain what the fuck you are talking about please

Have you really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like British TV?

petril

the Post Office deciding when it can be on
adverts for share prospectuses
only showing films about four years after release
everything following the end of the snooker
daytime = saxophone
evening = saxophone
late night = lonely saxophone

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Why only last week Channel 4 showed Help, an angry drama set in Liverpool about how Johnson's government fucked over the care home sector during the pandemic. You can't get more distinctly British than that. Honestly, these people are never happy.

chveik

can't they just make good shows, regardless of politics

bbc drama has become synonymous with mediocrity. and they all look the same

An tSaoi

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on September 17, 2021, 08:51:09 PM
Think it would be called Londonderry Girls if it was distinctly British.

The creator and cast have responded.

https://www.irishpost.com/life-style/derry-girls-stars-react-to-uk-media-ministers-claim-show-is-distinctively-british-220390

Mr Whittingdale's comments immediately caused a mocking Twitter storm, with one person tagging Derry Girls creator Lisa McGee in the article, to which she replied:

"The most 'ach, I can't be dealing with this today' headline I've seen about the show. And there's been a few."

And star Siobhán McSweeney, who plays the fan-favourite Sister Michael, said:

"Derry Girls is made by a British company and aired by a British channel. But it's not a 'distinctively British' programme.

"But what would I know?"

SpiderChrist

jamiefairlie

The weird thing about all of this return to Britishness thing is that the era they try to conjure up was one that had massive state ownership which did tend to promote a British feel to all sorts of things but they'll never dare admit that.

Fambo Number Mive

Isn't a squadron a term used in the RAF not the British Army?

thenoise

So, Telly that Brits love but the rest of the world hates then. Gotcha.

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 17, 2021, 10:18:44 PM
- Fits in with the assertive Britishness/Britain as 'one nation and not four' propaganda agenda against the campaigns for Scottish and Welsh independence, and Irish reunification.

This would explain Derry Girls being mysteriously listed alongside Only Fools, as if they represent two sides of the same Great British CharacterTM

Magnum Valentino

It was mentioned in that speech that Derry Girls, which was about the Troubles, could only be made here (Britain).

The classification of distinctly British values involved in the Troubles, like, are they boasting about this?!

Treading carefully but confident enough to at least issue a "catch yourself on", there.

Cuellar

I still don't know what 'brilliantly entertaining but rootless' programmes they're talking about that they don't want

Brundle-Fly

purlieu

Quote from: Cuellar on September 18, 2021, 09:42:56 PM
I still don't know what 'brilliantly entertaining but rootless' programmes they're talking about that they don't want
Yeah, I don't really know either. If we're to take the list of Blackadder Goes Forth, Only Fools and Horses and Derry Girls as an inspiration, then anything that is scathing towards the British establishment and its role in starting wars, tax-dodging wheeler-dealers selling stolen gear and shows highlighting the disastrous long-term consequences of England meddling with Ireland's affairs seems to be fair play, so as long as the actors don't sound like the people you hear when you ring up call centres, I'm sure anything is absolutely fine and utterly British.

beanheadmcginty

Anybody up for writing a sitcom about the Falklands conflict? Guaranteed to be greenlit I reckon.

purlieu

The Final Cut
Written by Roger Waters

Episode 6: The Final Solution

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on September 18, 2021, 10:06:41 PM
Anybody up for writing a sitcom about the Falklands conflict? Guaranteed to be greenlit I reckon.

Noel Edmonds Golden Military Gotchas

PlanktonSideburns

No sense of place? Sex education looked like a strange combination of fashions, of British and American cliches, it had lockers like American ones, but also felt like hog warts. I'm sure this was deliberate, but how can you mention that that show is quintessentially british? It looked more like riverdale than grange hill

PlanktonSideburns

Also, did this fucking cunt not mention I May Destroy You in his list of great British TV? What's the matter mate, not enough white people in it or what?

In the article quoted in the OP, Doctor Who is cited as an example of "clearly British telly."  Still, I guess in that would-be alien immigrants to Earth typically get sent packing in no uncertain terms, with the Doc himself/herself taking a leading part in this, like native British children to immigrant parents winding up the drawbridge to newer immigrants.

monkfromhavana

Could be set in this pub, kinda like a true British version of 'Cheers'.

Kankurette

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 18, 2021, 10:21:18 PM
Also, did this fucking cunt not mention I May Destroy You in his list of great British TV? What's the matter mate, not enough white people in it or what?
And Goodness Gracious Me. Going for an English, anyone?

Cold Meat Platter

buttgammon

These Septic Isles

1. Argie Bargie - meet three squaddies who man the weather station on remote Shag Island. Their days of wanking over birds with big tits and lighting their farts are over when Generalissimo Esteban Argie comes over in a big ship and takes the squaddies hostage. They plan an ingenious escape with only a six pack of Carling, a laminated copy of The Sun and a jar of racist jam to aid them.

2. God Save The Queens - it's HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother's birthday and the lads plan a big celebration above a newly finished mass grave full of Argentine sailors. But first, they must teach a passing cruise ship full of homosexuals a valuable lesson.

3. Seal Clubbing - it's a weekend off for the lads, who set up their own nightclub with only a six pack of Carling, a laminated copy of The Sun and a jar of racist jam. Unfortunately, a local species of marine mammal is about to begin its breeding season on the island, and the lads must secure their club against the incursions of the pinniped scum.

4. Over the Top? - the lads are sent to Port Stanley to firebomb the Argies, but first, they must deal with some of the local sheepshaggers who keep trying to insert expensive British military equipment up their anuses.

5. Blacklad(der) - as they join in the offensive that is sweeping the Argies out of are territory, the lads enjoy a piss-up with some other squaddies, one of whom is one of 'them'. They have some harmless fun at his expense, but will General PC Pisser, paid up member of the Loony Left see the funny side?

6. Three Wise Men (Christmas Special) - as they prepare to return to Blighty, the lads reminisce about the japes they've enjoyed in the South Atlantic, all of which took place within the Total Exclusion Zone (honest guvnor!)

beanheadmcginty

This TV commissioning lark is easier than I thought

dissolute ocelot

No more Linehan ripping off Seinfeld. IT Crowd isn't British. No more Paris either.

Everything is British. English language. Nothing is. TV was invented in Russia.